Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
Chaos304
AF Newbie

Can someone give me their opinion? I may have blew the engine!

Basically i've had the legacy 98 for about a year and it has 204000 miles on it. It recently blew a head gasket but due to insufficient funds i've just been temporarily fixing the issue with barseal and running it on water(because its too expenseive to keep putting coolant in it when it leaks out). So i was making a trip for training classes and the car started to over heat so i pulled over for a while and put coolant in it and continued to try and get to an exit to get off the interstate and park it however before i got there the engine started to lose acceleration until there was none even with the foot on the gas and then the engine suddenly shut off. I will link you to the video that i made to show u the noise the care makes upon trying to start it. It was roughly about 40 degrees f so im worried i might have thrown a rod or cracked the engine block, heres the link: https://youtu.be/Nj3HvKNEnkg
Chaos304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Can someone give me their opinion? I may have blew the engine!

If you threw a rod and/or cracked the engine block, you'd most likely be leaking oil, coolant, or both. I suspect what you may have done is fried the piston rings. Do a compression test and that will tell you if that's what happened. If the compression is really low, the rings are fried and your engine is done for. Another thing you can do is drain your oil, pour it through a couple of coffee filters, and check for metal shavings. If there are metal shavings in your oil, that is a bad sign. You may need a new engine, or a new car, whichever you can find for less.
Let this be a lesson to you; if you have a bad head gasket, fix it right away because if you don't, it will just lead to bigger more expensive problems.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport