Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
wallacengineering
AF Newbie

Exclamation Major clutch/ transmission problem

I just bought a 1985 custom Fiero last week (Custom Engine, transmission, clutch, exhaust, camshaft, and performance computer chip). On the drive home, the clutch started smoking and then the transmission shifter cable snapped after attempting to change gear. The previous owner had had it for 15 years without a problem and said it could be because of the altitude change (3000-9000 feet), causing an air bubble to form in my clutch line. I was also hoping some of you guys could help me find a website where I could purchase the cable at an affordable price (as I work at Wendy's and therefore have a VERY tight budget). I was also wondering if you guys knew how to install it, and how to get my clutch working again? I am also having some problems with the pop-up head lights, but I will post another topic later on, on that subject. Thanks guys!
wallacengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Major clutch/ transmission problem

Am I going to be the one to say it?

Nope, I refuse to drop to that level....but isn't it amazing how these things happen on used 26 year old vehicles that are just sold....and a "Custom" to boot....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
wallacengineering
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Am I going to be the one to say it?

Nope, I refuse to drop to that level....but isn't it amazing how these things happen on used 26 year old vehicles that are just sold....and a "Custom" to boot....
Thing is the previous owner is a master mechanic and hadn't had any problems with it for over 15 years. Pretty much I believe what's happening to me is because of the altitude, or just plain shinnanagans.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
trannyman52
AF Regular

www.fierostore.com 1-800-343-7648 134.70 for shift cable,,shipped,,,,well made aftermarket cable
trannyman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #5
wallacengineering
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trannyman52 View Post
www.fierostore.com 1-800-343-7648 134.70 for shift cable,,shipped,,,,well made aftermarket cable
What do you think of this Dorman cable? https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut...ml?3593=247348
Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
trannyman52
AF Regular

you can try,,,,,most are out of stock,,,the part # was good except on one has in stock,,like an old number,,,,,fiero store has in stock,,,,price not too bad ,,,,do what you want
Old 10-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
wallacengineering
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trannyman52 View Post
you can try,,,,,most are out of stock,,,the part # was good except on one has in stock,,like an old number,,,,,fiero store has in stock,,,,price not too bad ,,,,do what you want
I did end up joining up with the Fiero Store and ordering there. The Dorman cables just seem lower in quality and they were out of stock so my order would have been delayed by as much as a month. I don't know about you guys, but an extra $40 is well spent on better quality and getting it earlier. There is only one problem, though. In 1985 Pontiac never built a 5-Speed Manual Version of the Fiero. Because this is what my car is (being custom and all), I ordered a cable designed for the 1986 5-speed instead. Here is the part number:

64252 1 86-88 V6 5spd ADJUSTABLE SHIFT CABLE $124.95

Do you guys think I'll have any problems with this part? I just ordered it this morning so I will have about 30 days to decide weather or not to return it.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
trannyman52
AF Regular

Shift cable should work fine ,,,,just purchased one for 87 Fiero ,,,installed with no issues,,well ,,,you might want to re-work the ball connector on the transmission ,,,,make it 3/8 of an inch longer or so ,,,that will stop side stress on cable,,,,this may help from breaking again,,and from connector popping off...they make a retainer to keep it from popping off,,but there is stress on the cable...I cut the ball off,,, welded a 5/16 nut between the ball and the threded piece,,,re-installed ,,,worked really good ,,should not have issues with cable popping off......
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
wallacengineering
AF Newbie

Wow it was the wrong cable. Lol the old cable is 6 inches longer (and so the new one does not reach), and on the new one there is two standard tie-rod ends connecting the shifter to the transmission, where as on the stock the tie rod end connects to the shifter and a ball end bolt connects to the transmission. There are pictures attached to this post showing the differences when layed next to each other. The black one is the OEM factory part that was installed, and the silver one I just ordered from the FieroStore.com. In the second picture you can clearly see where the end of the cable sheered off at the shifter end. There is an additional 2 - 2 1/2 Inches missing in that shot, the sheered part that is still connected to the shifter in the car. Now I was looking at this cable: (Part # 65616) http://www.fierostore.com/Product/De...65616&d=68&p=1 and saw that it has the correct ends, but I have no idea if it is long enough or what. I emailed the Fiero Store asking if they take returns and asking if this new part was the correct one. The problem is that Pontiac never built a 5-speed version of the V6 GT Fiero in 1985, those versions came in 1986-1988, so the part I am looking at now is for the 1985 STANDARD 4 cylinder 5-speed Fiero. Thats as close as I can get. What do you think?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
wallacengineering
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacengineering View Post
Wow it was the wrong cable. Lol the old cable is 6 inches longer (and so the new one does not reach), and on the new one there is two standard tie-rod ends connecting the shifter to the transmission, where as on the stock the tie rod end connects to the shifter and a ball end bolt connects to the transmission. There are pictures attached to this post showing the differences when layed next to each other. The black one is the OEM factory part that was installed, and the silver one I just ordered from the FieroStore.com. In the second picture you can clearly see where the end of the cable sheered off at the shifter end. There is an additional 2 - 2 1/2 Inches missing in that shot, the sheered part that is still connected to the shifter in the car. Now I was looking at this cable: (Part # 65616) http://www.fierostore.com/Product/De...65616&d=68&p=1 and saw that it has the correct ends, but I have no idea if it is long enough or what. I emailed the Fiero Store asking if they take returns and asking if this new part was the correct one. The problem is that Pontiac never built a 5-speed version of the V6 GT Fiero in 1985, those versions came in 1986-1988, so the part I am looking at now is for the 1985 STANDARD 4 cylinder 5-speed Fiero. Thats as close as I can get. What do you think?
Sorry, those pics did not upload correctly the first time. Here they are.Ball Cap Ends.jpg

Sheered Ends.jpg