Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Taylor Nakamura
AF Newbie

Angry wits evd

I have this problem where when my clutch was not depressed to the floor it would make a whirring noise that got higher as I would give it gas, but only when my foot was not on the clutch. I was told that this was the throw out bearing. Being that I am a new Z owner and not entirely confident of doing it myself I took it to an angies list and checkbook rated mechanic to replace it. he does, and now not even a full day later its making the same noise. I don't have the money to keep taking this in and I really love the car but I can't keep listening to this noise, its just depressing, any thoughts or feedback would be most appreciated, if I have to read every manual there is and start fixing it myself I will.
Video of the noise as taken from the driver side just behind the front tire, I wasn't in the car but as I stated when I step on the clutch pedal the noise goes away. Goes faster and gets higher pitched as I give it gas. Throwout bearing replaced but Im wondering if it wasn't greased right either on the bearing or forks, any input would help

http://youtu.be/uc4G5CAy9j8
Taylor Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: wits evd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Nakamura View Post
I have this problem where when my clutch was not depressed to the floor it would make a whirring noise that got higher as I would give it gas, but only when my foot was not on the clutch. I was told that this was the throw out bearing. Being that I am a new Z owner and not entirely confident of doing it myself I took it to an angies list and checkbook rated mechanic to replace it. he does, and now not even a full day later its making the same noise. I don't have the money to keep taking this in and I really love the car but I can't keep listening to this noise, its just depressing, any thoughts or feedback would be most appreciated, if I have to read every manual there is and start fixing it myself I will.
Video of the noise as taken from the driver side just behind the front tire, I wasn't in the car but as I stated when I step on the clutch pedal the noise goes away. Goes faster and gets higher pitched as I give it gas. Throwout bearing replaced but Im wondering if it wasn't greased right either on the bearing or forks, any input would help

http://youtu.be/uc4G5CAy9j8
Welcome to A,

What year vehicle, give uss as much info as possible.

WHat was all replaced when the work was done??? Was the pressure plate and clutch plate also replaced??? Have you contacted the mechanic, should be under warranty.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Taylor Nakamura
AF Newbie

No the clutch plate and pressure plate were not replaced, just the TOB I was thinking about that myself, Ive never heard the sound of a bad pressure plate or clutch plate tho so I would not know how to diagnose it by ear
Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Taylor Nakamura
AF Newbie

its an 03 nissan 350z
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Was just the TOB replaced or the slave clyinder with a new TOB???

What were the instructions for the repair, just to replace throw out bearing or inspect and replace worn parts??? What does your receipt for the work say???

Check this link out for info:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/coupe/2003/cl.pdf

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I on this subject will chime in.

How many miles on vehicle???
Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Taylor Nakamura
AF Newbie

Just the TOB, and yes they did an inspection and apparently everything else checked out, Im going to go change my tranny fluid tomorrow and see if that helps at all Im hoping that its just gears spinning in low fluid that hasnt been spinning like that for too long. But if you have an ideas please feel free to let me know.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Read thru the first link, espically the pedal section.

Check the foot pedal for any cracked welds and make sure the release shaft is free when the clutch pedal is not pushed to the floor. Sound to me like the bearing is hitting the forks on the pressure plate in 1 place .

Did you see the old TOB after replacement? If so any unusually weaar spots??? IF you have the TOB can you post a pic of it??

My experience of hydraulic clutches is that the throw out bearing does not move much to make contact with pressure plate. 5/16th of travel is all,
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
Taylor Nakamura
AF Newbie

I don't have the old TOB, and when you say check for welds do you mean inside the cab? I looked over the pages you mentioned and Im starting to wonder if is the input shaft bearing except I thought that sounds more like a rattling. When idling it sounds like something spinning in a hollow space, its kinda hard to explain but turns into a whine with higher rpms.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
Taylor Nakamura
AF Newbie

How do I check if the release shaft is free?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Have you resolved the problem?????
Old 04-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Taylor Nakamura
AF Newbie

Well a transmission rebuild, TOB, input shaft bearing later and the noise still persists. Im guessing now either it was the TOB and the new one they put in wasn't greased right. after that Im fresh out of ideas.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Nakamura View Post
Well a transmission rebuild, TOB, input shaft bearing later and the noise still persists. Im guessing now either it was the TOB and the new one they put in wasn't greased right. after that Im fresh out of ideas.

Was the transmission rebuild after the TOB installation or before??? Did you have the trans rebuilt???? need more info, any trany rebuild warranty???