Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
kstrine
AF Newbie

Rattling sound coming from A/C?

Got done with radiator and thermostat R&R this weekend. After getting everything buttoned back up and working good on my 95 Aurora I heard a rattling type noise that seemed to come from the area of the Power steering pump or A/C compressor when I turned on the air conditioner. Sounds like marbles in the can. When I turn the A/C off the noise goes away. I wonder if I need a recharge and oil in the system. Anyone else experience the same type of problem? Any recommendations?
kstrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:38 PM   #2
Marc_Aurora_2001
AF Newbie

That noise you mention might be caused by the compressor or
the clutch going bad.

GM!!! SAVE OLDS!!!
Marc_Aurora_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
kstrine
AF Newbie

Yea, could be compressor but I'm hoping it's not. What clutch? Car is an automatic and there is no fan clutch.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:23 PM   #4
bustedratchet
AF Regular

Re: Rattling sound coming from A/C?

I think he is talking about the A/C clutch.
bustedratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
kstrine
AF Newbie

Thx for the clarification. I wonder if the a/c clutch can be replaced separately from the entire unit. The noise being made almost sounds like bearings. I wonder if the a/c clutch is engaged if that could be the problem.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:43 AM   #6
Indy8
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Rattling sound coming from A/C?

A/C compressors are disposable now, at least Delphi thinks so. You can have the clutch and shaft re-sealed(it's a kit)but don't waste your money. After they tear into it, it won't last another 6 months. Confirm that it's bad, and get estimates from "A/C only" repair shops now before the weather warms up. They're starved for work this time of year and might cut you a deal on new comp, orifice tube(required)and recharge. This is around $600 at the dealer. BTW, be sure whoever does the work is clear on EXACTLY how much oil to put in. It's common for them to be over-filled because the oil is much cheaper than R-134, and this makes the comps grenade.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:57 AM   #7
dsatt12
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Rattling sound coming from A/C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy8
They're starved for work this time of year and might cut you a deal on new comp, orifice tube(required)and recharge. This is around $600 at the dealer.

Damn Indy, I want your dealership to move up here to Iowa. Mine shelled out shortly after I bought my 95 and they wanted over $2000 to do the job. I hit their roof so hard I left a splatter. I felt like I got quite a deal after getting everything done for $1200 at what turned out to be my new regular mechanic. That mechanic LIKES me now, oh yes. He was grumbling about giving me such a low estimate after it took him many hours to do that job though. His shop CD of repair manuals wasn't even close on how to do it- I think they had a series II 3800 like the Riviera as being in the Aurora.

I guess it could all be explained away that this happened in July just as it hit around 100 for a few days. Supply and demand... <sigh>
dsatt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:58 AM   #8
kstrine
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy8
A/C compressors are disposable now, at least Delphi thinks so. You can have the clutch and shaft re-sealed(it's a kit)but don't waste your money. After they tear into it, it won't last another 6 months. Confirm that it's bad, and get estimates from "A/C only" repair shops now before the weather warms up. They're starved for work this time of year and might cut you a deal on new comp, orifice tube(required)and recharge. This is around $600 at the dealer. BTW, be sure whoever does the work is clear on EXACTLY how much oil to put in. It's common for them to be over-filled because the oil is much cheaper than R-134, and this makes the comps grenade.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to make an appt with a A/C shop.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:21 PM   #9
Indy8
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rattling sound coming from A/C?

You're right, that dollar figure is too low. Mine was done under warranty so the actual charges do not appear on my receipt so I'm going by memory. Just the comp was $5__ something and the total was around $850. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:53 PM   #10
mike_rains
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mike_rains
Re: Re: Rattling sound coming from A/C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedratchet
I think he is talking about the A/C clutch.
i bought a used 95 aurora with a bad a/c clutch .i dont want to put a lot of money in it . can i do away with the a/c all together if so can any 1 tell me what size serpentine belt i would need.? please help me !!!!
mike_rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:10 PM   #11
dsatt12
AF Enthusiast

Hmmm, I thought those other posts looked familiar from back in January... You might consider a new thread next time.

It strikes me as a really bad idea just from the point of view that the a/c helps take moisture out of your defroster air so the windows don't fog up when you have the system on defrost. You'll also make the auto temp. control system mighty angry since it won't cool worth a #$%&, so it'll have to be in manual most of the time.

I also don't know where the serpentine belt goes near the compressor. Even if it's physically possible to do away with that pully, methinks it'll make the pulleys to either side slip and squeal something fierce . You'll notice that everything is arranged so that there is something like 180-270 degrees of contact give or take on every pully. Take one out, and the two on either side are going to have a lot less than that. You MIGHT get away with it depending on what's on either side. If there is simply a blank pulley to make a turn and say, the tensioner for example, you're probably in better shape than the crankshaft pulley or the power steering, or the alternator... You get the picture.

Barring all that, if you want to try, I'd suggest figuring it out yourself by running a piece of nylon string through everything. Make sure you get it in the same groove on every pulley, and make sure it's not going to stretch on you as you pull i tight (I think cotton string likely would, hence the nylon). Take your piece of string down to a Napa. They seem to be way more knowledgable and helpful than most parts stores. See if they can cross reference a belt of the right length and # of grooves.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:11 PM   #12
bustedratchet
AF Regular

If the compressor makes noise only when in defrost or A/C. Unplug it.
bustedratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #13
dsatt12
AF Enthusiast

Sheesh, that would be... simple. I dunno why I thought he meant remove it.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:09 AM   #14
SteVB
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_rains
i bought a used 95 aurora with a bad a/c clutch .i dont want to put a lot of money in it . can i do away with the a/c all together if so can any 1 tell me what size serpentine belt i would need.? please help me !!!!
LOL, if you dont wana put much money into it , then you better sell it now, cuz you bought the WRONG CAR!
SteVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:17 AM   #15
SteVB
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrine
Got done with radiator and thermostat R&R this weekend. After getting everything buttoned back up and working good on my 95 Aurora I heard a rattling type noise that seemed to come from the area of the Power steering pump or A/C compressor when I turned on the air conditioner. Sounds like marbles in the can. When I turn the A/C off the noise goes away. I wonder if I need a recharge and oil in the system. Anyone else experience the same type of problem? Any recommendations?

NOT SO FAST!! if you just replaced the radiator, look at the top hose & make sure it`s not rubbing the a/c cooling fan by the radiator. you may not have put the top rad. hose back in that little strap that holds it up under the top radiator cover plate. this is what i forgot to do after replacing my radiator.so that noise might be that conduit cover on your radiator hose hitting one of you cooling fans(the one for the a/c).it`s worth a look, so check it & i HOPE this is the case.
Steve~
SteVB is offline   Reply With Quote