Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
90civichatch
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 90civichatch
DOHC ZC vs. SOHC VTEC

People seem to always prefer one over the other when it comes to these engines and they seem to run about the same in price. I need to know which motor actually performs better when lightly modified (intake, header and exhaust) and which will produce faster quarter mile times. I know your going to tell me to "search" but I’ve tried and all I found was an argument between friends and it offered no help. Thanks in advance.

-Derek
Old 07-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
91civichatch2571
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 91civichatch2571
search!

Just kidding, actually, they will both produce very similar times in the quarter mile. Basically, it depends on the driver which one would win, its that close. Personally, I chose ZC because its an easier swap and I like that fact that its DOHC because I plan on adding turbo down the road and that will make it much easier to tune.
91civichatch2571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:05 PM   #3
90civichatch
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the ZC because I like the fact that it's DOHC as well. Also I was looking into a ZC trans over an A6, I've read that he ZC is better for acceleration, but is it a big difference?

-Derek
Old 07-18-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
91civichatch2571
AF Enthusiast

It is better for acceleration but as you may already know, when your cruising down the highway at 70, your tach is gonna be up around 4 grand as opposed to the a6 tranny which would be more towards 3.2 grand. so, either you accerate real fast and get mediocre gas mileage, or you accelerate fast and get better gas mileage. Anyways, I have a ZC trans that I can sell you. It comes with intermediate shaft and you can have it for $200
Old 07-18-2003, 09:11 PM   #5
90civichatch
AF Enthusiast

I'm still curious, how much faster is the ZC trans over the A6, is it like a tenth of a second difference, or something not even that noticible?

And about the one your selling, what kind of shape is it in? Any grinds? Thanks.

-Derek
Old 07-18-2003, 09:19 PM   #6
91civichatch2571
AF Enthusiast

I think it definitly would take some time off your 1/4 mile but I dont know first hand. The one Im selling came with my engine, I never drove it but they said it has less than 50k on it so it shouldnt grind and looks to be in good condition.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:35 PM   #7
GTA
Whee..

Quote:
Originally posted by 91civichatch2571
Anyways, I have a ZC trans that I can sell you. It comes with intermediate shaft and you can have it for $200
damn...if there was no shipping i would probably get that so i dont have to use my dx tranny when i swap in my z6.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR
2007 Toyota Prius

I <3 and miss my 4g
GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:55 PM   #8
DarkImportGrey
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DarkImportGrey Send a message via MSN to DarkImportGrey Send a message via Yahoo to DarkImportGrey
they make the same HP basically, i think the ZC is 130 and the SOHC VTEC is 129, but the ZC has more torque...

i would prefer the ZC as well, MUCH easier swap, no hydrolic clutch to deal with, no OBD1 bullshit... plus they sound so GOOD, like no other motor...
Old 07-18-2003, 11:00 PM   #9
95civicman
AF Enthusiast

i personally like the sound of a wrx motor with exaust. mmmmmm my fav. sound, even more than a farariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiii!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:04 PM   #10
90civichatch
AF Enthusiast

Does anyone know where I can find a good deal on a DOHC ZC, Hmotorsonline is sold out.

-Derek
Old 07-18-2003, 11:36 PM   #11
civicHBsi91
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to civicHBsi91
you dont have to use hydro tranny, or OBD1, z6's are newer and probably have alot less miles, theres tons of aftermarket support, and the gsr sounds the best out of honda imo
Old 07-18-2003, 11:59 PM   #12
Xtreme Illusions
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Xtreme Illusions
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can find a good deal on a DOHC ZC, Hmotorsonline is sold out.
You can get one from www.Nippon-Motors.com They are really friendly and have great prices. Just tell them Ryan Brady of Xtreme Illusions sent you. Good luck!
Xtreme Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 02:08 AM   #13
XxLuckyLisaxX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to XxLuckyLisaxX
well i think that they have the same amount of torque, so that cannot really be a factor

so you have to ask yourself yes i know you would like a fat dual cam in your engine bay its lovely but a lot of times when you buy those zcs you dont know what shape their in some people get them and they run cool but others blow them or something fucks up realy quick because its still a 14 year old motor ya know

so with the sohc vtec you buy from someone that you know what shape its in because thay had it in their car other than kinda taking that risk with the zc...but sounds like you've already decided anywho

Say NO to Primer!!
XxLuckyLisaxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 02:10 AM   #14
civicHBsi91
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to civicHBsi91
Quote:
Originally posted by 90civichatch

-Derek
dude come to glen burnie and goto hondamans and ask, they can get you a motor, it'll be way cheaper from ordering from nippon motors too because they are in cali......shipping...yea....shyt ill even meet you somewhere and show you where they are at one day
Old 07-19-2003, 11:35 AM   #15
amy@af
Traffic Directing Admin

Send a message via Skype™ to amy@af
i was faced with the same question you are...which to go with. they have about the same hp so i took these things into consideration....

*most jdm engines are said to have 40,xxx or more miles and have possibly been sitting. a rebuild is recommended. i was able to find my engine with 12,000 out of a '00 EX for $500. no rebuild there.

*the zc requires a laundry list of parts off of different cars for all it's maintance parts. with the z6/ y8 you just go to the parts store and get the specific part

*although most aftermarket parts can be made to fit a zc...the sohc vtec has it's own support in the market

i'm not saying zc is the anti-christ...just giving you my personal reasons for going z6/y8 over zc. it really boils down to personal opinion

..don't make me send Setanta over in his Waambulance to give you an aloe tissue for your sensitive nose!

*~ ~> USeR GUiDELiNeS*<~ ~*

I <3 the G Ride ~*~ I <3 OLD SKooL
amy@af is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee