Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
nxm10
AF Newbie

2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem and possible fuel problem??

I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with a 3.3 V-6 with approximately 196,000 miles. About 2 days after replacing the crank position sensor the vehicle died as I was backing out of my driveway, so i put it in neutral and it started it back up. It was fine for a few days and now it seems to be getting worse. It now stalls at red lights,stop signs, and when rolling slowly like in a parking lot but it always starts right back up. I recently replaced the Plugs,Coil pack, Crank position sensor,Battery,Alternator,Fixed a few vaccum leaks,Put a can of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, Cleaned out the throttle body with throttle bottle cleaner, And put in a IAC (Idle Air Controller) from a parts van in. It's not throwing any codes and when it stals out it gives no warning it will be running great and then bam stalls out . Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Ok now for the new problem it started two days ago on top of the stalling problem.. Now sometimes after you restart it after it stalls it barely runs, When you push the accelerator it does not rev up or move at all if you turn it back off on start it back up a few times it will run fine until it stalls the next time that is.

P.S the van is also EGR Delete
Thanks

Last edited by nxm10; 06-11-2011 at 01:20 AM. Reason: New problem
nxm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
autotech234
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan intermittent stalling problem

Normaly a good thottle body cleaning and or an iac would fix it. Maybe try cleaning it again then disconnecting battery or clearing computer with scanner. This relean the base idle.
autotech234 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autotech234 For This Useful Post:
nxm10 (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
nxm10
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech234 View Post
Normaly a good thottle body cleaning and or an iac would fix it. Maybe try cleaning it again then disconnecting battery or clearing computer with scanner. This relean the base idle.
Thanks for the advice i'll try cleaning the throttle body out again. But theres no codes (Check Engine Lights) being thrown off to clear from the computer and im not sure what you meant by This relean the base idle.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
autotech234
AF Newbie

Base idle will relearn all by its self but only after the computer has been cleared or the batter has been disconnected. You can still clear computer with scanner even if there are no codes. I usly use carb clean and a touth brush to clean thottle body. Hold thottol plate all the way open when doing this
autotech234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
nxm10
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech234 View Post
Base idle will relearn all by its self but only after the computer has been cleared or the batter has been disconnected. You can still clear computer with scanner even if there are no codes. I usly use carb clean and a touth brush to clean thottle body. Hold thottol plate all the way open when doing this
Ok thanks I'll give it a try. Is it better to clean the tb with the van running or off, warmed up or cold?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
nxm10
AF Newbie

Ok new problem started two days ago on top of the stalling problem.. Now sometimes after you restart it after it stalls it barely runs, When you push the accelerator it does not rev up or move at all if you turn it back off on start it back up a few times it will run fine until it stalls the next time that is.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxm10 View Post
Ok new problem started two days ago on top of the stalling problem.. Now sometimes after you restart it after it stalls it barely runs, When you push the accelerator it does not rev up or move at all if you turn it back off on start it back up a few times it will run fine until it stalls the next time that is.
Have you cleaned the IAC and throttle body like suggested before and have you disconnected battery for a few minutes so the computer is reset??
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
nxm10
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempfixit View Post
Have you cleaned the IAC and throttle body like suggested before and have you disconnected battery for a few minutes so the computer is reset??

Thanks for the reply tempfixit, Yea i disconnected the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer. No i haven't had time to take the throttle body and iac apart to clean it yet. I also noticed today that 9 times out of 10 that the stalling occurs just as the cooling fans kick on.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
nxm10
AF Newbie

So i disconnected the battery today for about 10 minutes cleaned out the throttle body and IAC still no change.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Have you checked the camshaft sensor? check the coils for any cracks. Also check you TPS as they are a wear part.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
nxm10
AF Newbie

Quote:
Have you checked the camshaft sensor? check the coils for any cracks. Also check you TPS as they are a wear part.
Thanks for replying once again,

I've replaced the coil pack,Crank position sensor And theTPS Haven't got to the cam position sensor yet. After i replaced the Crank position sensor is when the stalling problems started. Is there a wrong way to install The crank position sensor? I have read other post on this forum that theres supposed to be a spacer on the tip of the Crank position sensor. I know there wasin't one on there when i bought it.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Yes the crankshaft sensor should have a paper spacer on it for proper setting. Here is a pic:

If you did not see a paper spacer on t may very well be out of adjustment, if that is the case I am suprised that it runs at all. You don't have a knock do you, if so I would consider checking the flexplate to make sure it is not cracked and throwing the timing off.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
RIP
AF -Advisor

Pull the crank sensor, inspect the tip. If it's damaged replace it. If it's not bottom it out in the hole, pull it back a shade and tighten. You may have to do this a few times.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
nxm10
AF Newbie

Quote:
Yes the crankshaft sensor should have a paper spacer on it for proper setting. Here is a pic:

If you did not see a paper spacer on t may very well be out of adjustment, if that is the case I am suprised that it runs at all. You don't have a knock do you, if so I would consider checking the flexplate to make sure it is not cracked and throwing the timing off.
Thanks for the reply tempfixit,
No theres no knock at all. And im positive there wasn't a spacer on the tip so i went back to autozone today and asked them about it they said no and they don't come with one on them. But they do sell them seperately but the suppler didn't have any in stock and did not know if they would get any more in. O'reillys said they didn't know what i was talking about they never heard of any spacer. So im gonna get a spacer on the sensor and post results, Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again,

Last edited by nxm10; 06-14-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: ..
Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
nxm10
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP View Post
Pull the crank sensor, inspect the tip. If it's damaged replace it. If it's not bottom it out in the hole, pull it back a shade and tighten. You may have to do this a few times.
Thanks for the reply RIP,

I'll pull the sensor and inspect it, And If it's not damaged im just gonna get the spacer for it. Because i was told at autozone they don't come with one but they do sell them seperately for $4 and wasn't told that when i bought it. Because theres no way to adjust the type of crank position sensor that's in my van here is a picture of the one for my van http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=361873_0_0_
So im gonna put the spacer on the sensor and post the results sometime this week.

Thanks again,