Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 05:40 PM   #16
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Racing Rice Send a message via AIM to Racing Rice
Quote:
Originally posted by EliteAccord

Actually its the same price if you think about it.

Ground Control $300
Koni Yellow Sport Shocks $500-550 = Total $ 850

Apexi WS true coilovers. $850 at www.groupbuycenter.com
And Ground Control could be alittle more then that too..

Thats even better..

Bikes:
'05 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom, '05 Yamaha Raptor 660R
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 11:29 PM   #17
madtownhonda
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to madtownhonda
I wouldn't get sleeves...I've been there, with ground controls and it fuckin blew....I bought some full coilovers and they ride better and handle better
madtownhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:34 AM   #18
ToadBoy
AF Newbie

Quote:
I wouldn't get sleeves...I've been there, with ground controls and it fuckin blew....I bought some full coilovers and they ride better and handle better
What car did you have the GC's on?
Were you running on stock shocks or ????
How much did you lower your car?
Spring rates?
ToadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:30 PM   #19
dominate9
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to dominate9 Send a message via Yahoo to dominate9
Question what's the verdict on ground control

I have a 96 Accord that I'm putting 18's on. I also want to lower my car but be able to adjust when needed. I also want a stock ride. I care more about the ride being smooth then the actual lowering of the car. So would ground control coilovers and the blue Koni Sport Springs still be my best bet. Or could I get something else to achieve what I want.
dominate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:40 PM   #20
dominate9
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to dominate9 Send a message via Yahoo to dominate9
Question what's the verdict on ground control

I have a 96 Accord that I'm putting 18's on. I also want to lower my car but be able to adjust when needed. I also want a stock ride. I care more about the ride being smooth then the actual lowering of the car. So would ground control coilovers and the blue Koni Sport Springs still be my best bet. Or could I get something else to achieve what I want.
dominate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 12:44 AM   #21
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
I'm looking to get some Ground control coilovers for my car soon, here. So the Tokico "Blues" are the way to go with with the G/C's??? It seems that's the verdict from most. I want a pretty decent suspension setup shock/spring wise, but don't really have the funds to spend the money on a full true coilover setup. If I was able to go that route, I'd go H&R's all the way. Just from personal experience. They are as good as, if not better than stock, ride quality wise. So how much do a set of the Tokico "Blues" run cost wise? And are they adjustable in any way, or are they just straight up aftermarket struts? Also what's the difference between the "normal" G/Cs, and the limited edition G/C's?
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 10:45 AM   #22
ToadBoy
AF Newbie

Cost of "Blue" Tokico

The proper name for the "Blue" Tokico is "Premium Performance". Blue is much easier to remember. They are non-adjustable. They usually go for anywhere between $70-$90. It all depends on where you shop, and who you know. I work at a speed shop so I could get it at nearly cost, which is around $40-$50. The time I bought it for $25 each brand new was from a guy that just wanted to gt rid of them. He sold it much lower than his cost.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:09 PM   #23
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: Cost of "Blue" Tokico

Quote:
Originally posted by ToadBoy
The proper name for the "Blue" Tokico is "Premium Performance". Blue is much easier to remember. They are non-adjustable. They usually go for anywhere between $70-$90. It all depends on where you shop, and who you know. I work at a speed shop so I could get it at nearly cost, which is around $40-$50. The time I bought it for $25 each brand new was from a guy that just wanted to gt rid of them. He sold it much lower than his cost.
What shop in So. Cali do you work at?

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 12-14-2001, 09:33 PM   #24
texan
Writer Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverY2KCivic
I'm looking to get some Ground control coilovers for my car soon, here. So the Tokico "Blues" are the way to go with with the G/C's??? It seems that's the verdict from most. I want a pretty decent suspension setup shock/spring wise, but don't really have the funds to spend the money on a full true coilover setup.
#1- Tokico shocks do not adjust stiff enough to control most serious springs, and Ground Controls come with pretty damn stiff springs. As someone who has experience with Tokico shocks on 3 different cars, cross them off your list now if this is your chosen spring setup.

#2- Running 18" rims on a lowered car and retaining stock ride quality are mutually exclusive things. You can do one or the other, but not both.

#3- If you decide to run springs dialed in for light competition (Ground Control setups are best used on Solo 2 courses), get shocks dialed in for light competition. Specifically, the best off-the-shelf springs for this use are Koni Yellows (aka Koni Sports).

#4- If you don't have a ton of money, make absolutely SURE you do it right the first time. Skimping in the beginning only leads to more money spent in the end, buy the right parts for your setup and you will be much happier in the end.

