Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Older Pickups
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
lfiler
AF Newbie

Help

My friend and I have a 84 nissan pickup 4x4 that we use at the deer lease. The truck runs fine however it does not want to die after the key has been turned of. It is like the anti-diesel fuse is blown but it is not. We just had the carburetor cleaned and rebuilt because it would not idle or running the way it should. Now it idles fine and runs good except it will not die. I do not think that the timing is off, but any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not know a whole lot about this truck other than it is a 84 model king cab 4x4 manual transmission with a 4 cyl gas engine. Again any information would be greatly appreciated.
lfiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help

I would start with having the engine decarbonized. Dieseling can be caused by carbon deposits on the surfaces of the valves, heads, pistons. The carbon deposits when hot can continue to ignite the fuel that enters the combustion chamber even with the key off. Wynns makes a pretty good upper end cleaner and I believe either chrysler of GM makes one of the best.

You can also do this yourself. Start the vehicle and drive for 15 minutes so that it is good and hot. Get a can of seafoam motor tune. Disconnect the rubber hose that goes to the brake booster. Start the engine and pinch the hose so that barely any air is going in. Poor the can of seafoam slowly into the the hose (the vacuum will syphon it off pretty quick. You will be able to tell if your adding it to fast when the engine tries to stall. Use about half the can for this step. Once half the can is gone add it until the engine stalls. Dump the remainder of the can in the fuel tank. let the engine sit for 5 to 10 minutes and restart.

Let us know if you try it and whether or not it worked!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Older Pickups