Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
mpm51896
AF Newbie

2000 Chevy Silverado Intermittent starting problem

I have a 6 cyl 2000 Chevy Silverado Extended cab with 114 k miles, I drive it daily about 50 miles per day. In the past 3 weeks I have broken down 3 times.

The first time the truck stalled after running for about 1.5 hours and would not start. I cranked over fine. After waiting about an hour it started. I took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong.

Second time i drove it about 35 miles and turned it off about 15 minutes later it would not start. I had it towed to the dealer and when they looked at it the next morning it started and again they found nothing wrong.

Third time today after the dealer found nothing wrong, I drove about 25 miles, it started 3 times after stopping to do errand. right now it won't start again. I cranks over but just won't start. Any isea what may be cauing this? t
mpm51896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:58 PM   #2
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93
Re: 2000 Chevy Silverado Intermittent starting problem

As for your question, it sounds like an electrical problem, check wires to make sure none of them are grounding out causing a dead short.
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:01 PM   #3
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93

also sounds like your fuel filter needs replacing.. maybe sediment is in it and hen u first start it its all settled and the truck runs fine, but after it gets stirred up it starts to clog the fuel line and stall your truck... this happend in my nissan....
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Could bet electrical, but more than likely fuel problem, I'd take it to a differnt mechanic. Dealership people usually are your run of the mill tech school drop outs.

TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:03 AM   #5
Catboy
Catboy

I believe that this is a malfunction in your passive security system. I had the same problem with my 2000 right after I bought it. Since it was under warrantee, I brought it into the dealer. They replaced the ignition key assembly (there is another name for it, I can't remember) and 60k miles later I haven't had a problem. I think that they might have rerouted a wire to prevent it from happening again. What happens is that the system suspects that there is no key inserted, but instead of cutting out the starter it just cuts out the ignition. After a certain period of time (I think about 15 minutes), the system resets itself. Tell the dealer to call Pape Chevrolet in South Portland, Maine and their competent mechanics should be able to explain it to them. I would be surprised that it is not a service bulletin, but sometimes these guys don't make the effort to look. I just talked to a friend of mine who is a GM service manager about the antilock brake problem with these vehicles and he said there was no s.b. on it. I found the bulletin number on line (probably at AF.com) in about 5 minutes. Anyway, I hope this helps your problem.

Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm51896
I have a 6 cyl 2000 Chevy Silverado Extended cab with 114 k miles, I drive it daily about 50 miles per day. In the past 3 weeks I have broken down 3 times.

The first time the truck stalled after running for about 1.5 hours and would not start. I cranked over fine. After waiting about an hour it started. I took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong.

Second time i drove it about 35 miles and turned it off about 15 minutes later it would not start. I had it towed to the dealer and when they looked at it the next morning it started and again they found nothing wrong.

Third time today after the dealer found nothing wrong, I drove about 25 miles, it started 3 times after stopping to do errand. right now it won't start again. I cranks over but just won't start. Any isea what may be cauing this? t
Catboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 03:26 PM   #6
mpm51896
AF Newbie

I'm still having the intermittent starting problem.
The truck was in the shop for 3 days while they tried to recreate the problem, they have been unable to have the problem while it is the shop.
I have broken down three more times since and if I leave it where if dies and go back the next morning it starts fine.
They have replaced the distributor cap and rotor, wires, plugs and a sensor(not sure of which one).
They tested the fuel presure regulator and it is working correctly. the fuel pump was tested and the pressure is only 49 instead of 60. The mechanic says (because of the cost and the fact that I gave him a hard time about finding the real problem without just replacing expensive parts until it is finally fixed) he does not want to replace it unless it fails or he can get a code. The guy seems to be trying to fix it. he has spent a lot of time checking everything and has not charged me for the time. Any suggestions
mpm51896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:48 PM   #7
NWChevyGuy
AF Regular

My 2001 8.1 does the same thing. Anyone have anymore ideas?
Airaid Intake - 4" Magnaflow Exhaust - Hypertech Programmer
NWChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
melodynpepper
AF Newbie

>>>mpm51896<<< I know this post is fairly old but worth a shot in the dark......did you ever get to the bottom of your intermittent starting issue with your chevrolet silverado? Am dealing with very same problem and have replaced many components to no avail. It is and now has become (5 months now) a no start at all issue. Actually pulled 4.3 out to implant a 6.0 but thats going to require way too many modifications so idea scrapped and fixin to drop the 4.3 back into the 2000 silverado and ship it to a garage. Frustrating indeed.
melodynpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

security system does not see the key so NO fuel pressure.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado