Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
MudPaw
AF Newbie

1994 Quest- shuddering/jerking during acceleration

I have an odd problem. I noticed yesterday my quest shuddered (more of a motion rather than any sort of noise). Think of someone coughing repeatedly and the jerking that it involves-that's the best way I can describe it. It wasn't doing this violently, but to the point I immediately noticed it. It does this at about 25-45 mph ONLY when I push the accelerator, never otherwise. This is the first van I have ever owned, so this is all foreign waters to me. I've only owned Japanese compacts before now. So, any ideas what on Earth this may be?
MudPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1994 Quest- shuddering/jerking during acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPaw
I have an odd problem. I noticed yesterday my quest shuddered (more of a motion rather than any sort of noise). Think of someone coughing repeatedly and the jerking that it involves-that's the best way I can describe it. It wasn't doing this violently, but to the point I immediately noticed it. It does this at about 25-45 mph ONLY when I push the accelerator, never otherwise. This is the first van I have ever owned, so this is all foreign waters to me. I've only owned Japanese compacts before now. So, any ideas what on Earth this may be?
Is your check engine light on?

Have you checked the condition of distributor cap, wires and spark plugs?

Check your fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge and and also the fuel pressure regulator.

The coughing condition you speak of to me usually points to a fuel or timing issue.

Start with the basics and we'll go from there.

There is a procedure to test for DTC codes send me a PM with your email address and I will send some info.

could be a camshaft sensor problem also but don't just throw parts at it without some testing.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPaw
Is the check engine light on?

Have you checked the basics like distributor cap condition, plug wires, spark plugs and fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge along with the fuel pressure regulator?

Another possibility is the camshaft sensor.

To me a coughfying condition usually means a fuel problem or timing issue.

Start with basics and we'll go from there. Don't just throw parts at it without doing some testing first.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you some info.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
chad6363
AF Newbie

I have the same problem I tuned mine up and it still does it. It seems to run fine if it is running at 3500 rpms Maybe I will check the fuel pressure??
chad6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
JoeNoble
AF Newbie

I know this is over a year old but try cleaning your mass air flow sensor. Thats what the problem was with mine.
JoeNoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
wewgyro
AF Newbie

Mine runs smooth when cold for about 5 minutes then, starts missing when accelerating. The wormer it gets, the more it misses. It runs a little smother when I let up on the accelerator pedal.
wewgyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewgyro View Post
Mine runs smooth when cold for about 5 minutes then, starts missing when accelerating. The wormer it gets, the more it misses. It runs a little smother when I let up on the accelerator pedal.

If you stop , shut it off to cool down does it run ok again??? Sounds like the CMPS in the distributor failing. If you can cool the distibutor off somehow when it produces the problem and it runs ok you will need to replaces distributor, is so look on ebay for a richporter distributor, good product with lifetime warranty. I believe the store is THE IMPORTEXPORT STORE. (Check with a local salvage yard for a used distributor, should e able to get one cheap, to test with)
The Following User Says Thank You to tempfixit For This Useful Post:
wewgyro (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
wewgyro
AF Newbie

It must be completely cold and it runs great for a while. If on the highway (at speed) it runs longer. I will try your suggestion.
Thanks
wewgyro is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena