Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
carbmustang302
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to carbmustang302 Send a message via Yahoo to carbmustang302
Ford 427 SOHC VS the 426 Hemi

Well I was reading the tread on the hemi vs the 454 chev, and everyone was saying the 427 sohc fomoco was not a production motor or option in a production vehilcle, heres a link

http://www.me.mtu.edu/~prater/galaxie.html

to prove that it was a factory produced motor and better yet that it was reliable and therefore would stomp on the NOT SO MIGHTY HEMI, the hemi was a powerfull motor but had nowhere the equivilant power to the 427 sohc which was fomoco rated at 616hp@7500rpm with a single 4 barrel carb and 658hp@7500rpm with 2 4 barrel carbs, and the so called elephant hemi produced a whopping 425hp and 450ft lbs tq, heres a link

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/dyno-test.html

http://www.426-hemi.com/hemi/info/tech/426/specs.htm

So if you still want to debate that ford was not upto the challenge of racing engines back then and in the present, I am just a post away

This is just my opinion on the debate, and I`m sure evryone has there own opinion, but I am just stating the obvious and if you don`t understand that, then no more needs to be said.

By the way I am in know way bashing Mopar or Chev I am just tired of fords name always getting bashed when they have produced so great engines and vehicles just as mopar and chev have.

I apologize for making it sound like I was bashing, I was just venting and got carried away with my typing, just tired of people bashing ford.

Last edited by carbmustang302; 01-15-2004 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Re: Ford 427 SOHC VS the 426 Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbmustang302
your to use to driving a moparslowcar or a lowpower bowtie ....

By the way I am in know way bashing Mopar or Chev I am just tired of fords name always getting bashed when they have produced so great engines and vehicles just as mopar and chev have.

hmm...that looks like bashing to me...so future posts please keep it more proper

also do please use the edit button to avoid double posting

Have a nice day and thank you for posting with AF.

The management

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 01-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #3
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Let me say right off that I am not bashing Ford. The Cammer was a good idea. However, that link does not say what years the Galaxie was produced with the Cammer. This leads me to believe that the engine was simply a dealer option meaning that you could order the car with that engine but it wouldn't come from the factory with one. The Cammer was NOT a production engine and if it was why would they only put it in a Galaxie? Like I said before, the Cammer was also not reliable. You know, they did make a DOHC Hemi that made over 900HP? It was a one off deal and the engine wasn't at all reliable. Overhead Cam technology was just too new for high power applications back then to be reliable. Also, the 426 Hemi runs a single 4-barrel carburetor and it is putting out well over the factory rated horsepower. They lied to keep insurance rates down, so give me a break, Ford and Chevy did it as well. If the Cammer was so much better and still reliable, why is the Hemi the only engine used in Top Fuel drag racing?

No question, I would take a Hemi any day over a Cammer. The Hemi, IMO, is better in every way.

On a side note, you were bashing Chrysler and Chevy, don’t try to make it seem like you weren’t. That is like me calling a Ford a fucked over rebuilt Dodge and saying I was giving Ford a compliment.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
carbmustang302
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to carbmustang302 Send a message via Yahoo to carbmustang302
Well if you did as much reasearch as mouthing off you would go into the site link above and see they did put the 427 sohc in cars like the mustang, cougar, galaxie, ect.. heres just one link.

http://www.me.mtu.edu/~prater/cammer.html

And as for ford being a rebuilt dodge, dodge could only wish to be half
as reliable and powerful as a ford, take a 50s and 60`s ford, they would start when a dog pi**ed on its wheel or a rain cloud was in the sky, try that with your mighty mopar

So until you do some research and open your eyes, dont knock what you don`t know about, I have driven in several hemi cudas\challengers and 427 sohc FACTORY installed galaxie as well as a 427 sohc mustang, all cars with 4 gears, and there is no comparo, the ford would walk all over the hemi in a race anyday of the week.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #5
Polygon
The Red Baron

Good hell!

