Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

300zx questions

I am debating buying a 300zx and in my reserch I found that there was very little noticeable difference between the early and late model 300zxs, were there any major changes that I missed and if so what year.
kachok25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: 300zx questions

there were no real big changes between 1990-1996. here is a list of all the minor changes.
http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnetfaq/FA...fferences.html

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

what about the variable valve timing that they discontinued in 96? After bolt on tuning how much of a power difference would I be dealing with there? oh and what year did they start making them with variable valve timing? Was the boost the same in every year model?

Last edited by kachok25; 12-02-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

the variable valve timing was dropped after 1995 due to emissions and OBDII was introduced, making the 1996 Z the hardest (and sometimes more expensive) to upgrade. also, suppposedly the 1996 makes 20hp less than the previous years, but that is debatable. the boost is the same throughout all the years.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:20 AM   #5
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
96 arguably makes the same power as the previous models, just has a much different power band making a tad slower.

VVT was on all 1990-1995 300zx's.

boost was the same throughout the years. the general consensus is to stay away from the 90's. they seem to have a couple of bugs that nissan fixed in 91.

96's really can only modified to a certain degree, not because of VVT but because of the OBDII ECU. i dont think anybody makes an aftermarket ECU for it which limits the 96's power ability by not being able to adjust the fuel maps, timing, and other necessary things to making safe power. you would almost have to run a stand alone system or swap pre-95 heads and ECU in.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

I guess that the 95+ are out of the question, were there any driveline modifacations over the years?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

you really don't have to worry a whole lot about drivetrain stuff on the z32's... the twin turbo transmission has been known to hold absolutely insane hp's completely stock and the rear diff is damn near indestructable... oh and it's just the 96's you have to worry about... the 95 or 94 would be the best thing to get as there's possibly less wear on the car and everythings a few years newer...
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachok25
I am debating buying a 300zx and in my reserch I found that there was very little noticeable difference between the early and late model 300zxs, were there any major changes that I missed and if so what year.
What do you mean by "early" 300ZXs. There are MONUMENTAL differences between truely early and truely late model 300ZXs.

"Early" 300ZX was debuted in 84. This is known as a Z31. The Z31 was produced 84-89.

"Late" 300ZX was debuted in 90. This is known as a Z32. The Z32 was produced 90-96 in the US.

The differences between the Z31 and Z32 are unable to be contained in one post. You WERE referring to the early Z32, weren't you? Not the early 300ZX...

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #9
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

ahhh...i forgot to mention. most people dont know...but there was a driveline change in the run of Z32's.

Nissan redesigned the 5-speed transmission in 97'. same gear ratios but they used newer technology and synchros to make the transmission engage much smoother and it is all around just smoother and more precise. not saying that the earlier models were slouchs or not precise. nissan just took it to the next level.

this is a desired new thing for the true Z32 enthusiast that must have the latest and greatest.

thought you guys might be intrigued by that little fun fact.

it is a general consensus that it is overrated and overpriced unless you have a car with it already. you are better off just to save your money...unless your car is done and you just want to buy something new.

also keep in mind...i DID mean 97'. this was obviously only offered in Japanese Z32's as they stopped production for the US in 96'. but i think if you have a connect you can get the transmission brand new from the factory through a Japanese Nissan Dealer. in which Coz, Z1, mitch, and others do to get theirs...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 300zx questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlivetheZ
What do you mean by "early" 300ZXs. There are MONUMENTAL differences between truely early and truely late model 300ZXs.

"Early" 300ZX was debuted in 84. This is known as a Z31. The Z31 was produced 84-89.

"Late" 300ZX was debuted in 90. This is known as a Z32. The Z32 was produced 90-96 in the US.

The differences between the Z31 and Z32 are unable to be contained in one post. You WERE referring to the early Z32, weren't you? Not the early 300ZX...
My bad I am talking about the 1990+ year models
Old 12-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #11
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ

Got ya.

And yea...the Z32 was produced in Japan until 99.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:12 AM   #12
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

What brands of aftermarket conponents should I be considering for exaust, fuel management, ignition, water injection, innercooler, ECU and possably a turbo swap.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:42 AM   #13
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Exhaust wise is pretty simple, most go with Labree or Borla cat-backs, Labree being sold by www.specialtyz.com.

More exhaust work in the form of downpipes is simple as well, the Specialty Z split downpipes ("super-splits" if you want to be up on the current lingo) are considered the best on the market.

Test pipes are generally about the same, usually bought from whoever you bought the downpipes and cat-back from.

Intercooler is a bit of a debate, but Stillens are generally agreed to be the best as far as side mounts go. They cost a bit more than others and the power differences between any given manufactures isn't that big, it's largely preference.

ECU is a toss up between two suppliers, JimWolf and AshSpec ECUs. Each has their detractors, each has their supporters. The AshSpec is newer and cheaper, but has been accused of being lean and is not available for all models of all years. JimWolf's is better established but costs more. Ashspec offers the Zemulator, whichs allows for the complete tuning of all engine criticals like fuel injection, ignition timing, rpm/speed limiters and VTC release. If you plan on doing alot of tuning on a dyno it is your ultimate tool.

Water injection kits tend not to be tailored to a specific car but Aquamist has a system that works quite well.

Fuel mangement is usually controlled by any of the major brand air/fuel controller manufacturers, Apexi or Blitz. Or if you are getting a full engine management system like the Zemulator it's taken care of by that.

Turbos are where you really get into the big debate. Depending on your desired power levels, any number of turbos will work well. There is no agreed upon "correct" turbo for any given car setup.

What do you plan on doing with this car?

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #14
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_as_****
Exhaust wise is pretty simple, most go with Labree or Borla cat-backs, Labree being sold by www.specialtyz.com.
B&B is becoming a popular choice among tuners, right next to the labree.
Quote:
Intercooler is a bit of a debate, but Stillens are generally agreed to be the best as far as side mounts go. They cost a bit more than others and the power differences between any given manufactures isn't that big, it's largely preference.
Stillen's run right at a $1000. only ones i have seen significantly cheaper (more than a few bucks) is the Z1 intercoolers. but yes, stillen's are considered the best.
Quote:
ECU is a toss up between two suppliers, JimWolf and AshSpec ECUs. Each has their detractors, each has their supporters. The AshSpec is newer and cheaper, but has been accused of being lean and is not available for all models of all years. JimWolf's is better established but costs more. Ashspec offers the Zemulator, whichs allows for the complete tuning of all engine criticals like fuel injection, ignition timing, rpm/speed limiters and VTC release. If you plan on doing alot of tuning on a dyno it is your ultimate tool.
ash is an electronic marvel. i would trust anything he offered. talked to him several times and he is an awesome guy and it purely ingenious when it comes to the Z32.
Quote:
Water injection kits tend not to be tailored to a specific car but Aquamist has a system that works quite well.
Z1 actually offers a kit specified for the Z32 now, if i am not mistaken. http://www.300zx.com
Quote:
Turbos are where you really get into the big debate. Depending on your desired power levels, any number of turbos will work well. There is no agreed upon "correct" turbo for any given car setup.
GT675RS's!

dont forget fuel inejectors and drivetrain...RPS is recommended for good clutch/flywheel upgrades but there are others that willbe just as competent to handle the job.

fuel injectors...the newer style Nismo's or Border kit if your aiming big are the best. do not buy Venom injectors...seems people have nothing but issues with these.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 12-19-2005, 04:44 AM   #15
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

What is the cornering grip on the stock 300ZXs I know it is .90g on the 3000GT and .98g for the Supra, but I cannot find the numbers for the 300zx anywhere, does anybody know?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)