Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Opel GT
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
cambece
AF Newbie

1973 Opel GT

I'm going to be buying a 1973 Opel GT. I don't really know too much about them. Is there any advice anyone out there could give me?

Cambece
JA Cambece Law Office
cambece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
2_Late_I_Won
AF Regular

Re: 1973 Opel GT

I was in the same situation your we or still are in. My brother found one in pretty good condition. And we both didn't know that much about them or know of anyone who did know anything about them. This one is a 1971 didn't run when we got it but just last night I got it to run off of carb cleaner. I got the fuel pump to start and I had a gasoline sprinkler system from the carb that was leaking fuel from the old gaskets. From what I've seen parts are pretty cheap but the hard part is to find the parts.

Opel Gt was only made for 5 years 69 and 70's are from what I hear a little better cause there weren't as much emmisions stuff. My brother got a '71 for $500 plus anoter Opel Gt Motor.

This looks like a pretty simple car setup. I would invest in a shop manual though. Good luck I know it's been a while
Old 05-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
comp
AF Regular

any updates ???
comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
east texas
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambece
I'm going to be buying a 1973 Opel GT. I don't really know too much about them. Is there any advice anyone out there could give me?

Cambece
JA Cambece Law Office
There are two engines 1.1 and 1.9 the 1.9 is prefered 1.1 has two carbs and parts are harder to find. Even thoughthe 1.1 is rarer irt is not as easy to maintain or get parts for also has less hp. Theyhave automatic and 4 speed manual the manual is prefered .
1973 has the lower compression engine it (dished pistons) it also has hydralic lifters as opposed to the solid on the 69, 70 models. 71 and later have pop out window vents were the earlier models were fixed. 73 was the last year imported to the states with late 68 for the first runners up top the 69 model that was the first year for sales. There are very few 68 models Other than a few wiring changes and types of materials most Gt's appear the same. I own several of them all years without going into much detail in this limited space if you desire one I would opt for the later model with an earlier engine. JMTCW
east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
2_Late_I_Won
AF Regular

Good to know thanks for the info.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Please check the date of the last post in the thread and do not respond if that date is longer than 3 months from the current date.
From AF's Community Guidelines:
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

The link to these guidelines can be found here:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html

Closed.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Opel GT