Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 06:38 AM   #1
rrbtheman
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to rrbtheman
1989 plymouth voyager problems

i have a 1989 plymouth voyager 2.5L and it runs kinda crapy and i was wonder if there is a way to check the computer for codes by my self i know with gm cars you can hock up a light and it blinks with a serten code but i dont know with plymouth and another it never warms up i replaced the thermastad the mid one not the fale safe garbage and it still dosent warm also the cruise control shuts off when i first got the van it wrok not a problem and that was a year ago now it shuts off ever 1 to 5 mins i replaced the unit it self the air lines the switch at the break puddle and still nother if anyone can help thanks.
rrbtheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
yogi_123rd
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1989 plymouth voyager problems

Chysler computer codes (80-95 Chysler's):

Chysler faults codes are stored in the computer for up to 50 ignition starts. Each code is two digits. Beware that some problems can generate multiple faults codes.
The code's meaning (i.e. faulty sensor) can be found by doing a web search using keywords
"Chryler computer codes".

To obtain codes: Turning the ignition key on-off-on three times (don't start the engine) will put the
computer into diagnostic mode. Watch the "check engine" light. Count the flashes for each digit which is followed by a pause between digits. Two digits to a code with the end of the list being code 55.

To reset the codes, turn the ignition key on-off-on
50-55 times (don't start the engine).
yogi_123rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
rrbtheman
AF Newbie

ok i did a code search and it is34 so i looked it up and it said speed control shorted or open witch i have no clue what that means.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
yogi_123rd
AF Enthusiast

I suspect the code 34 means there's a problem with your cruise control module, which does have a control over your throttle.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:42 AM   #5
rrbtheman
AF Newbie

well the cruise control shuts off i cant see it being the problem like i turn it on on the highway and i dont touch the break puddle and it will shut off in about 5 to 20 mins
Old 10-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #6
yogi_123rd
AF Enthusiast

To state the obvious: There's a fault in your cruise control system causing it to disengage - Code 34. Since you "can't see it being the problem" and find this normal, what exactly is your car's problem? Define "runs kinda crapy".
Old 10-26-2004, 01:48 PM   #7
rrbtheman
AF Newbie

it sounds like it is missing but the computer hasent picked up anything i replaced the o2 sencor the egr valve the spark plugs the wires distibor cap router (sorry poor spelling) it just seams to be mising but it seam to have alot of power when i hit the gas just in idea it dosent sound right
Old 10-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #8
yogi_123rd
AF Enthusiast

Based on the all the items you've already changed, and the age of the vehicle, I would suggest that you use carberator cleaner to clean out the throttle body unit. Spray the stuff into every nook and cranny in the throttle body. Be sure to open the butterfly valve and spray it into the manifold.

Black oily soot gets in thru the PCV value and gets everywhere inside the throttle body and intake manifold. This causes an occational misfire usually noticed at idle. When really bad, the misfires will occur at highway speeds.

You've already addressed the other sources of misfires - a bad spark plug or a bad wire.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:56 PM   #9
rrbtheman
AF Newbie

its fule injected also i need help on is to when i hit 80 km/h the van shakes but when i go over 80km/h the shake stops and it rides smoth.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:08 PM   #10
rrbtheman
AF Newbie

what tells the servo how fast the van should be going i know where it is but i dont know what it is call i am trying to get the new part i just dont know the name its on the tranny the spudomerter cable goes into it to if somecan hepl thanks.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:44 AM   #11
rrbtheman
AF Newbie

ok i have fixed my cruise control it was the speed senser but i am still trying to figer out why the eng isn't warming up it stays in cold or less i am sitting in one spot i replaced the thermostad and the rad and the fan only turns on when the van warms up in one spot but when i start moving the eng cools down and it is ver cold to drive in the winter i would like to try an fix it before it gets colder thanks

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager