Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Golf
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
gdaniel
AF Newbie

Exclamation Random oil warning alarm, part 2 (boschman ??)

Hello, i am a new to this forum. I wonder if anyone except bhughes with his post on 06-13-2004 got the same problem. i will quote bhughes:

"1997 Golf, 1.8L gas. The oil warning buzzer goes off quite regularly, under systematic conditions. Under 2000 RPM, no problem. Just over 2000 RPM, alarm may come on at random. Alarm will stay on unless I rev to about 2500 RPM, then it will go off. I changed the oil and filter. It seemed better for about a day, then started again. There are 2 sensors on the oil filter housing: one for low pressure, and one for high pressure. I suspect one of the sensors, but I don't know which one. Has anyonw else experienced this?"

Well, i have a '96 golf 1.8 mono gas and also a '90 Jetta 1.3 gas electronic multiport injection (yes i live in Europe) who both behave the same way...

(as much as i see the 1.8 engineblock is very similar with the 2.0 engine found even on '92 audi 80 (b4) of a friend and the 1.3 block is similar to the 1.4 mono injection found on MK3)

To be more complete, the oil lamp flashes/beeps when engine is warm, starts to beep just above 2000rpm and extends up to 2600 when engine is warmest. Though when it flashes/beeps if i go over 2600 rpm and then drop it under 2000 (pressing the clutch to dissengage) it shuts up . Anyway it is annoying because this corresponds to 80-100km/h in the 5th gear.... Interessting fact is that when using engine break on steep downhill roads it never complains!!!

Oil level ok, 10w-40 recently changed with filter, as i previously used on golf and 15w-40 on jetta, tryed on jetta with thicker oil, same effect.

Forgot to mention that the engines work fine....

also double checked with other oil pressure sensors of the same kinds (brown insulation 0.15-0,45bar and white insulation 1.6-2.0bar), same behaviour...

Believe that the problem is purely mechanical but i am not shure if a oil overpressure bypass valve can behave this way....
So i came to the conclusion that oil pump or the camshaft/piston bearings might be weared (as both cars have a little over 200k kilometers) but still searching for other opinions due to the incredible coincidence of the problem. (on the golf it appeared over winter as i used it less frequently and the jetta was recently bought, knowing about the problem)

sorry for the book and hope to hear good news

Last edited by gdaniel; 08-19-2005 at 01:48 AM.
gdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
boschmann
AF Fanatic

Re: Random oil warning alarm (part 2) :)

I'd go with the oil pump.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
gdaniel
AF Newbie

Exclamation It's not the oil pump

I was on holliday and i managed only last saturday to change the oil pump with a new one, not changing the oil though to see if that was the problem... And it's not...... checked also main bearings nr.2 and 4 lower half and the connecting rod bearings and only the nr. 4 main bearing lower half seemed a little damaged... the rule with the distance to the oil pump applies here ...

Any other ideeas?
gdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
89' GOLF: )
AF Newbie

Angry annoying buzzing!! been there!!

Hey guys!

I have the same problem with my 89' Golf i haven't found a permanant soulution but a short term on will due (as long as i dont have to listen to that buzzing!!!!) Okay so like i said i dont know the cause of the problem bu tbelieve me it wont go away on its own ...you can turn up the radio as loud as you want but it will still be there..what i did and you can only do it in warm season months..and that is to put in a thicker oil..i usually use 10W30 but i used 20W50 for the summer and the noise was gone!!! YAY!!

But you have to get an oil change DON'T MIX THE OIL!! and you have to put the thinner oil back in before the winter!

I just think it is the oil sensor .. it just doesnt read that there is oil in the car....i think this winter im just going to diconnect it or something!!

Hope this helps! and its good to know im not alone!
89' GOLF: ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
johnnynamanic
AF Newbie

look no oil pump or none of that bs you need lucas oil stabilizer. i had the same problem in my 95. evry oil change i put 1 quort in, almost 2 years with out the buzzer. trust me lucas is the shit!
johnnynamanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
johnnynamanic
AF Newbie

i will explain more i didn't fully read evrything. but belive me it lucas. i would bet $1000000 on it . Changing the presure sensors, bet that didn't work. changing to different types of oil , i don't think that will work. honestly the engine runs hot. so what the stablizer does is coats all the parts to create less friction(the oil stablizer looks like honey). Which in turn the engine wont burn as hot and no more oil light. $15.95 thats all it will take (thats canadian). NO JOKE!

P.S if any one has a good idea for me PLEASE HELP! 1995 golf 1.8 top end and a 2.0 bottom end I need more gas. the computer is for a 1.8. I would like to find a way to multi-port it, if its even posible. Or find a bigger single-port from another car. PLEASE HELP!
johnnynamanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
Macstunnah
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Macstunnah Send a message via Yahoo to Macstunnah

well i am having the same problem. Bought the car and about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks later it started. I thought oil pump also. But originally the owner of the car had a thicker oil i believe it was 10w30 or 10w40 and i switched after flushing the engine with a cleaner to 5w30 synthetic. Bad idea now my cars light went off constantly and it was full so it was like it wasnt thick enough for my sensor or some shit. But i put back in the 10w30 now no more sensor going off but its overheating a bit.

1994 golf Gl 2.0L 4cyl 130k

Macstunnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Jessvw72
AF Newbie

I have a 1996 VW Passat V6. Had everything replaced, Oil gasket replaced between oil housing, replaced the oil sensor, oil filter and changed oil. For one I would Never add a oil additive there just bad noise. I had a VW mechanic tell me its the oil screen in the oil pan that needs clean, Im going to clean it this week end but the new gasket is about 36 bucks. Im also going to check the wires going to the sensor for correct placement. My alarm goes off after 2000 rpm and never goes off till we are at desto.
Hope this might help.
Jessvw72 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Golf