#5- Anyone who thinks Tokico Blues work great with stiff springs is smoking crack, period.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:24 AM   #25
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Thanks for the advice, Texan. Ok, so what would be good struts, that aren't as expensive as Koni yellows? I want to do it right the first time, but my current budget just won't allow me to get say like true coilovers, or even a G/C Koni Yellow, setup. Would the Tokico performance "blues" still be not advised, even if I only plan on lowering the car by "1.5 at the most? For rims, I assume you were addressing members on here in general, but for me personally, I'm going to get a set of Si rims, which as you kow are "15's. Ride quality is on the more important side for me, so if I got the "Blues" than what springs would you suggest I get for them? Or vice verca with the G/C coils? I want my ride a little bit lower, not too much, in the means of slamming, but just something that's astetically pleasing to the eye, to look good with the Si rims. Plus I want to eliminate the Cadillac'esque bobbing my car tends to get when more than just a front seat passenger is in the car. I want something that feels near stock with only me in the car, yet rides tighter than stock with a full load of passengers.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 12-15-2001, 02:39 AM   #26
Dezoris
Mod for life

Send a message via AIM to Dezoris
Quote:
Originally posted by texan

#1- Tokico shocks do not adjust stiff enough to control most serious springs, and Ground Controls come with pretty damn stiff springs. As someone who has experience with Tokico shocks on 3 different cars, cross them off your list now if this is your chosen spring setup.

#2- Running 18" rims on a lowered car and retaining stock ride quality are mutually exclusive things. You can do one or the other, but not both.

#3- If you decide to run springs dialed in for light competition (Ground Control setups are best used on Solo 2 courses), get shocks dialed in for light competition. Specifically, the best off-the-shelf springs for this use are Koni Yellows (aka Koni Sports).

#4- If you don't have a ton of money, make absolutely SURE you do it right the first time. Skimping in the beginning only leads to more money spent in the end, buy the right parts for your setup and you will be much happier in the end.

#5- Anyone who thinks Tokico Blues work great with stiff springs is smoking crack, period.
I agree with the Tockico, statment.
I really don't think they up to damping agressive springs either.
Although many people swear by them, and it is hard to argue opinion, these are the people who have never had experience with anything else.

I also believe strongly that you, must plan out your suspension before throwing it on. Down to every detail. This like Texan said will save you a lot of money and much headache.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:03 AM   #27
madtownhonda
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to madtownhonda
I had the blue's on my first car...but there is simply no way I would ever pair them with coilovers....I had H&R sports...they did what I wanted them to do and they were cheap...I got them with the springs for $250...they were used but as good as new and I had no problems with the setup for the 7 months I had it on my car.....I would suggest this if you only want to lower 1.5-2"...just get sport springs.... if your going with coilovers though you should always do it right the first time...I personally don't see spending $700 on a set of springs/sleeves and yellows, you can get real coilovers for a bit more...I got my coilovers for $760 new...you can get used ones for cheaper than that too
madtownhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 12:39 PM   #28
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

That's why I'm trying to find out what would be a good match up strut wise for Ground Controls, I'm settled on those, because I really want the height adjustability of them. What would be some good/decent, yet inexpensive struts to match the G/C's to? I'm going to go the Koni yellow route, because I can't afford that.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 12-17-2001, 11:00 AM   #29
ToadBoy
AF Newbie

Texan advises not to use Tokico, but he didn't tell us what car he had them on. Each car is different and it my not be applicable to Silver2KYCivic's car.

I have a 1995 Integra lowered until there was no wheel to fender gap. My ground controls (limited edition) with my tokicos work just fine to get a stock ride feel; I drove a stock integra and my car on the same day to compare the difference. The springs that came with my g/c's are not stiff at all. If you want stiff, the Skunk's are stiff as hell. I've only had experience with ground controls and skunk's adj. c/o sleeves with the 94-2001 Integras, so I can't say the tokico & g/c setup is for every application. As for Silver2KYcivic's setup, correct me if I'm wrong, the 92-2000 Civics' suspension are virtually the same as the 90-2001 Integras, so my advice is go with the G/C & Tokico for a cheap adjustable setup that will give you a stock quality ride. Of course running big wheels with low profile tires will lessen the soft ride, but it is not the g/c's to be blamed.

If you're really low on money, listen to other peoples advice on getting a non height adjustable setup. I got my g/c just so I can offset the added weight in the rear of my car (lots of stereo stuff). All of that weight made my car 3/4" lower. It looked stupid with the rear lower than the front.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:19 AM   #30
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Did you have the blue Tokicos, Toadboy? Well if so, then it looks like my best option for what I want, is the G/C Tokico "blues" set up. Thanks for the helpful info on that.

hessemer69 on AIM

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels