Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
KeThomas91
AF Newbie

Android Auto vs stock Hyundai system

Bought a new Sonata Limited Hybrid and spent 2 hours installing Android Auto. Not sure if it was worth it, although supposedly further upgrades are coming soon. Here are my thoughts so far, corrections welcome:
* Installation - no small job, you need to remove the SD card from the car and insert it into an SD port on a computer. Problem is, most modern computers don't have an SD port any more. Fortunately I had an old laptop buried in a closet. Once set up you'll need about an hour to download a software update from myhyundai.com to the card, then plug the card back into the car, plug the phone into the car's USB port, and then wait almost another hour for the update to complete.
* Connection - To use Android Auto, the phone must be plugged into the USB port, which reduces its usefulness. Supposedly a forthcoming upgrade will allow it to work wirelessly. https://descargartonos.info/iphone-mesg-ting.html
* Navigation - The big advantage of AA is that it allows use of Google Maps instead of the stock maps. Google Maps are better, but the stock maps are not bad, fully adequate for normal use. AA does enable the voice entry of destinations. Supposedly the new update will allow access to Waze, which will be nice.
* Phone - As far as I can tell, AA does not do anything that the stock system does not. Both allow voice activated calling of numbers and people on your contacts list.
* Music - With one touch, the stock system allows me to play songs downloaded to my phone, via the Google Music app. If I want to play Spotify, Pandora, etc., I need to first open the app on the phone. With AA, I can choose between the various apps without opening the phone.
* Texts and emails - The stock system does not read or allow voice responses to texts or emails. AA does this for texts but, much to my disappointment, it does not work with email. Email support is apparently not included in the forthcoming update, either.
* Cards - AA puts Google Now notification cards on the home screen. The cards can't be dismissed, which I find annoying.

Last edited by KeThomas91; 06-07-2020 at 05:37 AM.
KeThomas91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
AnPeter90
AF Newbie

Re: Android Auto vs stock Hyundai system

I just checked out (Dell, HP, Asus, etc.) especially the laptops all either have a multicard reader included or as an option so cheap ($20 - $30) it's a no brainer to add when ordering. USB card readers are around the same price I've even seen cheap ones in the impulse bins at 7-11 along with car chargers and USB cables. I understand, much of the world has been conned into believing their phones can take the place of a camera but the digital camera market is strong and not slowing down and the need for full size as well as adapted micro-SD cards and readers isn't going away, The new head unit I just got for my car (so new the company support people had never heard of it and were rather suspicious) supports both USB thumb-drive and micro-SD card storage mediums.
mobile ringtone

Last edited by AnPeter90; 08-23-2021 at 05:13 AM.
AnPeter90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:23 AM   #3
KeThomas91
AF Newbie

Not sure about the quality, but they sell external SD card readers for as little as $1 on eBay, e.g.,
https://descargartonos.info/aitana-reik-enemigos.html

Last edited by KeThomas91; 06-07-2020 at 05:37 AM.
KeThomas91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
davebigs
AF Newbie

Where did you source your headset from? I am trying to find one for my 2017 Santa Fe Sport
Be not the slave of your own past. Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by davebigs; 06-10-2017 at 12:22 AM.
davebigs is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > General Discussion