Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Politics, Investments & Current Affairs
Politics, Investments & Current Affairs Yea... title kind of explains what this forum is about.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 08:25 PM   #1
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Letter to the editor

Any here besides me write them? I've been fortunate that about half the ones I send in to the Detroit Free Press get in. I'm kind of surprised by the last one. I didn't spend much time on it, but apperently it was good enough to make it this time. So, here's the link to the article it references and then my response.

http://www.freep.com/voices/columnis...5_20030805.htm

http://www.freep.com/voices/letters/...7_20030807.htm

Like I said. Not among my best, but I thought I'd boast a bit about getting my name in the paper

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by YogsVR4; 08-08-2003 at 06:48 AM.
YogsVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 10:13 PM   #2
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
Short and to the point, I like it. Very nice Yogs or should I call you David And I agree 100% with what you said. Personal time is personal time you shouldn't get paid for it.
TexasF355F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:44 AM   #3
Pick
AF Fanatic

Good to see that Yogs.....keep up the good work...
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:27 AM   #4
freakray
AF Modelrater

Very valid response to a stupid proposal there Dave

Strange they say other countries do that, never heard of it in any of the other countries I have lived and worked in.

I have written a couple of letters myself, but they were in response to articles in mountain biking magazines about racing issues when I was still racing - one managed to make it into the letters page though.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:21 AM   #5
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

so much for my uncle Joe plan...

That was one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of, why don't they just pay you all time, whether you're at work or at home? I think companies should also continue paying you for years after you've left them - after all you have a family to take care of and you can't possibly afford to miss several hundred pay checks.

I love it when something of mine get's published, not too long ago I had alot of stuff published in a Finnish Auto mag (I supplied alot of info for an artical on the Subaru 360 which was never sold in Finland) They gave me a copy as thanks, though I can't read it.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:19 PM   #6
Hudson
Old Mod

I get irritated with many people who wield a pen (or typewriter or word processor or...), get paid for it, and say stupid things. I don't usually take up political causes because too many people know far more than I on the specifics on these topics (I agree with the letters in the Freep example, by the way).

I have, however, had a number of letters to the editor published in various publications. My college newspaper printed my tirade on a conservative religious group pushing their attitude on the entire student body. After that, I was published in major newspapers (including another tirade against a music reviewer who obviously hadn't been to the concert he reviewed) and most major automobile magazines, usually in response to mistakes that shouldn't have made by the writer let alone past an editor or two. Anyone catch Car magazine's article about how FORD bought Saab?
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 03:42 PM   #7
taranaki
Banned

I have had a few published,but nothing recent.

Last ones were on the subject of leasing F16 fighters from the U.S.Our beloved government decided that our recently-overhaled A4 Skyhawk fleet needed replacing with leased F16s.Not only were they faster,with longer range,they could carry a much larger weapons load.

So why,I asked did we need 24 of them to replace 16 planes if they could do the job so much better?

My second letter on the subject was a satirical parody of the leasing option,set in a Herz rental office.Our prime minister was having difficulty hiring some planes with which to attack Australia............

My letters were devastatingly effective. Within a year,the gung ho gunlovers were out of power and a jolly nice centre left government was in place.The F16's never arrived,the money went to the Army for troop carriers,and the Navy,for patrol vessels.

We'll rely on Australia for air cover,they wouldn't let us get attacked because we'd all turn up there as refugees.
taranaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 04:52 PM   #8
YogsVR4

Quote:
Originally posted by taranaki
We'll rely on Australia for air cover,they wouldn't let us get attacked because we'd all turn up there as refugees.
Wait a minute! Replace Australia with US and New Zealand with Canada and I've heard that before

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 08-08-2003, 04:59 PM   #9
boingo82
Can't polish a turd.

Nice job, Yogs.

I have a thing against the Free Press, though - caught a bunch of misspellings and inaccuracies on their website and complained about them. (They were in a Nissan Quest review.)

Besides that, the Freep is the only newspaper to consistently score lower than 80 on Gannett's print quality surveys. That's really pathetic, considering they're a fairly large paper and work with presses manufactured AFTER 1960 (unlike us).
Old 08-08-2003, 05:05 PM   #10
YogsVR4

The bulk of my letters go to the Detroit News, but sometimes I just have to write to the Free Press about some of the sheer lunacy that they put out as news.

Considering that I am an awful speller - I don't catch all the errors in the Free Press, but I don't doubt that they are there.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Politics, Investments & Current Affairs