Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
Jrwoodruff
AF Newbie

Too hot 429

I have a 1973 429 engine out of a Lincoln that I put in my 66 cobra kit car.cant keep engine from running too hot. Have done all the obvious things, new thermostat, new water pump, after market radiater with mounted electric fan and shroud, added to pusher fans, I did adjust the timing and that helped the problem but it still runs around 200-220 just cruising, if I run it a little harder it will over heat and run out the overflow tank. I am stumped. Engine has been rebuilt.
Jrwoodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
mulamex
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Too hot 429

Hi There, I had the same over heating problem. Although mine was with a 351 Cleveland that the previous owner had rebuilt The previous owner tried many different ways to keep it from running hot but no success. He sold me the car cheap, but didn't tell me about the overheating problem. I was racing cars at the time, and had looked and dreamed about owning a 351C One night at the track I asked and old Ford mechanic if he had any ideas why my Cougar kept running so hot ? He replied that there could be a ton of thing to look for. Then he said that he had rebuilt the motor in his Lincoln Continental , and after rebuilding the motor he had basically the same problem. He took off the intake and heads and discovered that the head gaskets on the right side of the block was installed wrong. the head gasket was blocking two of the water hole on the block. He installed the new head gasket correctly, and after that, the motor quit running hot. So I decided to check the Cleveland and sure enough a head gasket was as he described. Both head gasket problems were on the right side of the block. This fixed his Continental, and it fixed my Cleveland. You might try this procedure, I hope it works for you!
mulamex is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car