Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
slawit
AF Newbie

the bewildering range of polishes

Hello to all.
I have a Saab 93 and I want protect my paint work with the best product I can find, however the myriad of products out there has just left me bewildered.
I understand what T cuts and cutting compounds do, however I still don’t understand the difference between a wax, a cream a glaze and a polish, then there is the hard waxes to consider. I have also being told nothing will protect your car for more than 6 months before it needs reapplying any thoughts?

Maybe this one is another thread entirely, but is anyone else completely baffled by how a waterless car wash system can wash a car without scratching the paintwork?

Regards
Slawit
slawit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: the bewildering range of polishes

A "waterless" car wash system is just that, a system that uses less water. Kind of like the difference between "sugar-free" and "sugarless" chewing gum. The waterless car washes I have used typically suggest 2 gallons of water to a small amount of the soap. Then use a clean microfiber cloth, soak it in the water, and gently wipe down one or two panels at a time. Dry with another clean microfiber. From my experience (including on my black car) it works well as long as I'm only trying to clean off dust and minor road/bird/bug grime. Also, if I don't buff a bit during the drying, the soap leaves a residue behind. I've had the same results with 3 different systems.

As for the myriad of waxes and polishes, the polish is what will get the minor surface imperfections out and prepare the paint for a glaze or a wax. A glaze will remove very minor surface imperfections and provides a slightly better surface for the wax.

Your best shine will likely come from a pure carnauba wax. But for the longest protection, my favorite product is Collinite 845 insulator wax. It's original purpose was not as a car wax, but folks have found it is VERY long lasting in that application. The other thing I like about it is that it does not leave a residue if you accidentally get some on the car trim. The shine is impressive as well.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical