Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 12:12 AM   #1
piscorpio
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to piscorpio
Need help, to help a friend

Hey guys, I dont own a Nissan personally, Im usually in the Honda/Acura forum. I do need some help though. My fried recently wrecked his 99-00? Maxima SE. Now, the insurance has not totalled the car, but a new engine/tranny is necessary (dont ask why, I dont get it either). What could he possibly drop into the car that would be a nice upgrade? I know that after 2001 I think, the engine raised output I believe? Also, just as a heads up, is there any way to read the VIN number on a Nissan engine that could tell me exactly what engine it is? (so he doesnt get cheated with a lame engine) Thanks for any info you guys can give me, Im pretty clueless when it comes to Nissan engines.
piscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 11:03 AM   #2
redrum85
AF Regular

well the 99 and 00 have 2 different engines (Im not sure about the names). the 99 has the 190hp vq engine while the 00 has a 222hp engine. i really dont know much about 5th gen maximas, except that they are FAST!
Old 07-27-2002, 12:29 PM   #3
piscorpio
AF Fanatic

its the 2000 222hp
Old 07-27-2002, 07:23 PM   #4
redrum85
AF Regular

I think that the 2000 and up models of the max use the same chassis. So why dont you tell your friend to drop in a 2002 engine. It has 255 hp and is faster than the 222hp engine. the vin should tell you what kind of engine it is. Just take it to a delearship. I remember this one site where it said how to read it but i forgot the name.i'll try to find out.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:16 AM   #5
piscorpio
AF Fanatic

thats what i figured, I guess Ill have to look around for how to read the VIN. Thanks guys.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:02 PM   #6
mattymax
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mattymax
maxima.org forums has a post i believe in the genral discussion or maybe in the 4thg gen and FAQ sections about how to read the VIN number also you could do a search on google.com .. How to read a maxima VIN ... or something to that affect.... www.howthingswork.com? hehe good luck.
mattymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:34 PM   #7
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

any maxima engine will fit in any other maxima except the 3.5l.
They're all the same 3.0liter 181 cu. in. fwd engine. you could even put an infiniti vq30det engine in it. It has a turbo charger on it from the factory. It comes out if the infinity I30. It's a rare engine though. $$$
Paonessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 02:18 AM   #8
piscorpio
AF Fanatic

Exclamation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**UPDATE**

A new twist in my friends dilemna. After first examination of the damage, the mechanic said he would be surprised if the car wasn't claimed "totalled". Then, they said the engine and transmission would just need to be replaced. Now, they claim that "a few bolts were loose, and the oil was changed and flushed a few times" and everything is fine!!! Doesn't this seem a bit fishy to anyone else? I mean, his oil pan was ripped off in the accident, and he drove it for a while after to get it off the highway and into a lot. The insurance company claims they wont allow the engine change becuase a new engine will not be warrantied. Anyone have some input here? Maybe a mod could move this to a tech forum to get me some detailed info or something?

Please help me out guys, I think my friend is getting screwed here.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35