Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
Haijo
AF Newbie

I need some help.

[First Post, Hello, :P]
So I am 13, I'm into the JDM scene. I don't wanna sound like a stupid kid but uhh. * adjusts tie* I think I'm a pretty experienced car person. Well. I have some questions...
1. Whats the best starter car
2. Age to start modifying my car?
I forgot my third..
But.. Ya know.. ;-; Thanks for viewing this pointless thread, I hope to be a good member, unlike every single forum I go on, I somehow start a riot.
Haijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
Dave B.
AF Regular

Re: I need some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haijo View Post
[First Post, Hello, :P]
So I am 13, I'm into the JDM scene. I don't wanna sound like a stupid kid but uhh. * adjusts tie* I think I'm a pretty experienced car person. Well. I have some questions...
So, you wear a tie at the computer? OK, you get style points...

Quote:
1. Whats the best starter car?
Since you like JDM, I'd say Honda Civic or Nissan Sentra. Both are reliable, easily modified and have good aftermarket parts availability. For a given level of condition, the Nissan will be less expensive.

Quote:
2. Age to start modifying my car?
I don't know that there's a 'best' age. Looking at a first car, I'd keep two things in mind: (1) Cosmetic modifications will cause you much less grief than mechanical ones. (2) Although I know that you THINK you know cars, actual hands-on experience with cars belonging to friends (and even internet acquaintances) will open your eyes wider than they are now.

One really good way to learn about which modifications work, which don't and which are good investments for the $$; get permission from your parents to attend some autocrosses and drag races. Most racers are more than happy to talk to younger enthusiasts, as long as you're respectful.

Quote:
I forgot my third..
But.. Ya know.. ;-; Thanks for viewing this pointless thread, I hope to be a good member, unlike every single forum I go on, I somehow start a riot.
Only old guys like me are supposed to forget that easily! And, remember, everything on the internet lasts forever, so watch your step! (Just kiddin'...)

Dave B.
Dave B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Haijo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B. View Post
So, you wear a tie at the computer? OK, you get style points...

Since you like JDM, I'd say Honda Civic or Nissan Sentra. Both are reliable, easily modified and have good aftermarket parts availability. For a given level of condition, the Nissan will be less expensive.

I don't know that there's a 'best' age. Looking at a first car, I'd keep two things in mind: (1) Cosmetic modifications will cause you much less grief than mechanical ones. (2) Although I know that you THINK you know cars, actual hands-on experience with cars belonging to friends (and even internet acquaintances) will open your eyes wider than they are now.

One really good way to learn about which modifications work, which don't and which are good investments for the $$; get permission from your parents to attend some autocrosses and drag races. Most racers are more than happy to talk to younger enthusiasts, as long as you're respectful.

Only old guys like me are supposed to forget that easily! And, remember, everything on the internet lasts forever, so watch your step! (Just kiddin'...)

Dave B.
Thanks for the tips. Do you think an AE86, AE85 or anything like that would be easy to find in the US? (Washington state) Or like a 240sx. And Also how you said 'You think you know cars but hands-on experience belongs to friends'
Iv'e been working on my Uncles car for a little while and- No I don't have the best knowledge, but I can do a bit with cars. Thats why I learn young than rather have trouble with my car later on, and have no self-knowledge. :P
Old 09-26-2016, 02:02 AM   #4
jasongraygits
AF Newbie

Honda or Nissan is good for starter kids and my main interest is in the question about the age to start modifying cars. I think there is no age limit when it comes to the love of the cars and modifying your cars unless you are putting your own money into it
If you have enough money to spend on things like these you are open to modify your car as much as you want.
jasongraygits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

I started working on cars when I was younger than you, and even when I started driving at 17 I was still basically clueless. My knowledge level has skyrocketed over the years of owning and driving different vehicles now, but that is with 19 years of driving/owning now.

As for your AE86 question, GOOD LUCK. They are getting very difficult to locate. They are 30 year old cars you know, and cars of the 80's weren't necessarily built all that well.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General