Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Catera
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
dbrigold
AF Newbie

Power to injectors is killed after 2 seconds

My 2001 Catera starts right up, but after two seconds the power to the injectors is turned off and ther car stalls. If you try to restart it without first turning off the key it won;t start. But if you cycle the key off and then try to start it, the same thing will happen. I was told that it might be the anti-theft, but the security light is not on, so I doubt that is it. Anyone have any ideas?
dbrigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
frank-in-mi
AF Newbie

Re: Power to injectors is killed after 2 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrigold
My 2001 Catera starts right up, but after two seconds the power to the injectors is turned off and ther car stalls. If you try to restart it without first turning off the key it won;t start. But if you cycle the key off and then try to start it, the same thing will happen. I was told that it might be the anti-theft, but the security light is not on, so I doubt that is it. Anyone have any ideas?
It sure sounds like the theft detterent system to me -- we have a 'valet' key (no chip, just a key to open the doors) and if you try to start the car with it it will only run for a second or two -- the fuel pump shuts off (and something else from what I remember reading).

That said, it could also be a bad fuel pump or something in the fuel/fuel line/plugged fuel filter. Or it could be a problem with the spark coils/power to them.

How do you know you are losing power to the injectors?

Frank in Michigan
frank-in-mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
dbrigold
AF Newbie

I checked fuel pressure at the rail and it doen't drop. Then I used a noid light at the injectors and found that the power is interupted after 2-3 seconds. I thought it might be the anti-theft two. Trouble is, I don't think it can be fixed unless I drag the car to a cadillac dealer...
Old 10-15-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
frank-in-mi
AF Newbie

Quote:
I checked fuel pressure at the rail and it doen't drop. Then I used a noid light at the injectors and found that the power is interupted after 2-3 seconds. I thought it might be the anti-theft two. Trouble is, I don't think it can be fixed unless I drag the car to a cadillac dealer...
Do you have 2 keys? Did you try both? We were told that with the 2000 and 2001 CATS if a key fails or is lost, you not only need to get a very expensive new key made ($120) but also the dealer must program BOTH keys into the on-board computer with their own computer at $70/hr shop time (it is not a matter of starting the car with a good key, then swapping to the new key) .

If your fuel pump is working, I am wondering if something might have gone wrong with your computer and it dumped its brains as to what key should start your car. Have any problems immediately prior to this problem occuring, or was the car driven recently during lighting (or into an EMP <-- electomagnetic pulse :-).

Sorry I have no other suggestions but if you could, please come back and post what happened so we all can learn.

Good luck

Frank in Michigan
Old 10-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
dbrigold
AF Newbie

I'm not sure about the history as I bought the car in this condition. I do not have the 2nd key, so I can't try that, so it looks like I'm going to have to get my hands on a tech 2 scan tool, ot take the car to a dealer... Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
frank-in-mi
AF Newbie

Quote:
I'm not sure about the history as I bought the car in this condition. I do not have the 2nd key, so I can't try that, so it looks like I'm going to have to get my hands on a tech 2 scan tool, ot take the car to a dealer... Thanks for your suggestions!
Just got my copy of a 1998 Catera Service manual today and looked at the Theft Deterrent section to see how it works. If the key chip does not match what is stored in the car's computer (or something else goes wrong), in 1.5 seconds it will 'turn off' both the fuel pump drive and injector signals. It further talks about troubleshooting but requires the use of a scan tool to determine the DTC (diagnostic trouble code). The scan tool can be used to reset the DTC which I assume will allow another attempt to start the car. But of interest, it also says that the DTC can be reset by cycling the ignition switch on and off 20 times (I assume this means on, but not trying to start the car). You may want to give this a try -- cycle 20 or 21 times, end with it in the off position, wait a few seconds, then try and start it up, as it appears that once this DTC is set, it 'locks out' the system...

Good luck.

Frank in Michigan

By the way, the theft section is 40 pages long if you plan to troubleshoot it yourself....
Old 10-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Some of the iterations of PASS-Lock will "learn" the key if the ignition is left in the ON position with the new key for ten minutes. As Frank suggested, it's best to read the information specific to your vehicle to understand the "learn" procedure.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:44 AM   #8
Thekingofbhc
AF Newbie

My 99 Catera is doing the exact same thing! How did you fix it?
Thekingofbhc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Catera