Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 03:08 PM   #1
AL061160
AF Newbie

battery cable

How about a $900.00 battery cable!

Last week I noticed I had neglected to keep the positive cable clean and it had corroded some. I went to my local dealer and was surprised to learn that cables are only available in a wiring package that costs $749.00 plys tax plus installation.There are actually two positive wires molded into the terminal connector.

I was told a parts house could provide a cable. O'Reilly's informed me that I would have to get a package from a dealer.

I called another dealer and was told it would cost $749.00 plus tax plus labor.

I went back to my dealer to determine whether I could take parts from a wreck.

While the parts man and I were looking at the $749.00 item on the Dodge parts system monitor and trying to find a solution, the service manager happened by and overheard our conversation. He said I will personally solve your problem right now. He cut the 2 wires from the connector, attached them to an old style connector, and charged me $3.77 including tax - no labor.

There are some good people out there. However, I wonder how many people have paid about $900.00.

AL
AL061160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: battery cable

Too many.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
lobo77
AF Newbie

Re: battery cable

I had the same problem so i removed the battery and seperated the cable from the other wires as far down the line as I could. This part of the cable had no corrosion. I crimped on an electrical lug rom a local hardware store. Then I bought a generic cable from AutoZone. The lug on the new cable matched the one from the hardware store. Then I bolted them together and wrapped the whole thing with electrical tape. There is also a product available for the marine industry call Liquid Tape. Make sure the cable you buy has the extra wire which you will also have to connect. This is the cheapest way I know to get around this problem. Mine is a 96 model and so far there has been no problem. Tom
lobo77 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager