Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
PJN
AF Newbie

98 Sunfire - Crank No Start

Car: 1998 Pontiac Sunfire 2.4L (230k miles)

So here's the story. About 1.5-2 months ago my car's (so I believe) starter began having issues. When the key was turned, the starter would turn slowly and then speed up and the engine would catch and start.

About 4 days ago, I turned the key and there was no click, no start. I tested the battery - good. I tested that the starter - no good. Replaced the starter. Started the car and the starter turns just fine, but the the engine wouldn't catch and start up.

Tested: Battery - good. Starter - good. Spark plugs spark: No good. Ignition control module: good. Ignition coil: good. CKS (crank shaft sensor, I believe): good.

I still can't get the car to catch, and I'm not really sure what to do. I've been working on it all day and I'm taking a brake for the night. Any ideas?

P.S. I checked the CKS last out of all this. When I looked, I found it was unplugged, probably because it's right where the starter is, and I likely knocked it out when replacing the starter. However, after plugging it back in, the car still refuses to start.
PJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 98 Sunfire - Crank No Start

So the car cranks, but it doesn't start.....

You say you have no spark? Yet somehow you tested the coils and the ICM, and they are ok? How did you do this?

Do you have injector pulse?

If the coils are ok, if the ICM is ok, fuel pressure is ok, you have good compression, and you are getting injector pulse, then what I have seen a lot of times is the ignition tower being the problem.....this is the plastic part that the coils fit into.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
PJN
AF Newbie

Yeah, I checked visually if the spark plugs were sparking or not, I don't have a tester to use, so I just grounded a spark plug while hooked in and watched for sparks when the key was turned, which there weren't.

Then I took the ICM and the Ignition coils into an auto parts store and had them test it for me.

And sorry, but I'm not sure what is or how to check the Injector pulse. Since the spark plugs aren't sparking I've been exploring what I can in relation to the plugs not sparking with no luck. I'm assuming what you're talking about has to do with the fuel pump or something?

Also, I had a friend over and he said that he smelled a hint of gas when I was trying to turn the car on a couple times. I didn't smell it myself, I don't know if it's something worth looking in to.
PJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

If you have no spark, and the injectors are firing, those plugs get wet and you will smell fuel.....

Pull the plugs......they may all be wet.....clean/ replace.....

You check injector pulse with a noid light.....disconnect an injector, attach the noid light to the harness, and if it flashes while you crank the engine, it means the injectors are firing.....it also means that you have a crank signal from the crank sensor....if it doesn't flash, it could be a crank sensor....

I Have seen ICM's and coils test ok out of cars, but not in cars....

When you take the top of the engine off, on the bottom of the cover is the ICM(little rectangular box), and the ignition tower.....the only true way to check for spark on these engines, is to buy 4 ignition wires and run them from the ignition tower to the corresponding spark plugs(the boots that attach the plugs to the ignition tower have to be removed) and run a ground wire from the metal cover that houses the tower/coils to a good ground.....now one at a time, you remove one wire from a spark plug and attach a spark tester to the end of the line, crank the vehicle and look for spark......check all four this way....

As I stated, I have seen the coil tower(the plastic piece attached to the engine cover that houses the two coils), short out due to carbon tracks, and cause a no start....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunfire > General Discussions