Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #1
Michael.Jones
AF Newbie

'84 300ZX Ignition Problems

Hello. I have had a 1984 300ZX non-turbo for 2.5 years and have been having problems lately and now it has become so bad that I can't drive it. About a year ago I was driving to school in the morning and about 1.5 miles from my house my car died, no sputtering, nothing, it completely shut off and wouldn't start; it would crank over but not even try to start. I came back after school and it started and ran rough for a bit but then ran normal. It did this at intervals of about two weeks three times after that, always at the same distance from the house. After that the frequency increased so I took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I had a mechanic put in a new ignition switch and some fuel components to see if that pacified it but it didn't. I checked the relays, fuses, and fusible links but found nothing. I took it back to the dealership and they said that the distributor had weak resistance and the timing belt was loose. I recently put in a new timing belt and distributor but the problem persists, it will start fine most of the time and at random intervals it will just shut down.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Michael.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Re: '84 300ZX Ignition Problems

when the car dies do you loose all your lights as well? it sounds like a loose connection to me.. that's the only thing that could explain something like that happening... i'm assuming the mechanic ran an ecu diagnostic?
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
Michael.Jones
AF Newbie

No I don't lose the lights and yes the dealership ran the ECU and said that the distributor had weak resistance.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
change the distributor cap...its cheap, yours could have moisture in it that will cause rust which is not good for spark.

good luck!

MIKE JONES!!! MIKE JONES!!! sorry had to do it...can't listen to the radio with out hearing that name. MIKE JONES!!!
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Michael.Jones
AF Newbie

Umm......yeah I forgot to mention I already changed that too.

Tehee. That's cool.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

hmm, try running another diagnostic now and see if she throws any codes at you, but it's gotta be a loose connection somewhere in order for it to die like that.... does it do it when the car is cold at all? or just once it's warmed up...
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
Michael.Jones
AF Newbie

Ok I'll do that. Well it's been awhile since I've driven it but I don't think it ever did it when it was cold.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
Michael.Jones
AF Newbie

Well now that I think about it, it has died cold. After dying I would try starting it and after some time it would but I had to keep it above 4k to keep it running because, as I now know, the injectors would just keep pumping gas into the cylinders without a spark, so it would flood. So I had to keep it revved to clean out the cylinders. But sometimes, well most of the time, if I let off the gas and let it idle down past oh, about 2k, it would try to shut off like usual, but the if I revved it back up I could usually keep it running.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:00 PM   #9
Michael.Jones
AF Newbie

Another thing, probably doesn't help but: After awhile I started noticing that when it wouldn't start, I could hear a clicking sound coming from behind the passenger seat along the wall in front of the rear wheel-well. It would never start when I heard this but everytime I couldn't hear it it would start.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #10
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

interesting, that's where the fuel pump relay is located...
ZedEx Crew Member #6

Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #11
Michael.Jones
AF Newbie

Hmm....I'll have to check that out.....
Old 10-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
MrZ64
AF Newbie

me too

I have this exact same problem on my '86 non-turbo. The only thing I've noticed other then what you have pointed out is that the sound is not actully coming from the back right side of the car. It is bouncing off of there, but is actully coming from a small fan next to the lights on the strip between the t-tops. Mine only buzzes when my car isn't going to start as well, but I can't figure out the connection that is has with the problem. Mine has failed to start cold, but seems to have more problems when it is warm. In fact it is basically undrivable in the summer. You're the only other person I've found with this problem so maybe between the two of us we can figure something out eh?
MrZ64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:11 PM   #13
Michael.Jones
AF Newbie

Wow, I thought I was the only one on earth and my Z was cursed! Anyway, now that you mention it, my car seems to fail more frequently in the summer too. I didn't drive it all this summer and I got it back from the shop about three weeks ago from getting the new timing belt and distributor installed. Other than a slight miss in the timing, it didn't give me any problems so I hoped and wished that I fixed it. I drove it about 300 miles before it shut down just like old times last weekend.
My Z doesn’t have T-tops and you said it was a buzzing sound you heard? My seems more like a metallic click like possibly a relay but I’m not sure what it is because I haven’t pulled off the panel to see if the noise is actually issuing from there. I’ll be home this weekend and I’ll check it out and tell you the dealio. Any other info you have could be helpful so feel free.
Also, if you have the time, check your ECCS or ECU whatever they call it on your year. The procedure is in any after-market manual and if you don’t have one, I recommend Haynes.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #14
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

mrz64 that's the automatic climate control fan... it really shouldn't have anything to do with anything except your cooling and heating system... sounds kinda weird to me..

oh and for a manual, why pay $20 for a manual when there's one online for free!!

http://www.gowhatnot.com/nissan/frames/menu.htm
ZedEx Crew Member #6

Old 10-27-2005, 10:12 PM   #15
MrZ64
AF Newbie

Yeah, all I know is that fan only comes on when my car isn't going to start. I had to borrow my brother's car to get home tonight becuase it wouldn't start, but I'll check the ecu first chance I get tomorrow. Also, thanks for the help. I too thought I was alone on this; I cant seem to find anything else about it anywhere.
MrZ64 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)