Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
hoopdaddy6
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to hoopdaddy6
Lightbulb Does the ebay resistor mod really work??

I'm sure you have seen the "racing chips" sold on ebay that claim to increase horsepower and gas mileage for around 5 bucks.

The reality of it is that it will have different effects on different vehicles. But for less than a buck, it is worth trying for a few days to see how it works.

This is just a 20 cent resistor that can be picked up from any local Radio Shack. I had to buy a 5 pack for a buck. Be careful, because resistors have different watages, and different resistance. Do some research first to see exactly which resistor you will want.

On my 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I tried setting it at about 40 degrees. Drove on it for a couple of days and didn't notice much of a power increase if any, and it dragged my gas mileage from about 17.5 down to 15mpg. I pulled the resistor mod out, and everything went back to normal. I was only out 20 cents.

Then I put a 10k ohm resistor in my 97 Honda Civic. I can't remember exactly, but I think that tells the computer the air is about 32 degrees. I still can't beleive the difference it makes. It went from 36mpg to 41mpg! I have been driving on it for about a month now, and still getting 40 mpg on a daily basis. Not to mention the power increase. There is no doubt it got me a significant power increase. It is most noticable at highway speeds. Going from 75 to 85 passing is much easier now. And much better exceleration on the on-ramps.

I decided to make this post for any other sceptics out there. I don't recommend you pay 5 bucks or whatever for a 20 cent resistor off e-bay, unless you are seriously ignorant under the hood and need the "instructions" included. Seriously, installing this mod only takes about 2 minutes tops. I do recommend that you do a little research and find out the temp settings and shoot for just above freezing. Try it out. If you get an extra 5 mpg like I did, it will pay for itself in about a mile!
hoopdaddy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Foundwaldo1
AF Newbie

Re: Does the ebay resistor mod really work??

I think maybe when you set it to about 32 degrees that it sucks more air in causing the engine to lean out. It may heat up a little hotter but if you can keep the operating temp down i say go for it.
Foundwaldo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chip , ebay , mod , mpg , resistor
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts