Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - New/New Beetle Convertible
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
AF News Desk
Your Source For Auto News

Post New Volkswagen Beetle R Concept Gets Glammed Up

Not only is the Volkswagen Beetle getting a significant redesign for its next release, but its R tuned model is getting some shine to it as well.

Still, with the sleeker look and the power to match, this Beetle looks like the long, lost cousin to the past iterations of the new beetle.

Fortunately for those of you who aren't a fan, it's still only a concept, so who knows - you might not even have to worry about seeing it on the road.

The story from Jalopnik:

Quote:
Originally Posted by By Mike Spinelli - Jalopnik, 9/13/11

Volkswagen Beetle R is very shiny, but we can live with that

It's got more chrome than Elvis had themed bedrooms, but it's nothing a little dirt couldn't fix. Underneath, the Beetle R is something we'd no doubt consider taking home for a little of the old paddle shift, know wot I mean?

Unfortunately, for the moment, the AWD Beetle R is merely an attention-getting concept targeted to freaks like us, who, after driving the new 2012 Volkswagen Beetle, would celebrate the addition of a 266-hp Beetle. The figment of VW's conceptual imagination would get a version of the 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged four in the Golf R.

Of course, we'd keep the engine and the aero kit (and the sport seats), lose the 20" jewelry (some shiny things we just can't live with) and assume the position — behind the wheel, of course. Naturally, VW people are merely suggesting all of this might be possible, by way of teasing the crap out of us.
[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Call me crazy, but I think it has a better look to it from the past iterations of the Beetle. Instead of having the very feminine feel of the previous Beetles (yes, even the black ones, guy beetle owners - sorry), it has a more aggressive stance and look to it that offers a more unisex appeal.

Still, aside from the new look, there isn't much about this car that is technically "new." It's using previous platforms as the basis for its production instead of setting a new standard for the car and taking a chance that will benefit the company. Perhaps playing it safe works for the bottom line with the company, but if you're going to come out with something like this, I would think going out on a limb would be at least worth a try - especially in the conceptualization stage.

If this does make it into production, hopefully there will be some changes for the better, but that's a big "if" at the moment.

What are your thoughts?

Email newsdesk@automotiveforums.com or send us a private message with a link to the content you think AF Members should check out!
AF News Desk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven
Re: New Volkswagen Beetle R Concept Gets Glammed Up

I actually like it a lot better than the most recent New Beetle. I'd drive it after a bit of tuning has been done on it.
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
l.qinwe
AF Newbie

Re: New Volkswagen Beetle R Concept Gets Glammed Up

I'm a big fan of the Volkswagen Beetle! I fell in love with this little car more after this this http://bit.ly/w9bxJr
l.qinwe is offline   Reply With Quote