Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #31
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tamiya 300SL Gull Wing

Hey Folks, it's the fool here!

I posed the question about the $71 MSRP because I thought it a bit out of line with other kits of similar content and obviously hadn't yet seen street pricing. I tried to ask the question in a neutral way so as not to attract "model companies need to make profit", "people deserve to eat" comments so prevalent on forums when pricing is questioned.

But since we're on the subject, I think expecting a totally new auto kit to be under $30-40 after licensing etc. is actually a poor value proposition in the general case and slowly creating a monster in our hobby. After purchasing better quality decals (with shipping), photo etch (with shipping), and even resin parts (with shipping), to make the model complete, the consumer winds up with a total spend far above that seductive $30 kit acquisition price. If nearly everyone desires a complete model wouldn't it be more efficient to include them in the kit at a somewhat higher price point ($60-80)? I've been looking at recent armor and naval kits coming out of Asia with machined parts and multiple sheets of photoetch. Their value proposition is making me question the trajectory we're on in automotive. Again, I'm speaking generally, not the 300sl kit or temporary value as a result of currency fluctuation.

in a very disturbing trend several model companies (Eduard, Tamiya, Fujimi) have begun blatantly simplifying the kit parts in new releases in order to force the sale of their "upgrades". It amounts to decontenting to create an illusion of value. What happens when the "Special Upgrades" are no longer available and all we can find is the decontented basic kit?

Ponder that!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #32
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridefast View Post
My words exactly! =)

It is a MUST. Gorgeous. =)
My only favourite Merc too! May have to buy this one, even though it's not my scale and too small for my eyes!

I know a place in Germany that has 7 of these under restoration...all under one roof. My jaw dropped when I discovered them!!!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #33
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Beautiful! A must have even though I already have the old Italeri/Revell/Monogram/Heller...versions.
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #34
jstarkweather
AF Newbie

A preview of the actual production kit on AutoModeler.

http://automodeler.kitmaker.net/modu...ntent&id=11142

Cheers,
Jim
jstarkweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:14 AM   #35
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

fantastic! I'll add for sure at the stash, the spaceframe looks fabulous despite someone must find a way to show it properly, one good way may be a restoration dio: the unrestored assembled one aside the restoration WIP. Anyone has 1/24 Bernie's or Edd China's figurines from famous TV series?

However I didn't realized now how window chrome trims are made: I don't see them on the body, I don't see on the clear sprues, neither on chrome parts.....
Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #36
Dexter Models
AF Regular

Chrome trims must be painted with the use of supplied masks
Whole instruction on Hobbysearch
Old 04-05-2015, 04:17 AM   #37
nascar49
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nascar49 Send a message via Yahoo to nascar49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCruncher View Post
Hey Folks, it's the fool here!

I posed the question about the $71 MSRP
What are you talking about?, the kit's MSRP is not $71, that is what the US importers are selling it for, Tower Hobbies has it listed for $53 I do believe, you can buy the kit direct from Japan for less than 4000 Yen.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #38
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar49 View Post
What are you talking about?, the kit's MSRP is not $71, that is what the US importers are selling it for, Tower Hobbies has it listed for $53 I do believe, you can buy the kit direct from Japan for less than 4000 Yen.
US MSRP is $71. Too many middlemen, and now that the yen has dropped, some of the US MSRP's of Japanese kits are insanely out of line. Fujimi Veneno for $99?

My $28 Tamiya SL will be on my doorstep early this week. Add $8 for the express shipping...$36, which is half US MSRP which does not include tax. $6.60 less than I'd pay if I was a US retailer buying the kit wholesale from a US distributor.

And I think HLJ does have bulk prices for those who want to buy caseloads of kits to those w/legitimate business licenses.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #39
nascar49
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5 View Post
US MSRP is $71. Too many middlemen, and now that the yen has dropped, some of the US MSRP's of Japanese kits are insanely out of line. Fujimi Veneno for $99?

I was mistaken, it is $71, and I actually did know that, I looked at what one of the disturbers list it for.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #40
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar49 View Post
I was mistaken, it is $71, and I actually did know that, I looked at what one of the disturbers list it for.
That's quite the Freudian slip
Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 AM   #41
nascar49
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5 View Post
That's quite the Freudian slip
That was supposed to be distributor
Old 04-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #42
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

I just received my 300SL kit from HLJ. I can't believe how nice the chrome parts are! Gates are located in hidden places and the tooling finish is perfect. Even the upper surfaces of the bumpers, which often contain scratches and flash in other kits, are absolutely flawless. The body is more thin and delicate than the AMT with very delicate A-pillars. The window glass parts have large tabs in hidden places making gluing easier. The space frame parts are thin and flash free. Metal stickers are included for the trunk scripts etc.

I do have some concerns. Some engine details are a bit softer than I'd hoped for but I l value engines more than most. The hubcaps and dash will be a pain to mask and paint. The door struts are way over scale and clunky but can easily be replaced with metal rod and tube. No inside trunk details but that's not a biggy.

Overall, this is a large box of gorgeous parts. I can't believe how little I paid for it. It's superior to the old AMT kit in every way but I'll still keep the AMT for nostalgia. This new 300SL is one of the best passenger car kits released in years in my opinion.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #43
jeathray
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Tamiya 300SL Gull Wing mini review

Just got mine! Looks great; even better than the Italeri version that didn't have opening doors. A few misses: missing the chrome rail running around the the back of the package shelf area (shown on the box art), a battery, and the bottom of the chassis is molded in clear to show the frame, but it is frosted not crystal clear. I noticed some swirling going through this clear part, so maybe the frosted finish is to hide this. A better solution would have been to include both a crystal clear and solid white version of the part. Also a lot of the interior parts are molded in metallic gray instead of white which makes them difficult to paint in red without a white undercoat. Ideally they should have produced the MERC symbols and rings on the hubcaps in adhesive metal transfers. It would have made it much more accurate and easier to detail. They provide decals for them, but they won't look nearly as good as transfers would or if you are able to accurately mask them out on the hubcaps. Good luck with that! I'm also wondering if the hub cap decals would even show up when applied to the silver body color.

Last edited by jeathray; 05-31-2015 at 12:06 PM.
jeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #44
viperofoz
AF Regular

Re: Tamiya 300SL Gull Wing mini review update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeathray View Post
I'm also wondering if the hub cap decals would even show up when applied to the silver body color.
I'm holding off building mine in silver in the hope that someone (Hobby Design?) makes a metal sticker set.

Studio 27 has just released a PE set that includes them, but I still think the metal stickers would look better.
I'd also love to see some plaid seat decals available too.

Regards Dan
Old 05-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #45
flashman1957
AF Newbie

Re: Tamiya 300SL Gull Wing mini review update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeathray View Post
On second thought the frosted finish on the clear bottom is probably for better paint adhesion should you decide to paint it. A better solution would have been to include both a crystal clear and solid white version of the part.
I doubt paint adhesion would be the reason for the frosted finish as a light bit of sanding would take care of that problem, and would also make clear and solid versions unnecessary.

Unless Tamiya explains the reason or someone else knows the purpose, it seems like the frosted finish may just be a poor decision on their part.

Cameron
flashman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling