Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:39 AM   #16
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

You guys still seem to fail to understand. IT WOULD COST THOUSANDS JUST TO IMPORT A VG30DETT INTO MEXICO, and that would be above the cost of the engine.
As I've stated before I'm a gringo, and own 300ZXTT's and can leagally do so, but a Mexican can't own a 300ZX in Mexico unless he can show it's a N/A. American powered 300ZX, little problem but a 300ZXTT no way. So all your I'd do this or no fuckin way would I do that or it's taking away from the Z is not a option in this case. None what so ever.
Now that being sayed, his only option is to find a late model something something and make a swap. If it were me I'd have looked for a SOHC or DOHC Ford but there kinda rare down here, but they are here.
Once again, a turbo'd Z is illegal for a Mexican to own in Mexico.
Help the guy, don't tell him he fucked up or made a serious mistake, cause he didn't. He did what ever it took to make his Z run. END
Old 05-09-2005, 01:42 AM   #17
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

wtf? why not? that's a stupid law...
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:23 AM   #18
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleriousZ
wtf? why not? that's a stupid law...
Viva la Mexico
Old 05-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #19
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

But THINK about it... how much more $$$ is it gonna cost to fab-up an LS1 swap??? Turbo's Illegal? Why not a stroked VG then? I dunno. TO EACH HIS OWN. If you are gonna do it... do it!

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
Old 05-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #20
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1viadrft
But THINK about it... how much more $$$ is it gonna cost to fab-up an LS1 swap??? Turbo's Illegal? Why not a stroked VG then? I dunno. TO EACH HIS OWN. If you are gonna do it... do it!
It was a TT with a blown engine. Worried about cost of a LS1 swap, but not the cost of a stroker kit.
Turbo's aren't illegal, 300ZXTT's are.
The speed tuners in Mexico are some of the best tuners in the world. To qualify this statement i've raced against alot of them and most of there cars were or are hand built, very few speed shop parts. Example: to get a nitrous kit in Mexico, that $1,000 kit US cost is now $3,000. A $200 cold air kit is now $600. To this fact you add that the average pay here is $4.50 a day, not a hour, but a day you'll see that most of you spend more on insurance than most Mexicans earn in a month.
I've seen a Chevy truck with a Dodge rearend and a Ford engine hooked to a Chevy transmission. Why? Cause at the time that was all that was available. And it was all done by hand. Now you mechanical wizz's try that shit. You talk crap about i'd do this or i'd do that, when in reality I can count on one hand with some fingers left over the guys that has done this or that in this room. Guys, I'm not ragging you but please learn to DIY and leave the exotic parts to those that can afford them.
May the Z live forever, even if it has a Chevy engine in it.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #21
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
i dont think your understanding me or us...

i dont care that he did it...GREAT!!! i understand what your saying about importing a VG or whatever, that it is expensive. thats why i said i want to see pictures. to each his own...i really dont care whom does what to his car because it isnt mine and i wont live long enough to give a f*** what other people do with their lives.

all as i am saying is, i would not put a LS1 in a Z32...i would rather have the N/A or put the VH45DE in. my opinion...you can say that i would but i wouldnt.

who cares if you can fab up parts and put together a car...bottom line is, as long as your making your car faster it doesnt matter what you do and if you have the money and you knwo what you want...why try and make something out of nothing. whether its store bought or not... i have bought a lot of parts for my car but i have also seen and helped my grandfather build 600hp stock cars from a junkyard chassis and parts that we didnt even know what kinda car it came from.

i think we all understand that it is expensive to import an engine to Mexico for whatever reasons but that doesnt mean that we have to like the idea of swapping a chevy LS1 into a 300zx. what we would do if we were in his position is irrelavant but a LS1 would have been one of the last thoughts i would have had. but i am not gonna take credit away from someone that actually pulled it off...very well done and i wish i could shake is hand because that is not a matter of just pickin up a wrench and turning a few bolts.

with all that said...i wanna see pictures.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 05-09-2005, 08:15 PM   #22
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT
Re: Re: Re: Re: V8 5.7 liter 300ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by probehtr300
well i wouldnt go that far,
but the point is, use what u can get and its all good, im sure the guy with the LS1 in the Z wouldave rather used a VG too but its all good

wow i would put a ls-1 in my Z before putting a honda engine in it i mean putting a little 4 cyl in and that engine trying to push a Z is way underpowered and is crap lol ..

ive seen an ls-1 on a z31 and its sick especially when its all hooked up...

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
Old 05-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #23
shaddoe
AF Regular

i have considered doing that to my z but my na is running really good so i'll just save that decision when the na takes a shit. i have installed many gm motors so the mechanics of this would be no problem since the cars i build are not just a drop in v8 application. there is a guy local that has a 2+2 with 550hp 427 in his but its way too loud. i like performance but i don't want it to sound like a dragster, the stock ls1 wouldn't sound that bad.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #24
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

Wanna see pics? Look at the thread in this section marked 300zx UPDATE.

Peace.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 PM   #25
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

umm too lazy to look for it a link would make it alot easier for eppl like me which is probably like 85% of pepl here that are gunna be lazy and not look lol so some1 lookd for it and post link here

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
Old 05-11-2005, 01:37 AM   #26
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
Old 05-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #27
MikeMan
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MikeMan

Jesus, its like the Nissan brand has turned into a damned religion. I don't think that anyone can deny that the LS1 is a half decent engine. A good engine, a good car, who cares who makes each? I'm sick of all the purists out there who put on their blinkers and will only consider the same manufacturer or even same goddamned engine.
Heres a tip for free: The z32 isn't anything special; its a fucking nice looking car with some excellent handling and a brilliant engine. Now if you swap in a LS1, guess what? Its a fucking nice looking car with some excellent handling and a brilliant engine.
Cmon people, give credit where credit's due. Chev have made a good engine but no one can recognise that because they're too preoccupied with the (superfluous) import vs. domestic debate that everyone seems to have an uneducated opinion on.
Personally, I don't care who the fuck makes my engine or chassis, as long as it looks good and performs good, just like I don't care who makes my toothbrush, who makes my socks or who makes my scramby eggs on toast in the morning.
Merits should be awarded on a case by case basis. Leave the blind evangelical brand-following to the ricers and you'll always come out in front.

-Mike
Old 05-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #28
Yaggus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Yaggus Send a message via MSN to Yaggus

*Applauds*
TT Mitsu GTO ------| Apexi AVCR, Dual 2 1/2" Exhaust, T3/T4 turbo, BOV
--------------------| Lowered King springs, Bilstein Struts & Shocks, Whiteline swaybars, Cusco Strutbraces
--------------------| 17" Advanti Rims, Kenwood Stereo, 94+ Tailights

K3:i have had this itch... the itch to bang a somewhat chunky girl... like i want it to jiggle a little
Old 05-11-2005, 02:32 PM   #29
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Thank you very much MikeM52an. Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm totally sick and tired of these holy car experts of whom we need there approval for the wheels, wings or body kit installed on our cars.
On the purest level in car shows, every part that didn't come stock with the car has points deducted from it's score. That being said, I don't think many Z owners can lat claim to being a purest.
Like you said the Z is a nice looking car that handles great and it's engineering is and was beyond anything built in it's time. But with age and careless drivers working against it's only a matter of time and it well be a hi-value collectors item.
If the only engine available and all I had was a riding lawn mower engine, guess what? I'd have the funnest sounding Z in the world, but I'd be driving it.
I think a forum should be setup for the purist Z owners so they may pratice there religion without interferance from real world group.
I think it might be a eye opener to know more people are looking into upgrading there engines with a swap rather than upgrading there VG30DE engine for cost reasons. Check out this site.

http://forums.hybridz.org/
Old 05-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #30
Bdetore
AF Enthusiast

I've had opinions on here before about what I like or what I think is sacriligeous on a car, but overall my philosophy is this. I respect anyone who puts hard work and heart into their car. I'm not a big Ford fan, but you give credit when it's due. I don't like the "riced" out huge fin, fart can Hondas, but when someone put in some serious work to do it right and make it work well, hey, credit there. The only thing I hate is short cuts, like shopping springs 'cause Daddy won't help out the 17 year old with his lowering kit, so the tires run through in 1500 miles, or using 99 cent house paint over the rusty spots. There's a big difference between doing what you can afford, and just plain doing a shitty job. If you can put a Corvette motor in a Z and make it work hell, meet me at my local Pub, Corona's on me. As for purists, I can respect the opinion, but if you aren't using a Nissan Filter for the oil change, you've already modded the car in a minimal sort of way, so relax a bit. It's not the end of the world. Now if he'd put a Peugot motor in it,...well,...then I might be upset.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD