Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 09:06 PM   #76
Porsche911T
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Porsche911T
Im sorry I just like causeing trouble :finger: The fuck did you do to my eye! ahh please dont stick your stick shift in it
Porsche911T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 10:30 PM   #77
Blackbird01
AF Enthusiast

Stick shift? Wouldn't you rather have "Tiptronic"...?

Personally, I like Porsche's, but I don't necessarily think the 911 Turbo is worth it's hefty price tag. I had the chance to drive a 2001 911 Turbo, and yes, it was an amazing car....You turn the ignition and SILENCE. The car truely is a luxury/performance package.
But for the $, I'd rather have the ZO6. Corvette heritage, AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR SOUND and it has the ability to keep up with just about anything on the road these days, and not to mention, it's 1/3 the price!

Blackbird01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 04:39 PM   #78
Porsche911T
AF Regular

I have had the chance to buy a corvette. I love the old ones but any 1978 to present just don't please me. I think the body is dull and too plain. The interior on the other hand is extremly nice. Anyways, test dricing the corvette was fun, but I didn't feel any extreem acceleration that I expected. Hell, I feel more torque in my sister's four cylender acura integra. I guess the integra is just lighter and revers up higher than V8s. The corvette is like riding a jacuzzi. I bet the people that own the run over atleast 10 squirles and other things a day without even knowing it. But the old corvette, I LOVE. The bodies are unbelievably beautiful and the C3 vettes have a real nice interior. I like the C3s up to the end of the flying butress. I don't like the looks of all that glass. The C4s never attracted me and the new vette is "ehh". When I look at it the body is too plain and doesn't catch my eye. And no my friend another beautyful thing about tiptronic is that you can't stick it in your eye:licker:
One last thing, my car is an old Porsche 911 from 1969. Though the base 911 and the only one with carbs and no MFI, its still faster than some of the 70s-80s corvettes. And the 69T only got 120 Horsepower. Thats magic to get a car to go so fast with so little power. As for acceleration, average. The 1969 911S with MFI tops at 170 mph. The car is just as fast as the ZO6. Surprising isn't it? 33 year old monster is faster that cars today...

What made me get the Porsche 911 rather than Corvette? Safety. Corvette is 1/3 of the price as a Porsche, but if you crash in a corvette its likely thats the last time you'll drive one, or in fact drive anything. You can't put a price on life.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:31 PM   #79
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
Corvette= Raw Power and Performance
Porsche(excluding the Boxster)= Prestige and Performance
GSteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 07:38 PM   #80
Porsche911T
AF Regular

Gsteg - I agree with you about the boxster. I would never buy one, its just a fad. Wait a decade and it will just fade. This is why I'm mad the Corvette is compared to the boxster most of the time. The boxster is porsches cheapest model. Corvette is chevys best.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:46 PM   #81
Vertigo
AF Regular

Porche 911
Quote:
Anyways, test dricing the corvette was fun, but I didn't feel any extreem acceleration that I expected. Hell, I feel more torque in my sister's four cylender acura integra. I guess the integra is just lighter and revers up higher than V8s.
98 Integra 127 lb ft @ 5200 rpm
C5 Vette 400 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm

I can see how you had trouble telling the difference.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 09:26 PM   #82
Porsche911T
AF Regular

First of all you dont know which Corvette I test drove, what year, engine model.
You dont even know what acura she has, year, model.

OMG why must you assume everything. I give facts, you say what you think.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:47 PM   #83
Porsche911T
AF Regular

My sisters got a 1997 Acura integra LS. 128ft trq and weights 2685lbs
The Corvette I test drove was a L48 has near 200ft trq and weights 3,534 lbs

The corvette is 1,000 lbs heavier! I definetly noticed a difference with the integra and corvette. The integra was quicker, lighter and accelerated better than the corvette. The corvette was also 350 ci while the integra is 110ci.. yet the integra was faster. I could barely tell a difference with my fathers nissan pathfinder and the corvette acceleration. My fathers SUV has more horsepower than the vette, is bigger and accelerates about the same as the corvette.
Plus you crash in an integra (I have) you don't die, as a matter of fact I didnt even get a scratch. But if you crash in a vette you die. Go to crashtests.com. There arent many people that get injured in a vette, but the death rate is Poor ( the worst you could get). Maybe nobody gets injured in a vette because they all die...
Old 01-03-2002, 11:36 PM   #84
Z06Lover
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche911T

The corvette is 1,000 lbs heavier! I definetly noticed a difference with the integra and corvette. The integra was quicker, lighter and accelerated better than the corvette. The corvette was also 350 ci while the integra is 110ci.. yet the integra was faster. I could barely tell a difference with my fathers nissan pathfinder and the corvette acceleration. My fathers SUV has more horsepower than the vette, is bigger and accelerates about the same as the corvette.
Plus you crash in an integra (I have) you don't die, as a matter of fact I didnt even get a scratch. But if you crash in a vette you die. Go to crashtests.com. There arent many people that get injured in a vette, but the death rate is Poor ( the worst you could get). Maybe nobody gets injured in a vette because they all die...
well, i went and looked at crashtest.org..not com....com is nothing. Corvettes weren't tested..so where did you get your info...did you make it up..maybe so?
You are comparing an old assed, underpowered, emissions hampered corvette vs a very new car. Go check out a C5, or Z06..hell a C4 or Zr1 or any performance packaged 1960's vette vs an integra.

As for you porsche stats...i'm guessing they are about as reliable as your crash test stats. If you have a link for new corvette crash ratings...I would love to see em.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:40 AM   #85
Blackbird01
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche911T

Congrats. You succesfully tested an OLDASS slow Vette with a gas guzzling old SBC against a new Integra.
Ya know, I did something similar...
I went out and tested a 2001 Corvette Convertible (I just happened to have one sittin in my garage) and a 1981 Honda that I picked up at a local junk yard...Sorry, I couldn't make out the model, it was too rusty to read the name of the car.

Anyways, I first got out and tried driving the honda around town. My initial thought was that I wasn't even moving, but upon careful inspection, I noticed that I was indeed crusing along at a hefty .9 MPH. Soon after starting the car, blue exhaust gases started seeping in through the enormous hole that had rusted out thru the floors.
I finally got the thing moving (after pushing it down a hill) and hit it's top speed of 15mph! Woo Hoo!

Then, it was on to my C5 'Vert.
I had the top down while crusin' along at a paltry 85 MPH. Power and acceleration at any speed was quick and very smooth. Must be the new electronic fuel injection. Wind noise with the top up was slim to none, even WITH the ragtop...With it down, I was still able to hold a conversation with my passenger at 85 MPH without having to yell.

You want to know why the Corvette gets a "poor" death rate???
I honestly asked my insurance company this question when my dad bought HIS Vette. They told me it wasn't because of the Vettes bad crash tests. In fact, they've received fairly good crash test ratings. The fact that Corvettes are able to travel in excess of 170mph plays a key role in this one....Ever wonder what happens when you crash going 170mph? That's right kiddies, YOU DIE! Regardless of whether or not you're in a Corvette, an Integra or even a freakin' Hummer, if you crash while traveling at 170 MPH, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. Can't stop physics. The majority of Corvette driver DEATHS occur due to HIGH SPEED CRASHES. Maybe since the Integra can only go so fast, they don't see so many "HIGH SPEED CRASHES"....Hmmm???????

So there. I did a comparo like you, got some mixed results, and also had the chance to answer your "Corvette Crash Test Findings"...

Old 01-04-2002, 02:46 AM   #86
Blackbird01
AF Enthusiast

Also, I was just curious as to why Porsche owners are having such a hard time keeping their car from spinning out around turns or when traveling at high speeds???

I can answer the question, I'd just like to see your reply....
After all, Porsche's are so SAFE now aren't they???

Probably the reason why RUF makes ANYONE that wants to buy one of his cars take a driving skill test and MUST pass a road course test before they are even allowed to buy the car...

Old 01-04-2002, 10:02 AM   #87
bluevette74
Banned

hey 911t, well of course the corvette doesnt have all that much torque off the line, because its a highend torque car. You cant get a car that does 9's in the 1/4, and expect it to do 175 down the highway with no problem. And i really doubt that a 69 911 can do 170 mph, and i cant believe you compared it to the z06? first of all 170 mph isnt the only aspect of the car, you also have spectacular brakes, 0-60 in 3.9 sec, 400hp 400 lbs/ft of torque, and can hang in a rally with the wrx! If you want to compare a 69 vette with a 69 porsche go ahead, just remember the 69 vettes had big blocks 454's!
bluevette74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 12:15 PM   #88
Blackbird01
AF Enthusiast

The Big Blocks back in their day were fast.
Compared to todays standards they aren't.
GM's NEW Corvette now goes faster while using LESS GAS and utilizing a smaller engine.
What a wonderful thing technology does for ya eh?

Old 01-04-2002, 02:55 PM   #89
bluevette74
Banned

they arent that much faster, my dad has a 73 stingray 454, and he can wrap the needle around a 160 mph guage. we cant tell how fast he is going, but its well over 160.
bluevette74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 09:52 PM   #90
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
OK, in a recent Car and Driver, a Z06 and a 911 Turbo (2001, both of them), went aroung a road coarse. Guess who won? The Vette by a few seconds, not a few tenths, a few whole seconds. It was done on the same day in the same conditions. Granted, the Z06 can't take the GT2, but with a few mods, it could.

About that Lingenfelter 427 TT, I am unimpressed. The TT on the 350 has 650hp, so 77 cubes only addes 75 horsepower? When it adds 200 to the 350? I don't think so. Something's not right.

And I *HATE* heavy cars. Thats why the 959 and many new cars don't appeal to me. A 4000lb Lambo and 3400lb 911 Turbo, that just isn't right. If you think its safer, if it weighed less, it would crash with less force, so HA!