Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
DannyC4
AF Regular

Exclamation The Best C4 of them all

Hello, I have a question for all you Corvette fans, wich would be the best overall C4 of them all? and I mean not just performance wise, like handling, options, price, everything; because I have an 84 Cross-Fire, I wanna modify it, but it seems like Im gonna end up spending a lot of money and time to make it perform like an L98, or even an LT1, but I dont even think It could get any close to LT4's, LT5's or LS1's, so, what I was thinking, should I invest that money uprgading my Crossfire, or just use that money along with the money I get from my 84 and buy myself a better one? I know ZR1's are awesome, but I just dont have that much money, and it needs special care maintenance wise, so, maybe a 92, or a 94? Thanks a lot guys, and dont forget to waive!!!
DannyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Joe Wilson
AF Regular

Probably get the latest year Vette that you can afford. I hear that the 96 is the ultimate C4, but I don't know why. I like my 85 just fine because it uses the old style small block, plenty of cheap parts and it seems reliable enough. With mods it performs pretty well too! Plus it has the multi-port, which I think is better than the 84. Just my opinion though. Joe
Joe Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to tacoma man.
Re: The Best C4 of them all

it seems like that you should be able to mod the cross fire just as easy as doing a tbi car. i beleive that you can build your motor anyway possible and have a custom chip burned for it. there is a speed shop close by where i live. i will call them tomarrow ans ask them if it can be done. and i will let you know.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
DannyC4
AF Regular

Damn, thanks a lot man! I really appreciate all of you guy's help and advice!
Old 01-23-2005, 02:11 AM   #5
DannyC4
AF Regular

So, which would be the best one, if I had to choose in between an L98 and a LT1? I mean, which is the one you can modify the most, gettting the most performance out of it, and still not having to sell one eye to pay for the mods? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

i called about the cross fire, they said it all depended on the way that you was building the engine.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
mik13usa
AF Enthusiast

C'mon guys the ultimate C-4 is the monster LT-5 powered ZR-1!1990-1996 only a few thousand ever produced!
mik13usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #8
mik13usa
AF Enthusiast

Sorry All, I guess I should learn to read before sticking my foot in my mouth. Danny, the '84 is a great car. Don't let anyone say otherwise. A few years ago CHP (Chevy High Performance) or Hot Rod, I can't remember, upgraded a crossfire to larger TBI's and chip and the thing ripped!
mik13usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:06 PM   #9
DannyC4
AF Regular

Well, I have been doing a little bit of research here and there, talking to some people via email, and I dont really think it would be worth the hassle, to spend all of that time and money upgrading/modifing the CFI L83 engine. Parts are hard to find and they are not cheap either becasue they are not that common. And the gains in HP and torque are not that great. So, I think Im just gonna keep my 84 for like a year or two, save some money, and buy myself an LT1 powered Vette. Damn Im gonna miss my 84, specially the body kit, but I can always buy myself another one. The parts for LT1 are more common, theres a lot to choose from, and the gains in HP and Torque are greater, they even have Nitrous Oxide shots and Superchargers, and the best of all IT WILL PASS SMOG TESTS!!!! It cant get any better than that.
Thanks a lot everybody for your time. And, well, the 84 its not a bad car, not at all, its a very very reliable car, and its saves a lot of gas compared to the other Vettes, but its just not fast enough for my need for speed.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:09 PM   #10
DannyC4
AF Regular

Oh heall yeah!, the LT-5 was the king of the C4's, no doubt about it, but they cost a lot of money!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

the quad cam lt5 C4 Vette rocks. but id say you might need to win the lottery to purchase one due to lack of production for the lt5 cars. id say prices are up there big time.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #12
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

My vote goes to the 1996 Corvette Grand Sport hatchback.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #13
Nicks91Z28
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nicks91Z28
no way the ultimate C4 is a 1986 Corvette L98 with 230hp iron heads... LOL im lil bias.. JK... I think the coolest C4 is the 88 Sludgehammer with 900hp.. But no one can get there paws on those... I think the 1990 Zr1s are awesome or any 6 speed Lt1 vette
Nicks91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #14
DannyC4
AF Regular

Hell yeah, the sledgehammer is freaking awesome! I agree with you man!
Old 02-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #15
DVS LT1
AF Enthusiast

I'd agree with everyone so far who mentioned the '96 LT4 powered models. Besides the Collectors Edition and the Grand Sport there were also a few other Vettes that got the LT4 along with the M6 tranny. I think you'll find these cars to be selling for a bit less than the other two high profile models. My favourite was the Collectors Edition - my neighbour had one back in the day and let me drive it a few times (mostly his wife that let me take it to school when he was away!). I still can't get over how fast that thing was, and this was an LT1 powered automatic with 2.73 gears! To this day I still think that car which was bare-bones stock is faster than my Z28 is right now. Besides being 18 years old and stupid, I have a video I made for an "art project" where my buddy and I have the camera rolling in the car for a boot - I ease into the gas (no launch or tire noise) and take the bitch up to 89 MPH @ 5400-5500 RPM in 2nd gear before shutting it down into an L turn... Craziest thing is I've gone back and timed the video run with a watch and she turned it in literally 10 seconds... One of these days I want to edit the film and superimpose a time clock onto the screen. Video brings back so many memories.

And uh, do ya think that Collectors Edition had any influence on me years later when I was looking at Camaro's??? lol

Silver 1995 Camaro Z28
Just a 383 LT1 - Naturally aspirated, 11:1 CR, off the shelf "very mild" (according to GMHTP) hydraulic street cam w/113 LSA, built 4L60E trans, T-tops, 17" C4 ZR-1/SS wheels, Flowmaster exhaust, etc...
DVS LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD