Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 02:24 AM   #1
badbascomb
AF Newbie

Buying from the UK

Hi there, I am looking at buying a late 60s car and am based in the UK. i am experiencing several issues the main one being the lack of response from people to my emails, this is proving really frustrating. I have contacted several places both private and dealers and absolutely no response from private sales and scant response from dealers. I have contacted a shipping company as well as pre purchase car inspectors and all the same. I am interested in 3 cars from Country Classic Cars and their response is at best patchy. Is the economy in the US so good that companies can turn away the chance of a fairly reasonable sale? The same attitude has been experienced elsewhere. Is there anybody out there who can recommend a shipping company, a nationwide car inspection company ( or one based in St Louis ) I understand that there are plenty of time wasters out there but not everybody should be tarred with the same brush. Anybody out there can give me some hints that I can do in order to get a reply to my emails ( maybe enclosing 5 bucks via paypal?). Look forward to hearing from anyone with any help,

Jim

Last edited by badbascomb; 08-07-2016 at 02:25 AM. Reason: typo
badbascomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:45 AM   #2
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Re: Buying from the UK

On the contrary, the economy in the US is horrible at this time. With that said there will be plenty of scammers out to make a buck too. Being that you're overseas, I can't imagine how much that difficulty increases.

I've just went months searching for a vehicle for my sister. The amount of overpriced vehicles in deplorable shape is astonishing. Then the cost to have them road ready in safe condition was usually twice the cost of the vehicle. I'm here, in person, and yet I struggled. Blatantly lied to about said vehicles, unbeknownst to most of the sellers that I turn wrenches for a living. Of course once I start pointing out their lies.... their tunes changed & wanted nothing more with me. No bartering, no haggling... I guess they figure they'll sell it eventually to an unsuspecting smuck, at the price they're asking.

So advice... haha, I can't give you any on how to get them to respond to you. But I surely do advise, please be careful when you do handle the transaction & with whom you do business with. Watch out for flood damaged vehicles in the St. Louis area. They are being shipped in from all over flood ravaged areas in an attempt to get rid of them. God bless & good luck!
Old 08-07-2016, 03:16 AM   #3
badbascomb
AF Newbie

Hi bella, thank you for your post and advice. As I thought there are a lot of basket cases out there and hard to see what is what from pictures hence the need for pre purchase inspection. You replied to a post of mine the other day indicating a pre purchase would cost around 2 hours labour, the 1 response I've had is from 300 to 500 bucks, shame you are not around St Louis... there any decent car dealers around your way you know of? What did you find for your sister in the end? Any ideas roughly how I can get a valuation? the cars at Country Classic seem priced ok, but can't seem to get anyone there to inspect and I feel sure I need an inspection. The net is full of 'bewares' in terms of cost and state of vehicles and here I know so little, only what I like the look of. The same model car can vary so much in price, obviously the condition matters, but 2 in similar state can have such different price tags. I know nothing about what is a good transmission and engine or say whether Buicks are better than Pontiacs. Here in europe I have much more idea but a late 60s 2 door v8 is what I want. I like the 66 Catalina on the CCC website but can I get any info outta them or car inspectors or shipping companies, can I heck... I also have no idea that if I pay the money whether I will ever see the car, buyer beware as they say. Every private ad I have responded to on Craigslist has met with an eerie silence hence I am still without... I thank you for your response and wish there were more people out there like yourself, have a beautiful day
Old 08-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
badbascomb
AF Newbie

Hi bellaCuba, just wondering if you could give me a little help. I am interested in a Buick Lesabre 67, a Pontiac Catalina 66, a Mercury Monterey 67 and a Chevvy Impala 65 and just wondered what you reckoned in terms of rust mechanics in general. Of course i understand that it depends on many factors but as a kind of an idea of whether chevvys are better than pontiacs etc etc. Also I have seen quite a few cars with smaller engines like 290s or 280 somethings are these to be avoided? What do you reckon is a good engine and transmission? I won't hold anything against you I am totally in the dark and just after some vague idea...many thanks Jim

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General