Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
alleny87
AF Newbie

08 Impala 3.5L Trans Leak (First thread Dissapeared)

OK i got a 2008 Impala S 3.5L Flex Fuel and it just started leaking trans fluid from these two tubes that come from the front of the trans and turn up into it right in front of the trans pan, it also started kicking into gear when it warms up especially when moving from a stop. Does anybody know what these tubes are, have not had time to trace the lines, but noticed them wet after quick inspection under car, they ave what looks like a black rubber or hard plastic boot/grommet where they connect into. I'm fairly confident i can do the work my self but i don't have any idea of what the part to order would be called

Trans Service is up to date, done about 4 months ago, was expecting another service soon, but wasn't anticipating the leak, i believe they are the cooler lines, if so anybody know how much fluid i will loose

Thanks for any help

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0429.jpg (304.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0427.jpg (272.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0428.jpg (305.9 KB, 7 views)
alleny87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 08 Impala 3.5L Trans Leak (First thread Dissapeared)

Those are your transmission cooling lines....they come out of the tranny and to the heat exchanger in your radiator.....

Older trannies had a nut coupling......the nut stayed on the line and you screwed it into the tranny to seal the line......the newer ones use quick connects......these just use a clip to hold the line in place......there is a round plastic covering to keep dirt out of the joint....all you do is rotate and pull and it slide down the tube....once that is off, give the line a good tug.....if it comes off, the line was not completely seated during your last tranny service.....if it doesn't come out, then the line is seated......

Rarely see these things leak....maybe dirt was on the line when the line was inserted, or possibly the seal was damaged during removal or installation, or the line was damaged, or maybe it just failed.....in either case, those fitting(s) in the tranny will have to be replaced.....

To remove the lines, once the collar is pulled off, a special tool goes on the line and you rotate it to spread the clip, and the line then pulls right out.....if the tool is not available, a pick can be used, but it takes some patience....once the lines are out , then the fittings have to be replaced, if the lines are seated and still leak....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
alleny87
AF Newbie

Re: 08 Impala 3.5L Trans Leak (First thread Dissapeared)

Yeah i traced the lines this morning once i had some light to see. now i realize what they are i was hoping for just a replacement o-ring but not the case, thankfully the parts only like $30 dollars and if its the fitting itself then they are only another 4 bucks, i think i might just replace it all. Im pretty sure my buddy has the quick disconnect set i can borrow, if not i can use my pick set, i remember the tool from when i worked at a local oreillys auto parts, this job is simple compared to when my oil filter adapter gasket gave out, that thing is a pain to get to. But thanks for the help i do appreciate it
alleny87 is offline   Reply With Quote