1. Screw you! I was not mouthing off. I was simply making a comparison with my opinion and some facts, the same damn thing you're guilty of with your first post. If anyone has been mouthing off here it has been you. If you don't want to hear contrasting opinions then I suggest you sign your ass off the Internet and never come back.

2. I never called a Ford a fucked over rebuilt Dodge. I used that statement to make a point. Why don't you go back and read my entire post instead of picking things out and reading only what you want to read.

3. The engine was NOT production. Ford will even tell you this. You could special order it to come in a car from the factory, but it was NOT a production engine. You could not get it in a car without ordering one with it. That is NOT production and that is why they couldn't use it in NASCAR as well as the reliability issues.

4. I never said the Hemi was more powerful. In fact the 426 Hemi is in the mid 500HP range, about 100HP less than the Cammer. You need to realize that it is a pushrod engine. Make it a SOHC and watch the power go way up.

The Cammer might have been a more powerful engine, but it was not a production engine, but you could get it special ordered from the factory. You need to learn the difference. Like I said before, if it is so much better, why was it not used in NASCAR or Top Fuel? I'll tell you why, it wasn't reliable and it wasn’t a production engine.

Also, keep in mind that this is a discussion forum and other people are allowed to have their own opinion without being insulted. So stop being ignorant and chill out.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:18 PM   #6
carbmustang302
AF Newbie

You would need to be the one who needs to chill out, and yes everyone is entitled to there own opinion, and my posts are my opinion, and being the cammers could be ordered from the dealership and were factory installed they are a PRODUCTION engine and did come with factory warrenty.

The reason nascar would not let them run was, 1. they had to much power and it was before they did alot with restrictor plates, 2. they`re technology was to far advanced and deemed unfair to the other auto makers.

As for reliabilitly issues, tell me one automaker who dont have a service center, they all breakdown they all have bugs, and no one company is in actuality better than another...

But if you want to make it fair, compair the 427 pushrod production motor to the 426 hemi, oh and wait the results are in, it still has more power than ur infamous hemi

This is a little FYI from a website

Though Ford sold the required number of units to homologate the design, the Cammer was prevented from running against the Chrysler hemi at Daytona in 1965 due to NASCAR rule changes. Many Cammers found their way into Mustangs running A/FX Factory Experimental drag racing.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
syr74
AF Regular

Okay, I knew the 427 SOHC versus 426 Hemi debate was coming. I also knew it was going to degrade into a pissing contest faster than either engine could hope to accelerate a go-kart to 60mph.

Okay, as for the Cammer being a "production" engine or not. Ford built more than enough cammers and offered them for sale that the engine can be rightly called a "production" engine. HOWEVER, and I think this is likely Polygon's point, many folks argue that the engine was never a "regular production" option in any Ford except for the 64-1/2 Galaxie. (Yes, that's right, not the 65 and 66, but very late in 64-1/2) And, I cannot comment on how many 64-1/2 Galaxies were built with this option, or even if any actually were. (BTW, take a picture. This may be only time that you see me pointing out that one of Polygon's posts has some merit.)

And no, I don't care to look into it any further to try and find out. I would have to guess this option was deleted pretty quickly when NASCAR gave Ford the big "nope" for an answer as to the Cammer's eligibility for NASCAR racing. To my knowledge this car is in the same category as the 67 X-code Mustangs and the Shelby Cobra Dragonsnake Stage III. You could conceivably get one, but nobody has ever produced an example proving that a car was ever actually built. If by chance you know somebody with a factory-line installed 427 SOHC 64-1/2 Galaxie might I advise early retirement for your buddy.

And, as for that NASCAR issue. Production numbers had nothing to do with the Cammer's ineligbility for NASCAR. Ford was more than happy to produce the required number of Cammers for NASCAR racing eligibility. But, NASCAR said "You can't race that" so there was no point in Ford building a lot more of it. Pretty simple.

Generally speaking, Holman and Moody installed 427 SOHC engines in the 65 and 66 Galaxies are "factory" or "production" engines. Since, by that time, Holman and Moody was basically just Ford's racing arm and you could indeed "order" the car that way. H&M then installed the motor before the car ever saw a dealership lot. (This really isn't much different than how ASC modifies Ram Air T/A's. And, if those cars aren't production then neither are the 4th gen Ram Air f-bodies.)

However, as I mentioned earlier a lot of people will argue with you about "regular production" versus just "production" and this is the case with these cars. My personal opinion, who cares. It is really all just splitting hairs.

Ford also did the above mentioned with some 427 SOHC Falcon factory race cars. However, the Falcon's were race cars just like the Super Stock Dodge Darts, and were never really intended for street use.

As I have said before in other threads, the 427 SOHC left drag racing when rules prohibited that engine from competing plain and simple. Some racers felt it was reliable, some did not. The engine was indeed successful during it's drag racing tour of duty, as was it's OHV cousin. The SOHC Ford was also the first engine to break the 200mph barrier through the 1/4 in a rail.

Chrysler's prototype DOHC Hemi engine has, at times, been rumoured to have made 800-900hp. But, nothing has ever been leaked from Dodge then or now that in any way shape or form proves this. We now know that the 427SOHC is generally in the 650hp (as it was then rated) neighborhood by todays standards. That means it was about 100hp or more under-rated by that days standards which wouldn't make the 800hp claims on the Hemi too outrageous. And, as the DOHC Mopar was strictly a prototype, there is no telling how close to a "production" engine those specs were. In the same range as the 427SOHC would have been a safe bet IMO.

The DOHC's of the Mopar offered no real advantage as they still only actuated two valves per cylinder. Having a seperate camshaft for intake and exhaust does offer improved cam specs. But, the offset in reciprocating valvetrain mass takes away that advantage. DOHC's need 4+ valves to offer a real advantage over SOHC's.

The SOHC engine was certainly a much rarer piece than the Hemi Mopar, and the Mopar is likely more "fairly" compared in the area of power to the 427 medium and high riser, 428CJ/SCJ, and 429CJ/SCJ Fords. I personally feel that the 427, 428, and 429's all did quite nicely on the street back in the day, and compare to the Hemi just fine. And, every engine mentioned did very well indeed on the track in one form or another.

Just as Polygon feels that the Hemi was superior to the Ford in every way. I, personally, believe that the 427 Ford's in SOHC and OHV were better than the Hemi. I am sure as hell no Mopar guy, and no big Chrysler Hemi fan either. But, to come in here bashing with no provocation whatsoever is just asking for trouble. At least wait until provoked....lol

Let the pissing contest resume.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:28 PM   #8
Polygon
The Red Baron

Yes take a picture, because I never thought I'd be posting this syr74. I read your entire post and I want to thank you for actually reading mine and understanding my point. I agree with your post fully and would also like to thank you for being civil about it.

I want to say that I was never trying to bash the Cammer. Everybody that has been here long enough knows that I am a Mopar fan and I love the Hemi. I think that the Cammer is one of the better engines built, I just feel the Hemi was better. The Cammer was a better performer and I only wish that there was a SOHC Hemi to compare with. I just heard from guys that drag raced them that they loved the Cammer but used the Hemi because it was more reliable. It is just a matter of preference.

Like I said. I wasn't trying to start a pissing contest but you're being too damned defensive carbmustang302. You’re attacking me simply because I have a contrasting opinion. I think you're ignorant and that you need to wise up. Syr74, while I don't always agree with him, makes his point and makes it well with information to back it. He also is civil about his posts and actually reads their entire post and understands what they are trying to say. Learn from his example.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:55 PM   #9
carbmustang302
AF Newbie

Well I can see that I cant get my point across, so I will stop trying, The 427 was an option for many ford from 64-67 and was put in many cars but know one seems to agnolage that.

I was not trying to be ignorant or bios towards anyone, so if you took offense to my opinion, sorry for the mistake.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:49 PM   #10
syr74
AF Regular

Quote:
Well I can see that I cant get my point across, so I will stop trying, The 427 was an option for many ford from 64-67 and was put in many cars but know one seems to agnolage that.

