Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Sketching and Drawing
Sketching and Drawing Sketchers and drawers in the house?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:59 PM   #16
WhiteBlur
AF Regular

so, how much progress have you made so far asaenz because I can't wait to see the fully done drawing
Old 05-13-2003, 11:09 PM   #17
asaenz
Sketch Guy

Well you are not going to believe this but I spilt grape juice on it.....
Just joking.

Ok the car is being converted from a color rendering to a full blown graphite sketch. This will also become a shading tutorial when it is all said and done. I hope to have a good portion of it done tomorow.
I am trying to make this car look like a black and white photo.

Tomorrow I will post a progress pic around 5-6 pm EST. It will not be the tutorial. I will post another thread for that when I am finished.

I plan on spending 5-6 hours on it Wednesday.

al
Old 05-14-2003, 07:32 PM   #18
asaenz
Sketch Guy

Little progress today

Didn't get as much as I wanted done.....oh well.
I figured out today that my trusty 2B mechanical pencil is not good enough for shading wide areas....I need to fix the windscreen and interior tomorrow. I am buying some graphite pencils to help with that from the art store tomorrow. The 2B mechan pen. is excellent for detail and making lines sharp like around the weather-strip

Old 05-14-2003, 09:23 PM   #19
D4rKB3aT
AF Newbie

WOW.. i think that's great.. what's the number of graphite pencils u'll gonna buy?

I work with HB, 2B and 4B..
Old 05-14-2003, 10:38 PM   #20
WhiteBlur
AF Regular

once again asaenz YOU DA MAN/MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whenever I see your pics it makes me wish I could do that and also they are phenomenal
WhiteBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 11:06 PM   #21
ChopinPorkChop
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to ChopinPorkChop Send a message via AIM to ChopinPorkChop Send a message via Yahoo to ChopinPorkChop

master i will give up my life, my soul, my all to come with you under your wing.. pls master for one day there will have to be a new you to hit the world with unexpectables.... outstanding... GOD I HATE YOU! lol

My Msn: Joffgreat@hotmail.com
ChopinPorkChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 06:46 AM   #22
asaenz
Sketch Guy

Thank you for the compliments everyone

Quote:
WOW.. i think that's great.. what's the number of graphite pencils u'll gonna buy? I work with HB, 2B and 4B..

The roof and window where done only with my mechanic pencil loaded with 2B lead....I have a set of wood pencils ranges H-9B...I want to get 9H-2H (very light pncls)....I should try using my wood ones and see how they do. The ranges everyone are 9H (very lht) to 9B (very drk) with 18 shades in the middle.....I wouldn't think everyone needs all the shades (degrees)....But I don't think the pencils are that expensive.

The outside of the pencil case lid will look similar to the following pic.

I also use paper stumps and tortillions (cheap) and my kneadable eraser. All the steps will be in my tutorial that I will make on the car

The main idea is to lay down a even amount of lead across the area needing shading and then smear it with the tortillions/stumps. I mean you need to keep your strokes tight so there is no uneveness and then smear.....I like the tortillion better...the are tightly wound paper....stumps are solid....I use sandpaper to sand the torts/stumps when they get dirty....you don't need rough paper I use 400 grit....also another major point is your degrees of graphite....what I mean is your range of what is going to be the darkest color vs. lightest usually white (reserved for the lightest reflections usually caused by the sun on the metal edges of the car) in all actuallity there may be no "pure white" in the rendering....but you need to est. your range....So I did the black ruber weather strip first on the far side of the car then compared it to the darkness of the wheel wells and said to my self that will represent black and every thing else will need to be lighter....compare degress in your reference with degress in your drawing....

I better stop this is turning into a tutorial....I will make a tutoral as best I can with all the ideas going through my mind.....ok I will edit some

al
Old 05-15-2003, 07:11 AM   #23
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Little progress today

Quote:
Originally posted by asaenz
Didn't get as much as I wanted done.....oh well.
I figured out today that my trusty 2B mechanical pencil is not good enough for shading wide areas....I need to fix the windscreen and interior tomorrow. I am buying some graphite pencils to help with that from the art store tomorrow. The 2B mechan pen. is excellent for detail and making lines sharp like around the weather-strip

I have now decided to hate you :finger: your drawing are good. How do you make those white reflection lines so small and sharp? When I do mine I have a big white strip.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:37 AM   #24
asaenz
Sketch Guy

Quote:
I have now decided to hate you your drawing are good. How do you make those white reflection lines so small and sharp? When I do mine I have a big white strip.
Have you ever done painting by numbers or color by numbers?

You will notice on the painting kits, that every shade of color has a line around it that shows when you 'stop' with one color and start with another. That is basically how I do it. I lightly draw line, in this instance really close driver side window shield stripping (the near white glare on the sheet metal)...that serves as my guide to stop shading in and don't go any further....also take your knead eraser and flatten a portion like a pancake to where at one angle it is sharp and the other angle it is wide....use the sharp side and remove lead off the drawing to form your highlights.....this will be in my tut....when...I get done.

Go into at art store and look at the color by number kits you will see what I am talking about.

Remember when laying down guide lines (so you know when to stop shading) do those guides very lightly. Some times you can lay a light shade of graphite and then remove graphite with the kneaderaser to create the highlights...if you remove too much lead on a part you didn't want to you go back with your pencil and darken it again.

Remember again: start out light even with your shading then progress to dark when appropriate...always lay down evenly....keep strokes close so no white (paper) show through when it is not suppose to....also do this on smooth paper.....you can add a couple of sheets of paper under your work to soften your shading....Mike you might want to read the entire Hammond book.....I know I make it seems simple...It takes time and practice.....To practice I recommend getting a car coloring book cut the page out and place with tape on a glass window and trace cars (printer paper is good for this) and then practice your shading....If you want to practice shading only don't waste your time doing grid drawings they take too long...You may also trace cars from a magazine with tracing paper...turn the tracing paper over lay down a shade of graphite flip the paper back over and place it on your real paper and go over your traced lines and you will have a print of the car.....do several of these and practice your shading....

I hope all this helps everyone....Most of all it takes dedication and time.

Hammond's book is the best I think on this whole shading bit.

PS...I think I might really write a book on drawing cars with graphite and really really cover everthing you need to know....I like graphite for three reasons the supplies are cheap so it is easy for people to get started...lead is so forgiving when you make mistakes and plus the medium is good for beginners to advance.

Another thing about graphite and making your works look like black and white photos....it allows for conversion to color paints more easier when you are ready to make the plunge into that....

al
Old 05-15-2003, 10:24 AM   #25
ChopinPorkChop
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to ChopinPorkChop Send a message via AIM to ChopinPorkChop Send a message via Yahoo to ChopinPorkChop
im so veryconfused, cant wait for your tut on shading, it would be great if you came out with a book... *adds another book to the list of shit to get*

Old 05-15-2003, 12:13 PM   #26
asaenz
Sketch Guy

Nah you get my book and you won't need any other books.....hee hee

al

I hope to make my shading tut. very clear....warning it might be long.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:36 PM   #27
profisher
AF Newbie

wow u r like a drawing god

u should try to do more of that

GREAT WORK!!!
profisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 12:54 PM   #28
ridin_on_rails
AF Enthusiast

Man that is lookin' outstanding. I wish I could sit still long enough to do that. I tend to get the car outline done...start shading, then I unfortunally get bored. I've got to start brushing up on my drawing skills again

ridin_on_rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:00 PM   #29
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Quote:
Originally posted by asaenz
Nah you get my book and you won't need any other books.....hee hee

al

I hope to make my shading tut. very clear....warning it might be long.
And I get a free copy right?

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 03:13 PM   #30
ChopinPorkChop
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by GTmike400

And I get a free copy right?
ditto