Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
imakedacookies
AF Regular

93 f250 oil pressure

I bought my brother's 93 f250 with the 460 and 5spd at 225k miles. He told me the oil pressure always ran on the low side. When I got it, it was on the line right at the low side of normal. I asked him when the last oil change was and he said just before he sold it to me but that was the first time in 4 years. My immediate thought was the oil pan is probably gunked up to high hell and maybe the oil pump wasnt pumping well because it was clogged. Im thinking I just need to clean the pan and replace the oil pump and do another oil change. Does that seem like the most probable fix? I'm on a very tight budget as I'm changing jobs and have a family to support at the same time. Other thing is I've never replaced a oil pump before and my friend said it's not very easy and the motor has to come off the mounts and lifted to make room. Is that true? And can anyone give some info on how to do the job itself? I would really appreciate it as my new job is a ways away from home and ill be using my wife's car but don't want to leave her and the baby with something that might break at any time. Thanks!
imakedacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 93 f250 oil pressure

Usually low oil pressure is going to be something deeper. I mean it could be the oil pump, but I'd lay bets on bearings being worn. Whether its bearings, or just the oil pump, neither job is what I would consider easy. Even if the truck didn't have low oil pressure that is not a vehicle I would leave as a only means of conveyance for a wife and kid.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:33 PM   #3
imakedacookies
AF Regular

I should have mentioned that I ran a little bit of seafoam in with the oil and it helped increase the pressure a little bit but not to my liking. I figured it helped loosen some of the crud that's in there but I'm also guessing that's why the pressure didn't stay up for long because some stuff went and got it plugged again. Until I get another vehicle leaving the pickup with them is the only option. Its actually been incredibly reliable for my brother and so far its always started for me. My wife's parents only live a few minutes away so im hoping between them and the ford everything will work out for a month or so until I buy a car that's good on gas.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:56 PM   #4
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

Grover, CO?? another, middle of nowhere town; like Guffey.. i do not think you have a parts store, or mom & pop garage in town, do you? so nearest service or tow would be coming from like greeley or fort collins, like 40/50mi. away?

--all that said, Stealthee is probably correct.. i mean, 225k and no oil change in 4yrs?? it might be alot of gunk built up in an oil pressure switch; but if gauge has "always showed on low side" you could be into more tearing out lower end items...
plus, you did not say, but in colo. it is probably a 4x4? so, even if just oil pump, i believe those mid 90s ford powerplant's oil pans sit right over frame, chassis, and crossmembers... the entire engine aasembly must be raised like 3-4" for pan to drop and clear.. this also means many things (from coolant, exhaust, oil, and fuel lines) need to be detached; possibly even intake manifold needs to come off for hood clearance..

and Stealthee is also right in saying that should not be a primary vehicle for wife and kid (even in major city, let alone in the boonies); especially if you are not even willing to trust running it to work and home..

might look for another $800 beater (out of those college towns) for you commuting, until the truck can be diagnosed; or torn down, and built up again..

i have the procedure, i will attempt to post shortly..
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:32 PM   #5
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

ha, i was sending my last post; you were reading my mind about alternate transport..
my net is slow; didn't see your post until i already sent; but here is procedure:

https://imgur.com/a/OPtyVLR

and that engine had a rotor and non-rotor oil pump; so order both, or pull first and identify..
Old 04-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Yep a tiny town, closest shop is greeley so just over 40 miles. I would drive it to work but 90 miles a day for work with a 460 every day would cost more than I'd be paid. Once I'm a couple paychecks in at the new job we're going to buy a car for my commute but that's a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks before we could even afford a clunker. We might have a different pickup to borrow in the meantime but it's not much better. Anyway as to my pickup it is actually a 2wd so I'm not sure if it will change the process. Ill have to look into the process a little deeper after work.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #7
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

since you are committed to this truck (unless brother will take back,haha), you might get the oil pressure switch, but before install, run some motor flush; then do oil change, and install new switch, and see if gauge results change..
if still low psi, then Stealthee is probably right.. an oil pump will help new pressure; but damage is probably already done..

here is 95 buick for 1200 (they listed caliber as well):
https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/c...301454178.html
Old 04-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
imakedacookies
AF Regular

He said he would take it back but on payments lol. I'm thinking about it. Where is the oil pressure switch located?
Old 04-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

u didn't say gas or diesel..
could be on top of back of engine; driver's side, just above exhaust Y..
or it could be tapped onto a fitting right near oil filter..
if it is old design, looks like a mini bellhousing/brass dinner bell; about a little
smaller than your fist.. if it's new design, it's about same size as a SBC one, but
not a spade terminal, still ford; push-on circular one wire connector..
Old 04-21-2021, 01:49 AM   #10
imakedacookies
AF Regular

It's the gas 460. I'll have to look this weekend

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series