I was not trying to be ignorant or bios towards anyone, so if you took offense to my opinion, sorry for the mistake.
Hey man, I think I understood what you were trying to say just fine. You were in the comparisons forum standing up for your favorite brand, FoMoCO, a position I find myself in from time to time. I was just trying to help you find a better way to say it.

I gave you some info on the Cammer that you may or may not have known. The reason I posted those facts is because not many people know them and generally I like to think this forum can from time to time help people learn a little bit. If you noticed, I even pointed out that the 64-1/2 Galaxie technically offered the Cammer as a factory option, and that the 65-66 Galaxie's offered it as well.

Although, people argue from time to time wether the 65-66 was a "regular production" offering as Ford had a Ford racing garage shoehorn the thing in there. I believe I made my position that I consider it a "production" option fairly obvious. But, I also pointed out why some disagree (including Polygon). You could have ordered a full size Mercury this way as well, but I did not mention it because I have never heard of one being done.

There are a LOT of different definations as to just what makes a car a "production" car. And, there are a lot of little sub categories (production, regular production) to debate over as well. Every now and again somebody is going to take you to task on something, debate with knowledge as much as possible. Flaming just limits the number of people you can "acquire" knowledge from. Dont get me wrong, you WILL be in your fair share of unfriendly arguments. And that is kind of my point, don't go out of your way to piss off the "other guys" as this happens often enough on its own.

Other than those previously mentioned Galaxies, and a few Falcons that were Ford's answer to the Super Stock Dodges, the Cammer ended up in nothing by Ford's hand to my knowledge. (Full blown race cars like AFX Mustangs not included in that statement) The main reason for that is simple, it just wouldn't fit in any of Ford's midsize cars without some major hacking. The thing was way too wide.

The Cammer was never an option on anything but a fullsize car, and damn few of them ever saw the streets period. I have little problem with this, as good things often are very rare.

Don't get worked up over things in here, it just ain't worth the stress. And, you aren't the only one in here willing to defend the blue oval. I just believe peaceful negotiations are preferable to full blown war...lol. Stick around, go easy on other folks, you may learn a lot of things you didn't know.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:09 PM   #11
carbmustang302
AF Newbie

Thanks syr74, for the info and not taking sides, the galaxie I was reffering to riding in I believed to be a factory installed, but I wasnt born then, so I didnt see where it was put in, so I can not say it was or wasn`t the guy was told it was but we all know how people will say anything to sell a vehicle, as for the heated discussions about everything and anything, I hear ya I belong to many automotive forums, and I know what you mean, I am not trying to step on anyones feet, just dont like people bashing the blue oval.....
Old 01-15-2004, 08:43 PM   #12
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Thanks syr74, for the info and not taking sides, the galaxie I was reffering to riding in I believed to be a factory installed, but I wasnt born then, so I didnt see where it was put in, so I can not say it was or wasn`t the guy was told it was but we all know how people will say anything to sell a vehicle, as for the heated discussions about everything and anything, I hear ya I belong to many automotive forums, and I know what you mean, I am not trying to step on anyones feet, just dont like people bashing the blue oval.....
you think ford its getting bashed....just hang around to see the dodge coments...they are far worse...especially the srt4

(\__/)
Old 01-16-2004, 02:01 AM   #13
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
Re: Re: Ford 427 SOHC VS the 426 Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino
you think ford its getting bashed....just hang around to see the dodge coments...they are far worse...especially the srt4

Like I'm gonna cry for the SRT4. They are just gettin a small taste of the shit Mustang owners have put up with for years.

Old 01-16-2004, 02:07 AM   #14
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Re: Re: Re: Ford 427 SOHC VS the 426 Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStang
Like I'm gonna cry for the SRT4. They are just gettin a small taste of the shit Mustang owners have put up with for years.

well i was talking about AF..dodge seems to be far more bashed around here than ford..at least from what i can see...i might be wrong

(\__/)
Old 01-16-2004, 10:46 AM   #15
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
I was talking about on AF. Dodge does get bashed unfairly at times but it doesn't compare to how many Mustang suck, Ford sucks, etc.., I see on here by idiots. And I'm talking about random noobs not good standing members who are respectful of all cars.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons