Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 10:03 AM   #1
joe woj
AF Newbie

95 oldsmobile cutlass 3.4 timming belt

i have a 95' olds cutlass conv that i take execelent care of, its just a sunday driver on nice days kinda car, i just turned 45k miles on it, and do regular maintanince on it, it has a 3.4 dohc engine and i hear that it is what is considered a zero clearance engine, so if the timming belt breaks pistons hit valves "ugly" and "expensive" so with 45k on the clock im thinking of having it changed but even my olds dealer cant give me the straight scoop if this is a zero clearance engine! , i dont mind to spend the money to have it done i just wish someone can give me a straight anwser, i guess its not a real common engine but they were mostly in olds cutlass's and lumina z-34's if anybody has any insight? comments? ideas? im just trying to make a informed desision, the dealer quoted me 450 to 500 bucks for this job. what do you all think?
joe woj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 12:38 AM   #2
olds88
AF Enthusiast

hmmmm i cannot remember if thats one of them or not but even though i would have the timing belt inspected and replaced if necesary sory i couldend be more of a help

p.s. a timing belt on a chrysler LHS will run about a grand with a water pump and new seals. so i would just put a new belt on for saftys sake

what is the world coming to???
olds88 is offline   Reply With Quote