Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Severe painting issues, it never ends. Need help

This helps tremendously, thank you. I honestly think the weather is throwing a spoke in my wheel. I think im doing it right but because its drying to fast it looks bad

Ill be back on it tonight and ket everyone know. Thanks alot for your help

Last question. Should i apply decals over basecoat or over clearcoat and then re clear?
Hemi Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Killer View Post
This helps tremendously, thank you. I honestly think the weather is throwing a spoke in my wheel. I think im doing it right but because its drying to fast it looks bad

Ill be back on it tonight and ket everyone know. Thanks alot for your help

Last question. Should i apply decals over basecoat or over clearcoat and then re clear?
The weather won't help, but it shouldn't make a vast difference with the application of the basecoat. Maybe with the clear then yes, you can definitely get problems with the clear drying too fast when it's very hot weather, which can cause orange peel texture in the surface because the paint dries before it has had time to flow properly and level out. If you are using the 2K clear you can get help with this by using a slow activator/hardener which will retard the drying time and allow more flow out in hot conditions. You can usually get different thinners too for most 2K brands, usually slow, medium, fast and in some cases extra fast. Obviously use a slower thinner in hot conditions and a fast thinner in colder conditions.
Always apply some clear coat before you fit the decals. You can sometimes get by without doing this but the clear will seal the basecoat paint and stop anything marking it (decal glue, setting solutions etc) it's just a wise step to do and the decals will snuggle down much better onto a cleared surface as it's smoother than an un-cleared surface. A smooth surface will prevent any silvering under the carrier film of your decals. after the decals are dry for at least 24hrs, longer if possible you can re-clear over the top of them and after that has dried you can carefully flat back and polish the clear to a finish. Sometimes when using 2K clear if you get the thinning and spraying technique just right, you will end up with a beautiful finish and shine straight from the airbrush and leave yourself little or no polishing to do.
There is another way to do it and that is to apply the clear after the basecoat has dried and spray this to a finish, allow to dry, polish the clear to a finish, apply your decals and not overcoat them with any clear. It's a very personal choice, for me I always clear over the decals but I never used to do that for many years, so it's up to you which path you choose. I do it to protect the decals and to stop them yellowing and cracking with time, as they sometimes can do this but not always. Some of the models I have built from 5-6 years ago are still like new with the 2K clear overcoat. Some from before I used to clear are tired looking, slightly yellowed and in some cases the decals have cracked or peeled..
To sum up try and find a method that works for you and stick with it. You need to experiment a bit and try different things. If you are forgetful like me get yourself a little book and write down what you do on your models regarding the painting processes. Note down the ones that you are happy with and how you painted them and you can then refer back to the notes later if you have problems. Also note down your failures so you can see in future what , if anything you did wrong, then you'll know how to correct it should it happen again.
Don't worry too much and remember that nobody ever suffers zero painting problems. I would say that I make a mess of at least one in five paint jobs. That's why I have a big vat of Isopropyl alcohol waiting for any cock ups that I invariably make. It's always easy to strip and re-paint rather than throw away the kit. Something I can't believe I used to do when I first started to build models some 20 odd years ago...
Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

Thank yiu very much for taking the time to write that i really appreciate it.

I also got some duplicolor clear which is much thinner than zero right out of the can. Ill mess around with both.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #19
guiwee
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoble View Post
Best I can do is a before and after clear example for you, hope it helps...

Before

After

Look how the colours change and darken especially the black which looks almost grey before the clear is added. Don't be too hung up on achieving a flawless finish with the basecoat because it's just that, a basecoat...
aewsome finish steve do you mind telling me exactly how that was achieved??..what paint polish sand...etc.
guiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiwee View Post
aewsome finish steve do you mind telling me exactly how that was achieved??..what paint polish sand...etc.
Sure that's no problem. All the paints are Zero Basecoat colours. They are the fairing parts from the Tamiya Suzuki Hayabusa kit. First all parts were cleaned up and washed in some mild detergent and left to air dry, before being primed with Tamiya Light Grey Primer (aerosol kind) The red is a candy colour so needs a fine silver ground coat, this was applied to the whole part and allowed to dry for an hour or so. Zero Candy Red was then applied over the silver ground coat, 3 light coats and allowed to dry. This was then masked out ready for the black, Zero Suzuki Saturn Black metallic, which was applied in 3 light coats. Once all this was dry I was left with what you see in the top picture, the 'before' shot. The clear was Zero 2K but thinned a little more than is recommended by Hiroboy. One light tack coat was applied and left to flash off for 5-10 mins. This was followed by the first wet coat and 10 mins drying. For the final wet coat I added slightly more thinner and sprayed a good wet coat. At the time I built this model I'd just bought a Mr Hobby Dry Booth, so I baked the cleared parts for 40 mins in the Dry Booth to give the finish that you see in the second photo (the temp is about 45 degrees in the Dry Booth) It's not been polished at all, that's just the finish straight from the airbrush.
This was the first model that I tried the Zero 2K clear on and I was very happy with the finish that can be achieved with it if sprayed correctly. So much so that I've practically used nothing else ever since that day. I firmly believe the key to it's success is in the thinning and the way it's applied. I love the fact that it never sinks into the colour coats. A lot of 1K clears that I've used spray really well and give a nice gloss, but after a nights drying the base colour sucks a lot of life from the clear and you end up with much less gloss than you had the night before. Sometimes needing to re-clear or do lot's of polishing. The 2K stuff is fantastic as it just stays up and the gloss levels remain the same as when you sprayed it. To be honest I was astounded by the finish the 2K can give you, and every time I've used it since that first time I am still amazed by how well it turns out. I've genuinely never had a bad result with it as yet, it really is quality stuff..
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #21
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

So I masked off a resprayed the yellow. I cooled the spray booth, thinned the zero paint with about 20% thinner and stuck with the super fine needle. What a difference. I think the thinning and cooler air temp was key. SUPER smooth paint, 100% better. If I have time I will clear it tinight .

THANK YOU
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #22
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

sooo...i sprayed the clear...I forgot to clean the needle after I sprayed the yellow the first time, in my other airbrush. Clear went on nicely, with a yellow tint over the white.

I think maybe jumping in front of a bus might be easier at this point
Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #23
360spider
AF Moderator

Focusing on the job and paying attention to details would easily fix your last mishap.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360spider View Post
Focusing on the job and paying attention to details would easily fix your last mishap.

I was able to recover it by adding white to the clear and respraying, then respraying clear by itself. Yello tint is gone.

As of right now, the body needs to be cleared one last time, then decals applied, then cleared again.

This certainly is frustrating, but I'm definitely learning a lot.