Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
Ecordeddie
AF Newbie

'79 Oil Pan gasket Change Question

I'm a self wrencher that knows enough about cars to be dangerous.... I'm new to the whole corvette thing and I've had a lot of enjoyment doing some minor wrench turning on it.

So I'm wondering if I can get away with just using my car ramps to change the oil gasket on the pan or do I need to take it to a shop that has a car lift?
Ecordeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

I am not sure on the mid70s, but my '82 was a pain, because the lip of the pan just crossed the front sway bar.
I would drive it onto the ramps and make sure your engine's oil pan will clear suspension and/or steering components prior to saying ok.
otherwise, a lift, air tools, and some expertise (more than enough to make you extremely dangerous) would be involved.
I am not trying to dissuade you, and if you like, tomorrow, I will look into how many man hours at work for you.

...if the books say less than a couple, plan on most of your day on ramps; if it says more than 3.5-4hrs, I'd say that means, if it is a minor leak, go to 20W50 or straight 40 Racing oil, and see if that slows it 'til the price is right at the shop.

chris
nrt racing
713.933.5773 (7A-10P central)
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

book shows 1.5-2.1 hours...

may have to loosen a sway bar, or unbolt one side of the power steering rack, but probably, the most common:
remove starter, and remove the transmission dust plate/cover.

(and if it were mine, when it goes back together, in ALL my ownings of GM, I've never put the trans cover back, and I've never had any rocks or debri get caught in the ring gear and tear it up; GM starters do that all by themselves)

the trans cover out of the way, allows the oil pan to slide towards the back of the vehicle, for easier egress, as you have to clear the oil pick-up tube and screen.

good luck; if you decide to tackle it.
...if you do, and get in a bind:

chris
nrt racing
713.933.5773 (7A-10P central time)
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
Ecordeddie
AF Newbie

Thanks for the tips.... I'm going to start wrenchin' on her after Labor Day....
Ecordeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:12 AM   #5
Jim Adams
AF Enthusiast

1979 is the c3 body style and the pan practically falls off,,the only thing you may have to do is raise the engine just about an inch and sometimes pending on your Distributor you may have to remove the dist.cap,,it is a very easy operation. good luck Corvettes are my favorite toy lol I have a 1976 a 1984 and a 1989 love them all good luck!!
Jim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette