Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > El Camino
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
mark44004
AF Newbie

Picked up a 1973 El Camino on ebay

I got this for my son (but I'll drive it mostly ). I paid $1525.00 for it and it looks really good and I'm told it's not of need of too much. The guy has a 100% rating with 423 sales/buys so I feel comfortable with this purchase so far. It needs a windshield. I'm trying to find on locally. The cheapest I've found is $214.00 installed which is pretty good so I may go with it. When I pick it up in Illinois and bring it back to NE Ohio, I'll probably be needing some parts. It has a 4BBL carb now but originally it had a 2BBL and I will bring it back to that. I'll be selling the carb and the intake...maybe. It anyone has any leads on pieces parts for this year, please let me know. Once I find out the paint code I want to paint it back to that. I'm hoping it was Gold with 2 black stripes down the middle, sweet! It's primer black at this time with a black interior. What color would you all paint it? Thanks!
mark44004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Picked up a 1973 El Camino on ebay

A few good sources for parts for these cars is www.car-part.com . You can enter the vehicle info and select the part you need ad then get page(s) of results of salvage yards across the country that show the part in their inventory. Many listings also have color, condition, and price. You can also narrow the search to yards closer to your home to make the parts easier to get or save on shipping costs.
Another good source is Hemmings Motor News, which can usually be found where magazines are sold. ( www.hemmings.com ) many restorers and owners of older vehicles use this publication to find parts, especially hose hard to find. There are private sale ads as well as those from salvage yards and restoration parts companies. Some people consider this a "bible" to rebuilding/restoring your older vehicle.
And don't forget where you bought the car, eBay. that is another source for parts. What I have done when trying to locate parts for vehicles I'm working on is contact some of the sellers that have in their auction listing that they are parting out the vehicle and have more parts, just contact them with your needs.There is a link right in the auction listing to contact the seller. Even if it doesn't say in their listing that they are parting out a vehicle you might want to contact them and see if they are if they seem to have a lot of parts for sale on the site. Sometimes they might have the part you need.
Craigslist is one other option I have seen some people use but there you have to check back often to see what's available and is good if you don't need the part right away.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

That sounds like a nice project. But don't be in such a rush to dump the 4bbl.

If it's a non-electronic Quadrajet carb on a factory cast iron intake...... just keep it.
The Elco came with that as an option on many engines, so it will look stock. Also, the Quadrajet is a very fuel-efficient carb..... as good as or better than the 2bbls on part-throttle application, yet produces more power.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
relic7680
AF Newbie

Don't bother trying to sell that 4 barrel setup...those things are a mile deep in junkyards because very few people want them. As for your color code, look at the trim tag on the firewall. I bought the Standard Catalog Of Chevelle to decipher the whole thing. It will also tell you your interior color/configuration.
'73-'77 for life.

'91 C2500 Silverado (8600GVW)
'89 Suburban R1500 Silverado
'76 GMC Sprint Classic
'76 El Camino Classic
relic7680 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1973 , 350 , ebay , elcamino
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > El Camino