Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Mazda MX-5s

Hi All,

Some of you may know that the Mazda MX-5 / Miata / Eunos Roadster just celebrated it's 25th birthday and that the new model, the ND, is about to be released. With this in mind I thought it timely that I start building some of my MX-5 collection. So the first question was; where to start?

I decided to start with bog-stock versions of NA, NB and NC (Mk 1, 2, and 3), each in the same colour. I finally decided on a solid red and picked Tamiya's TS-49 Bright Red. Not sure if this was the ideal choice but I preferred it over the TS-8 Italian Red, which I find too dark.

Anyway, a Tamiya "Eunos Roadster" (NA), an Aoshima "Roadster RS" (NB) and Fujimi "Roadster"(NC) have been started. All bodies have been painted (photos to follow) and the NA has progressed a bit further.

I will try to update this thread as I work through the kits over the coming months. Already have a few ideas:
  • Garage Vary kit as trackday car with 787B inspired livery
  • C1 models Garage Vary transkit for an NA
  • 13B resin motor???
  • Jota NC

Here is the NA awaiting finishing of body:

potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
fafnir
AF Regular

Re: Mazda MX-5s

Nice work so far!,i built the Aoshima version nb?,mine had both left and right hand dashboards,i had a wip on this forum,but for some reason I couldn't post pics of the finished kit.
fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:47 AM   #3
potsie
AF Enthusiast

A couple of photos of the bodies. From left to right the NA then NB then NC.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Nice collection, I would build one of them with a 13B motor. I'm interested in the Vary kit being built. Your progress looks super clean. Good luck with the builds.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
OWhite3
AF Regular

Watch the fit on the NC. Maybe it was me, but there is some type of interference that can cause front of body to sit up
OWhite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:20 AM   #6
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWhite3 View Post
Watch the fit on the NC. Maybe it was me, but there is some type of interference that can cause front of body to sit up
Thanks for the tip. I am currently battling the NA. The body was warped when I got it, especially the hoop around the windscreen. Was hoping that installing the screen would hold it straight but it keeps breaking the glue. Currently being held by clips for extended glue drying time, but worried the paint might get marked. Already lost one wing-mirror!!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #7
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

Cool project!
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Great work so far! & Great Project!!

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
potsie
AF Enthusiast

So the NA is mostly done. Had some problems with the windscreen as the body was warped; and the screen roll-over hoop was the worst. I had the resort to strong CA glue to get the windscreen to stay glued. Thankfully not too much damage to the paintwork. So I still have to fix the paint, and I am printing a sheet of decal numberplates that include a couple for the NA. I will do a proper photoshoot for the Completed section once the NB and NC are done as well.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
fafnir
AF Regular

Any updates on these builds?
fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafnir View Post
Any updates on these builds?
I will post some updates over the weekend. Progress was slowed by buying another 1:1 MX-5; so much for building in scale to save money!!

I hope to finish the NB over the weekend. The chassis is done, the interior is is done except for instrument decal, so I just need to finish detailing the body. But as we are picking up the new 5 tomorrow....
Old 08-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Looking forward to seeing more! A new MX5? Pictures?? I soon will drive an ND, I really like the 2.0 liter Club model, but won't buy one until it has depreciated considerably!

Here are some recent photos of my NC, it looks close to stock but has had suspension/exhaust/tune and newer NC2 wheels:

I saw the Google Maps car in late winter...and a few months later, there I am :

Here's my car next to "Blackone" TDR Jay's turbo beast NC; he had just done an ECU tune on my car in the parking garage. Seriously great upgrade.

Here are a couple from last month's Miatas At The Gap, slaying the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee:

Old 08-15-2015, 01:36 AM   #13
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Your red NC looks very nice. I like the combo of the earlier NC front end with the later wheels.

"I soon will drive an ND, I really like the 2.0 liter Club model, but won't buy one until it has depreciated considerably!"

The ND has only been released in 1.5L here in Aus for the moment. The 2.0L is promised "before the end of the year" but not sure. Haven't had the chance to pour over one yet, but our NSW club is having a 25th Anniversary day soon and a local dealer is bringing some - plus of course the ones already bought by members!

We picked up our "new" NB today. It is one of the SE's (Mazdaspeed in the US), 1.8L turbo, with a few nice mods by a previous owner. Pictures to follow when it stops raining!!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsie View Post
Your red NC looks very nice. I like the combo of the earlier NC front end with the later wheels.

"I soon will drive an ND, I really like the 2.0 liter Club model, but won't buy one until it has depreciated considerably!"

The ND has only been released in 1.5L here in Aus for the moment. The 2.0L is promised "before the end of the year" but not sure. Haven't had the chance to pour over one yet, but our NSW club is having a 25th Anniversary day soon and a local dealer is bringing some - plus of course the ones already bought by members!

We picked up our "new" NB today. It is one of the SE's (Mazdaspeed in the US), 1.8L turbo, with a few nice mods by a previous owner. Pictures to follow when it stops raining!!
Nice! What color? My favorite is Lava Orange. I was almost ready to buy a Mazdaspeed when I realized they didn't come with cruise control...and I loved the NC when I first drove one. Hated them when new, combo of idiotic ride height and the front styling...I warmed to it over the years, and it's easy to get the ride height fixed w/better springs and Konis (or more expensive coilovers).

We only get the 2.0 engine in the ND, really wish they offered the 2.5! I'll probably sit in one tomorrow, a local Mazda dealer is having a Miata meet in the morning and they have 2 ND's, one a basic Sport. I don't think there will be any test drives, plus they are both automatic.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #15
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5 View Post
Nice! What color? My favorite is Lava Orange. I was almost ready to buy a Mazdaspeed when I realized they didn't come with cruise control...and I loved the NC when I first drove one. Hated them when new, combo of idiotic ride height and the front styling...I warmed to it over the years, and it's easy to get the ride height fixed w/better springs and Konis (or more expensive coilovers).

We only get the 2.0 engine in the ND, really wish they offered the 2.5! I'll probably sit in one tomorrow, a local Mazda dealer is having a Miata meet in the morning and they have 2 ND's, one a basic Sport. I don't think there will be any test drives, plus they are both automatic.
Our new girl is Sunlight Silver. Unfortunately we did not get Lava Orange here in Aus; safe to say that is the colour we covet the most!! Yeah the ride height of the MX-5s certainly is a touch high. It is interesting to compare our new SE/Mazdaspeed on its stock Bilsteins with our other NB that is running YellowSpeed coilovers with a decent drop. Having said that, the ride on the Bilsteins is a lot smoother!

Well, no work on the models as planned - the new SE took all the weekend. What a surprise!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street