Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
LonnieD
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to LonnieD
Caravan won't start

Hello, I'm new to this web site but it looks like the others I go to (mostly Ford Trucks). Anway, my daughter has a 1990 3 ltr Caravan. They drove to the lake and after awhile they said it wouldn't start. My youn gest said it was over heating, but when I cheked after it colled off the water water was fine, so I don't think that is a problem. The van will turn over but will not fire at all, it has gas. Lasy time it did this I found it was a fule pump/fliter (one of them not such which) but they did have to drop the fule tank and replace one of those itesm and cost me 600.00 (tank was full). The van sounds like that again...... I trying to find the fule line as it comes up from below so I can disconnect and allow to pump into a glass bottle so I can see if gas is making it up from the tank...can anyone suggest anything else and direct me to where the fule line might be? Whit this Fuel injection it's hard to lacate anything! Any other ideas?...right now I have to tow it home and then I can trouble shoot it more...I can also be reached at

lonnie.dotson@Boeing.com
lonnallie@msn,.com

Thanks!
LonnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
LonnieD
AF Newbie

Fuel Filter

As I said in my first post I had a shop change my last fuel filter by dropping the fuel tank, but I want to do this one myself to check and see if that's the problem. Anyone ever dropped one? How hard is it...do we just disconnect the filler tube and fuel line loosen the straps and lower it? Is the filter easy to spot?...the book we have on it haynes dose not show much..any help would be nice..
Old 07-06-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
LonnieD
AF Newbie

Help

I sure could use some comments so I won't be shooting in the blind and help would be nice...
Old 07-07-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
LonnieD
AF Newbie

Hello???

Need just a little or a few comments here not asking for much
Old 07-13-2004, 02:16 AM   #5
Josse
AF Newbie

Re: Caravan won't start

Hi LonnieD;

I have a very similar problem with my caravan 93, 3.0, and the way I used to confirm if the gas pump is working ( i mean, if it is sending gas to the injectors ), I allways do the following :

* First, locate the Supply line. The one that is connected to the gas regulator. ( it is very close to the thermostat, left side).
* Loose the retaining screw of the supply lline, and pull it from the gas regulator input.
* Place a small cloth to covering the fuel line.

** CAUTION: usually there is a presurized gas in to the line... so take care by covering with a cloth.

Ok, now, tell some one to start the engine just 2 or 3 seconds.... If gas pump is ok: there will be a precense of splash of gas . If not, gas pump is not working ( or fuel filter is cloged, or line cloged).

One more comment: I recommend to use only NEW pump gas !... never, ever install used ones; 'cause it will fail in less than 2 months !!.. trust me, I have bad experience on it.

Hope this can help a bit. Sorry for my spelling
Good luck !

/Josse
Josse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #6
LonnieD
AF Newbie

Thanks Josse, your advice is just what I was thinking but didn't really know where the supply line was but now you have given me a place to search. Surprised no one wrote anything other than yourself...was wondering there for a bit..thanks...do you know what the PCM is? Somone wrote about it keeping him from starting his van but I asked what it was and now can't get them to respond at all...no one has answered it at all beinging to woinder
Old 07-13-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
Josse
AF Newbie

Post About Pcm..

Hi, how do you do!

Ok, PCM means Power train Control Unit, and basically this is the ENGINE COMPUTER , it is located in the right side of the battery (is a big black box) and when it fail, symptoms are:Sags/Hesitation/Stumble/Start & Stall or simple don't start.

Honestly, I don't have experience with this unit. I would like to recommend to check it with a diagnostic tool, connected to the data link connector (it is closer to the PCM), before buying a new one. 'Cause maybe it is ok.

Question: did you check for a Spark presence in the distribuitor cables?... probably distribuitor cap, or rotor are defective and that could cause the problem.

Hope it helps.

/Josse
Josse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
LonnieD
AF Newbie

Thanks Josse, you answered a lot in your single post. Makes, sense...no I have not even begun the step by step checks yet. Now that my daughter bought new car I have time...I will however, start on it this weekend.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager