Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2004, 11:30 AM   #16
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic
 
k3smostwanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
lol...would you like to further explain how the manual is faster then an automatic. maybe stock for stock.

i dont think people realize how fast an automatic transmission can be or how stiff the shifts can be or how precise they can be. stock trannys usually have a less stiff shift because first its harder on the tranny and second they have to think about 90% of people that dont want to be jerked around in there seat when the tranny shifts. a slight build to an auto tranny is superior to the manual (refer to zgringo's post above). if you havent road or driven in a auto tranny that has been built up a little, then i advise you to and if you still come back and argue that the automatic tranny is not faster more precise and stiffer then you have brain damage because it hit your head so hard on the head rest that you cant think. yes, a manual is funner and better for an all around street car because of the fun factor but when it comes down to performance the auto is superior.

BTW: a built auto tranny can down shift just as fast as it can upshift meaning that it can downshift to a gear faster than you can press down your clutch. thats not including the time it took you to move the shifter back to the gear and let back off the clutch.
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4

Last edited by k3smostwanted; 10-13-2004 at 02:39 PM.
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #17
1viadrft
AF Fanatic
 
1viadrft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: AppleValley, California
Posts: 4,106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: automaticly slow transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z32TT_maniac
i dont belive all these crap..manual is always faster then auto..its too obvious
Obvious? You are so ignorant, child! Just 'cus the F&F boys said MT is the best does not make it gospel! The fastest (and I'm sure I'm repeating what has been stated already!) cars are indeed AT. Ever been to a DRAG race? Wow... most of those cars are AT!!! Holy Shit! Ask any ol' Muscle Car Guy what he drives... if he is into Drag or Street Racing... he most likely has... guess what? Yup! AT! Get your facts straight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
the automatic is faster.....in drag racing. but the z32 is more of a track car. manuals are better for the track, you can heel-toe downshift, you can have the right gear selected for exiting a corner (with an automatic, when you get to the exit of a corner, you have to wait for the tranny to downshift).
automatic -> straight-line
manual -> track
What are you smoking? Have you ever raced both AT and MT on a track? How do you know MT is better on a track? Ever raced on a track period? Most likely not! Did you not read what ZGringo posted? "All your Indy cars, Formula 1 cars, Cart cars and drag racing top boys use automatics." k3smostwanted: "BTW: a built auto tranny can down shift just as fast as it can upshift meaning that it can downshift to a gear faster than you can press down your clutch. thats not including the time it ook you to move the shifter back to the gear and let back off the clutch." These are facts! Another fact is that the 300ZX is not just a TRACK car! They were not made to be specific TRACK car!
__________________
1990 Z32 2+2 BLITZ SUS Intake, HKS ALC

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:55 PM   #18
Hodo
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mooresville, North Carolina
Posts: 1,104
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: automaticly slow transmissions

Heres a tid-bit of info on some of the fastest AT in the world. (I dont mean top speed, I mean shift speed) Subaru WRC impreza Sequintial shift Automatic transmission 6spd+1rev, costs :$60,000, shifts from first gear to sixth gear and back faster than any manual transmission can be shifted into second gear. It is the only racing transmission on the WRC that can be shifted into Reverse without haveing to come to a complete stop and placing the trans in neutral first. Fact of the matter is ATs are supperiour to the Manual in many ways. Given the choice I perfer to work on manuals but a AT pays more.
Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:04 PM   #19
1viadrft
AF Fanatic
 
1viadrft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: AppleValley, California
Posts: 4,106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: automaticly slow transmissions

Technically the tranny's in WRC cars are sequitial MT... they just have automatic-electronic-shifters... the driver can choose to actually shut this system off. But it's a real helpful when you have your hands full steering into the corners at Monte Carlo, etc. Just another reason why real AT's are so fantastic!
__________________
1990 Z32 2+2 BLITZ SUS Intake, HKS ALC

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:12 PM   #20
Zgringo
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bumfuck
Posts: 1,694
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy fuckin Toledo, some of you guys really got your crap togather. I'm proud to know you guys. Then their's the one's if you hit them with a sludgehammer can't or wont accept facts. I hope there not stupid, just stubborn.
Generally when I post something I'll include a article to back up what I say and to help expand one's knowledge, Unless I have first hand knowledge, then I'll tell you that. The one common thing we all have is the love of the car, and one in particular the Zed. All my life (well most of it) has been about learning about cars. In the begining it was very hard, as we had to learn by trial and error. As we learned and passed information on we got better, but it was a slow process. Now with the internet, hell it's all out there if you know what your looking for and take alittle time and read an learn. If you'd go back and read some of the posts i've left and read the one on turbo's and compression vs turbo's just to name a few then you can speak with authority, and not talk crap. I have a sign in my shop that reads," Hire a 20 year old while he still knows everything." I was 20 once and I remember how everyone was stupid but me and you, but I wasn't sure about you all the time. I'm not being disrespectful, just being about 80% right.
Now the site below is real cool and has lots of info. for those that want more info. and want to learn more.
Those of you that are trying to learn, I'll backup with my dying breath, but if you say shit I'll be in your shit with both feet and let you know. This is a cool site and a great place for help and learning.
When I recieved my Masters degree we were told, now you have the tools to know how to research your subject and become knowledgeable and a authority on the subject at hand.

Don't criticize my knowledge, correct your ignorance!!

http://www.chimera.co.nz/300zx/
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:28 PM   #21
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic
 
k3smostwanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
yeah...i have read alot of that site before. that picture of the Twin Turbo's manifold and turbos after a hard run is amazing. people wonder why turbo timers are a very important factor in your turbo's future and performance. lol.
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:00 PM   #22
zxdriver99
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Medicine Hat Ab
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to zxdriver99
Re: automaticly slow transmissions

you're all right.I'm wrong. i'm going to go sell my car and get an auto prius now and commute like all the other mindless drones to a windowless cubicle dead end job. thanks for making me see the error of my ways.
P.S. I want $6,000 cdn for it
zxdriver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:06 PM   #23
1viadrft
AF Fanatic
 
1viadrft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: AppleValley, California
Posts: 4,106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: automaticly slow transmissions

How about quit being a prick and pulling the stick out your ass while you're at it? No-one said MT was no good... like you said about AT. They both have their (dis)advantages...
__________________
1990 Z32 2+2 BLITZ SUS Intake, HKS ALC

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:15 PM   #24
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!
 
ZedEx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
Posts: 3,132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ZedEx
Re: automaticly slow transmissions

Agreed George...

Im just an automatic guy... Works for me *shrugs*

-Wes
__________________
-2000 PY Acura Integra Type-R #686 - WhoRe
-1997 EGP Honda Prelude Type-SH - Daily driver


R.I.P Hypsi87:Andy Filson
ZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 01:41 AM   #25
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic
 
k3smostwanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
yeah but that prius has one hell of an auto tranny. if i could get that to bolt to my VG i would be in business.
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 01:56 AM   #26
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast
 
freakonaleash1187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gardner, Kansas
Posts: 3,567
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: automaticly slow transmissions

so we are calling the F1 transmissions automatics? i didn't know schumacher (sp) pulls a stick and puts it in drive and goes. not trying to be a dick, just trying to prove a point. transmissions in F1 aren't really fully automatic. they are the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1viadrft
k3smostwanted: "BTW: a built auto tranny can down shift just as fast as it can upshift meaning that it can downshift to a gear faster than you can press down your clutch. thats not including the time it ook you to move the shifter back to the gear and let back off the clutch."
ummm, sorry i couldn't tell that he was going to post that. not to be nit-picky, but how can you use an argument against my opinion when it was after my post.

-Jared
__________________


ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:05 AM   #27
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic
 
k3smostwanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: automaticly slow transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
ummm, sorry i couldn't tell that he was going to post that. not to be nit-picky, but how can you use an argument against my opinion when it was after my post.

-Jared

huh??? i dont get what your trying to say. if you are implying that i was trying to call you out. that wasnt it. i was just stating something for information purposes only.
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:14 AM   #28
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast
 
freakonaleash1187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gardner, Kansas
Posts: 3,567
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: automaticly slow transmissions

no no no, i was calling 1via out, cuz you made a argument after my post, and then 1via was trying to use your argument saying that my argument was incorrect because of what you said, even though i didn't know what you said because you haven't said it yet when i posted my argument. yeah, i tried my best to explain that.

-Jared
__________________


ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:15 AM   #29
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic
 
k3smostwanted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 6,739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
oh oh oh....i see. i read that all wrong.
__________________
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:56 AM   #30
1viadrft
AF Fanatic
 
1viadrft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: AppleValley, California
Posts: 4,106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: automaticly slow transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
no no no, i was calling 1via out, cuz you made a argument after my post, and then 1via was trying to use your argument saying that my argument was incorrect because of what you said, even though i didn't know what you said because you haven't said it yet when i posted my argument. yeah, i tried my best to explain that.

-Jared
Calling me out? LoL Oh I forgot you are still into that hi-school shit... Well, maybe you should get your FACTS straight before flappin' your muck-mouth. Your comments are biased and uneducated and you have no-way to back them up! Let the big boys talk and maybe you can learn something?
__________________
1990 Z32 2+2 BLITZ SUS Intake, HKS ALC

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Bookmarks
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts