Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2004, 03:24 PM   #166
Evo8MR
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Midland, Texas
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Anyone even paying attention to the post with the links I made? Plenty of time slips and ETA's on those sites. Also note, invest 5 grand into an Evo 8, and you have something that a F body can't even touch quarter mile or otherwise without significant amounts of money dumped into it.

edit -- not to mention, an Evo 8 will outright slap around either the T/A or the Camaro in the 1320 and a roadcourse on equal footing.
Evo8MR is offline  
Old 05-09-2004, 03:54 PM   #167
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast
 
Filthy Sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Fremont, California
Posts: 337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MR
Anyone even paying attention to the post with the links I made? Plenty of time slips and ETA's on those sites. Also note, invest 5 grand into an Evo 8, and you have something that a F body can't even touch quarter mile or otherwise without significant amounts of money dumped into it.

edit -- not to mention, an Evo 8 will outright slap around either the T/A or the Camaro in the 1320 and a roadcourse on equal footing.
Sorry to tell you this but for 5 grand an Fbody will go just as fat friend. Actually maybe for less. Your name alone implies your bias! When you are biased towards one side there are always stats, figures, facts, and personal accounts to back up your beliefs, the same could be said of anyone biased towards the Fbody if they look hard enough they'll find the facts, stats, figures, and personal accounts to back up there arguements as well. Sorry to say but 1/4 mile for the most part belongs to the Fbody. However I'd give the track to the EVO hands down!
Filthy Sanchez is offline  
Old 05-09-2004, 05:38 PM   #168
Dodgeramit
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Frankford, Delaware
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MR
Anyone even paying attention to the post with the links I made? Plenty of time slips and ETA's on those sites. Also note, invest 5 grand into an Evo 8, and you have something that a F body can't even touch quarter mile or otherwise without significant amounts of money dumped into it.

edit -- not to mention, an Evo 8 will outright slap around either the T/A or the Camaro in the 1320 and a roadcourse on equal footing.

Putting 5k into an evo and only getting mid to low 12's...That's pathetic.
You could easily get an ls1 into at least low 11's with 5k.
Dodgeramit is offline  
Old 05-09-2004, 05:48 PM   #169
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast
 
aznxthuggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 626, California
Posts: 1,060
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wait so this is an inline 4 against a v8? HAHAH atleast compare on the same level if you're going to bash on the evo, try making all the american inline 4 engines make 300+ horsepower easily, and stop talkin about how the v8 can beat the inline 4 please
aznxthuggie is offline  
Old 05-09-2004, 06:24 PM   #170
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast
 
Filthy Sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Fremont, California
Posts: 337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
wait so this is an inline 4 against a v8? HAHAH atleast compare on the same level if you're going to bash on the evo, try making all the american inline 4 engines make 300+ horsepower easily, and stop talkin about how the v8 can beat the inline 4 please

Then don't ever bring up a 4 beating and 8. Why is it always My 4 can kick all V-8 ass then when it doesn't happen it's "well it was a V-8, with twice as many cylinders etc." There are some great 4cylinder engines out there, with the correct combo can hold with V-8s so lets not say we shouldn't compare them. If I drive one and someone pulls up with the other I'm not going to back down and say wait a minute we can't compare these.
Filthy Sanchez is offline  
Old 05-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #171
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast
 
aznxthuggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 626, California
Posts: 1,060
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Sanchez
Then don't ever bring up a 4 beating and 8. Why is it always My 4 can kick all V-8 ass then when it doesn't happen it's "well it was a V-8, with twice as many cylinders etc." There are some great 4cylinder engines out there, with the correct combo can hold with V-8s so lets not say we shouldn't compare them. If I drive one and someone pulls up with the other I'm not going to back down and say wait a minute we can't compare these.
where did i say my 4 can beat your 8? please enlighten me on that, i think your getting angery over little reasons like talking to people online, just don't let it get to you, and everyones killing eachother over this forum, seriously lol cool it people
aznxthuggie is offline  
Old 05-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #172
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast
 
Filthy Sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Fremont, California
Posts: 337
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
where did i say my 4 can beat your 8? please enlighten me on that, i think your getting angery over little reasons like talking to people online, just don't let it get to you, and everyones killing eachother over this forum, seriously lol cool it people
Didn't claim you said that, and I can honestly say I'm not angry. I said there are plenty of impoert car guys who brag about there 4 cylinders whooping everything, and when it doesn't happen they make excuses. I also said there are some great 4cylinder engines out there. I believe I did say that if I had one or the other and someone in the opposite challenged me I wouldn't back down. I'm trying hard to find the emotion of anger within' my post however it just doesn't seem to be there?
Filthy Sanchez is offline  
Old 05-09-2004, 06:58 PM   #173
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast
 
aznxthuggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 626, California
Posts: 1,060
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Sanchez
Didn't claim you said that, and I can honestly say I'm not angry. I said there are plenty of impoert car guys who brag about there 4 cylinders whooping everything, and when it doesn't happen they make excuses. I also said there are some great 4cylinder engines out there. I believe I did say that if I had one or the other and someone in the opposite challenged me I wouldn't back down. I'm trying hard to find the emotion of anger within' my post however it just doesn't seem to be there?
lol i see, well im not into racing or anything (mostly because of my car, and my lack of cash) but im pretty sure if i had like a 240 with an sr20 or an evo/sti i would be emotionally linked into this thread (as most of the people are) heh anyways have fun guys gtg for now
aznxthuggie is offline  
Old 05-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #174
Dodgeramit
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Frankford, Delaware
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
wait so this is an inline 4 against a v8? HAHAH atleast compare on the same level if you're going to bash on the evo, try making all the american inline 4 engines make 300+ horsepower easily, and stop talkin about how the v8 can beat the inline 4 please
You could get that much hp out of an american inline four, the same way the evo get's it, a turbo......take the turbo off and it pobably only makes 150-200hp...so what's your point?
Dodgeramit is offline  
Old 05-10-2004, 12:23 AM   #175
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast
 
aznxthuggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 626, California
Posts: 1,060
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeramit
You could get that much hp out of an american inline four, the same way the evo get's it, a turbo......take the turbo off and it pobably only makes 150-200hp...so what's your point?
ok give me a list of american cars that have inline 4s that have a stock turbo, having trouble thinking?

also without the turbo an evo probably barely makes 140hp, but its the potential the engine has being stock, you can slap on any turbo that gives under 500hp and it'll still run good for years to come, have fun making an american car last as long as the average honda civic, with out without a turbo it won't, and its proven, japanese cars are more reliable than american cars, its been proven for years, thats why american cars devalue alot instantly the moment u buy it, while japanese cars keep their value high, providing high resale. american cars can't last long with or without turbo
aznxthuggie is offline  
Old 05-10-2004, 02:05 AM   #176
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast
 
Kurtdg19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 739
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
ok give me a list of american cars that have inline 4s that have a stock turbo, having trouble thinking?

also without the turbo an evo probably barely makes 140hp, but its the potential the engine has being stock, you can slap on any turbo that gives under 500hp and it'll still run good for years to come, have fun making an american car last as long as the average honda civic, with out without a turbo it won't, and its proven, japanese cars are more reliable than american cars, its been proven for years, thats why american cars devalue alot instantly the moment u buy it, while japanese cars keep their value high, providing high resale. american cars can't last long with or without turbo
Say what? Have you ever heard of the SRT-4? Just say your biased and we'll leave the rest of your posts with that in mind. I'm not bashing the Evo or any Japanese car in that respect because i do respect them. Just give your post some thought before you rant off. Dodge/Chrysler has a past for putting turbos in their cars. Quit being so closed minded. You have no idea how much work there is involved to get 500hp out of any car.

I do believe that from Evo8's postings that you can get quite a bit of extra's with 5k invested in an Evo. LS1 T/A's can be done the same way. Lingenfelter (as an example) can tune a T/A with parts/labor with close to 500hp for less than 6-8k and your in upper 11s all with a 2yr warranty backing. Although I'm not quite sure what you mean about equal footing? Are you suggesting the same level of mods, grip, suspension work, or a bit of everything? I would think they would be pretty equal on equal footing.
Kurtdg19 is offline  
Old 05-10-2004, 12:33 PM   #177
flylwsi
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 4,348
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

exactly.
consider who had the first turbo 4's...

dodge had them in the old daytonas, omni glh's...
ask polygon about his lebaron that would kill most anything he came up against...

ever see the video of the 10 second dodge caravan?
had a turbo 2.4 in it...

kurt...
your note on the et is well viewed...
and on a road course, i think we're on the same track...
long straights, and the F body would, at the least, hang with the evo...
i guess it depends on what kind of corners are on the track, but on stock tires, i'm still going to give the edge to the evo, a proven track machine... (not that the f body isn't, but in stock form... hmm...)
flylwsi is offline  
Old 05-10-2004, 01:45 PM   #178
Dodgeramit
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Frankford, Delaware
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
ok give me a list of american cars that have inline 4s that have a stock turbo, having trouble thinking?

also without the turbo an evo probably barely makes 140hp, but its the potential the engine has being stock, you can slap on any turbo that gives under 500hp and it'll still run good for years to come, have fun making an american car last as long as the average honda civic, with out without a turbo it won't, and its proven, japanese cars are more reliable than american cars, its been proven for years, thats why american cars devalue alot instantly the moment u buy it, while japanese cars keep their value high, providing high resale. american cars can't last long with or without turbo
First off I never said they had turbos, I said if they did. American motors can handle turbos too and run well, I've seen it done.

Your quote about american cars not being able to last as long as japanese cars....It doesn't matter what kind of car you have, as long as you maintain a car it will last a very long time. I know a guy back home who has a ford ecoline van that he travels in and it has over 750,000 miles on it. All he does is keep up on maintenance. Japanese cars do have higher resale value, but that is it...Either of them will last just as long if you maintain them.
Dodgeramit is offline  
Old 05-10-2004, 03:15 PM   #179
flylwsi
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 4,348
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

what does that have to do with the comparo, though?
(no offense)

but this is going to turn into a stupid ass imports vs. domestics thread, which is pointless.

we're comparing performance of 2 vehicles.
end of story.
they've both got strengths and weaknesses, which we've all hit on.

why do we have to get into the "american cars are crap" BS?
seriously.
why resort to something as childish as that?
flylwsi is offline  
Old 05-10-2004, 03:17 PM   #180
3000ways
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Diamond Bar, California
Posts: 532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Sanchez
Sorry to tell you this but for 5 grand an Fbody will go just as fat friend. Actually maybe for less. Your name alone implies your bias! When you are biased towards one side there are always stats, figures, facts, and personal accounts to back up your beliefs, the same could be said of anyone biased towards the Fbody if they look hard enough they'll find the facts, stats, figures, and personal accounts to back up there arguements as well. Sorry to say but 1/4 mile for the most part belongs to the Fbody. However I'd give the track to the EVO hands down!
Sorry to tell you, but it doesn't take 5 grand to get an EVO in the 12s, try more like less that $2,000. $5,000 easily puts the EVO in the 11s. Don't get me wrong, I have respect for the Camaros and Mustangs of the world just like anybody else, but don't be ignorant to the fact that the EVO is also an awesome car to tune. Besides the Camaro and Mustang are entirely different cars, only thing in common is price, if you compare the all around performance of the EVO, the Camaro and Mustangs are no match (unless your talking Saleen or etc.). The difference is the EVO is just at home on the drag strip as it is on the race track, or on the street racing scene in the United States and the rest of the world. Even in Russia they race EVOs on frozen lakes, and in the deserts of South Africa, the point is, when ever, where ever, and how ever, you want to race the EVO is ready and willing. Let's not forget the EVO has barely been around in the USA and the world for like alittle over 10 years, the Camaros and Mustangs have been around for much longer than that. So if the EVO makes it through Mitsubishi's problems, it will only get better. Also prepare for the EVO MR which costs under $35,000 and does the 1/4 Mile in the 12s stock. For your enjoyment here is a some videos of EVOs in action check it out-

http://features.evolutionm.net/article/lanevo/39/4
3000ways is offline  
 
Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Bookmarks
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts