Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
synthetic003
AF Newbie

possible ford transmission problem

ok guys here is the story, i have a 98 ford expy with the 4r70w transmission. recently i lost 3rd n 4th gear completly so i decided to change transmissions i bought a garenteed good one from a local j.yard. in between taking out the old n putting in the new i had to move the expy, i turned the key over to use the stearing wheel, when i did the o/d light began flashing. so i get it moved and remove and install the transmissions reinstall everything and connect everything n so forth. now when i start the expy it idles perfectly, about 1,000rpms but when i push the gas it hesitates but will eventually idle up to about 4,000 rpms. when i put it in gear it bogs way down to like 4 or 500 rpms and barely moves as a result of the low rpms. i had a local friend/mechanic take a look an he said everything looked ok as far as the work i had done to it and the only problem he could find was that there wasnt any power coming from the pcm to the transmission, yet all the fuses n wires are ok.?? also if i put it in 4x4 low it will move fairly easy as if there isnt any problems. btw the O/D light is still flashing and throws the codes for literally everything in the transmission. any ideaas to check or so forth would be greatly appeciated. i have a theory that because i turned the key over to move it threw the codes because i had everything d/c from the old transmission, and now it wont send any power to the transmission till i have the computer flashed and that the transmission is stuck in a higher gear like 3 or 4th or the torque converter lockup is engaged because of the "no power to the transmission" ordeal? it also has new tps maf iac fuel filter n pump air filter
synthetic003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
mrd2001
AF Newbie

Re: possible ford transmission problem

You need to clear the history and then let the pcm do it's thing with everything connected. That should help pin point your troubles. Good luck!
mrd2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
synthetic003
AF Newbie

Re: possible ford transmission problem

i tried by removing the battery terminal for various lengths of time but when i start it the o/d light automatically starts blinking. do you think if i had a dealership flash, "reprogram" ,the computer that it would run ok?
synthetic003 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1998 , expedition , ford , problems , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition