Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
frankm55
AF Newbie

Calling Lincoln LS Mechanics with NGS experience

I have a 2000 Lincoln LS 3.9L. I’m trying to use the NGS ABS Bleed Function via the Green Card Version 12.0. The NGS display for the Lincoln LS only shows the 2003 – 2004 years but not the year that I need. The Service Manual states to follow the instructions on the NGS. If I use the 2003 – 2004 selection, I press the brake pedal and click trigger. Then, I get Energizing Valves for a brief instant and then – Unable to perform Test/ Function and – Sub Function not supported or invalid format. Has any NGS user had this problem? I find it hard to believe that the Green card would have only 2 model years for the LS (and Thunderbird) and not the prior ones. Other Models have more years available in the list.
frankm55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
shorod
SHO Off

Re: Calling Lincoln LS Mechanics with NGS experience

The factory service manual for your 2000 LS makes no mention of using an NGS or any other scan tool to bleed the system. I started with the HCU replacement as I knew that would require bleeding the brakes afterwards, it linked to the bleeding procedure, and the bleeding procedure describes bleeding either manually (the old school way) or with a pressure bleeder. No special equipment is required.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
frankm55 (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
frankm55
AF Newbie

Hello Shorod and thank you for your reply. My Ford Workshop Manual dated 10- 1999 shows that as step 1 under Manual Bleeding. It’s possible the manuals could have been updated to negate that step. I chose the Manual method since I didn’t have a Power Bleeder on hand. Power Bleeding instructions follow the Manual Method and there is no mention of NGS there. I will be ordering a Motive Products 107 soon. Hopefully that will resolve my problem.

I think I have air trapped in the ABS HCU. My original problem was a defective Primary Brake Transducer (C1288) that caused the Advancetrac indicator to light. I most likely got air up into the Master Cylinder during replacement that worked its way down. I have bled the brakes twice with the old Manual method but still get the Check Advancetrac Message and the light indication when the brake is pushed hard. It sets codes C1288 and C1289. The pedal doesn’t feel as firm as it should and does sink a bit. The message and light go out when I turn the ignition off to on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Workshop Manual.jpg (203.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Bleeder Page.jpg (267.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #4
shorod
SHO Off

Apparently it was redacted. The revision date from my service manual is 10/10/2003.

NOTE: When any part of the hydraulic system has been disconnected for repair or installation of new components, air can get into the system and cause spongy brake pedal action. This requires bleeding of the hydraulic system after it has been correctly connected. The hydraulic system can be bled manually or with pressure bleeding equipment.
  1. Clean all dirt from and remove the brake master cylinder filler cap and fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with the specified brake fluid..
  2. Place a box end wrench on the RH rear bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH rear bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.
  3. Have an assistant hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
  4. Loosen the RH rear bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the RH rear bleeder screw.
    • Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
    • Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.
  5. Tighten the RH rear bleeder screw.
  6. Repeat Steps 3, 4, 5 and 6 for the LH rear bleeder screw.
  7. Place a box end wrench on the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw, and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.
  8. Have an assistant hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
  9. Loosen the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
    • Repeat until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
    • Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.
  10. Tighten the RH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw. For additional information, refer to Specifications inthis section.
  11. Repeat Steps 8, 9, 10 and 11 for the LH front disc brake caliper bleeder screw.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
frankm55
AF Newbie

Well I bled the brake lines till I bled myself and didn't get any improvement. I figured something else had to be wrong. So, I replaced the Master Cylinder with a new one from Cardone. After bleeding the lines, the problems with Advancetrac errors are gone and I went on to the Calibration and everything is fine now. Thanks to all those who gave their help.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
shorod
SHO Off

Interesting, glad to hear you have it squared away now!

Thank you for following up with what you discovered.

-Rod
Old 06-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
frankm55
AF Newbie

Here is a photo of the old Master Cylinder taken apart. I had to drill holes in the circlip to disassemble it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LS Master Cylinder.jpg (129.9 KB, 2 views)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD