Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
mother_russia
AF Enthusiast

I Am So Mad

After doing countless hours of research, I purchased profile ca600 amp to go with my jl 10w6. I have not yet installed it yet, but now apparently the reps at cruthfield tell me it will damage the amp to use this sub with it, even though TWO of their reps told me it would work initially. Well now, yesturday, the rep said it wouldn't, and after calling again for a second opinion, the next rep confirmed that it won't work. I am basically pissed because it is now too late to return the amp. Apparently the amp is NOT stable for anything less than 4 ohms, while the ACTUAL warning on the amp says just to not bridge it at 2. I was going to bridge it in parallel to bring the 6 ohm dual coil 10w6 down to a 3 ohm load. The rep said that the reason that a 3 ohm disclaimer is not placed on the amp is because only jl makes 6 ohm amps, and they just didnt bother. Fuck.

Check out these specs, do you guys think I will end up damaging or shortening the amp's life?

JL 10w6
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/10_12W6_MAN.pdf

Profile CA600
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mRsa8Vt...0&search=ca600
mother_russia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman
Re: I Am So Mad

its 3ohm DVC right?
just run one chanel to each coil. you should get a little less than 200w per chanel. i have no experence with these amps so i am not going to reccomend putting them on a load lower than rated....
but if it has good circut protection the most it will do is over heat and go intoprotect mode...you know how many times ive sent just about every amp ive owned and friends of mine own(ed) into protect mode and they never failed untill we purposely blow them up (screw trying to sell them).
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77

Call them and tell them you want to send it back for a ca600M since they told you that the amp would work.
2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's
13 cuft NET ported box tuned to 27hz
Autotek Mean Machine MX3000.1
Ascendant Audio Arco component set
Orion 275SX (Mids)
PPI Art Series A200 (tweets)
Poly Mids for rear fill to come soon.
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
mother_russia
AF Enthusiast

its 6 ohm dvc, and i can't send it back, because i didnt ACTUALLY order it from crutchfield. they just recommended it, but i ended up buying elsewhere. now they dont even carry them so i am wondering if the rep was pushing them to get rid of them.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

well Ebay it and get somehting that works if they refuse to take it back...
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
they are only 6 ohms at the resonant frequency, for most other frequencies the impedance is much higher. Try hooking it up that way and see what it does, if the impedance is too low it will probably trip the protection citcuitry anyway.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
drivingdown595
AF Newbie

[quote=mother_russia]After doing countless hours of research, I purchased profile ca600 amp to go with my jl 10w6. I have not yet installed it yet, but now apparently the reps at cruthfield tell me it will damage the amp to use this sub with it, even though TWO of their reps told me it would work initially. Well now, yesturday, the rep said it wouldn't, and after calling again for a second opinion, the next rep confirmed that it won't work. I am basically pissed because it is now too late to return the amp. Apparently the amp is NOT stable for anything less than 4 ohms, while the ACTUAL warning on the amp says just to not bridge it at 2. I was going to bridge it in parallel to bring the 6 ohm dual coil 10w6 down to a 3 ohm load. The rep said that the reason that a 3 ohm disclaimer is not placed on the amp is because only jl makes 6 ohm amps, and they just didnt bother. Fuck.

Check out these specs, do you guys think I will end up damaging or shortening the amp's life?

JL 10w6. frist you need to know how many watts is your sub than u could find how many watts than could push out.
drivingdown595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:49 AM   #8
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

my friend did that, she got a 2 ch amp and bridged it for a 12w3d6 and her amp goes into protection after a few seconds, i say u sell that, and find a class D amp, something that makes 350-400rms @ 2 ohms so u get about 300/350rms @ 3
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112

if you consider selling the amp how much would you want for it i already have one and have been looking for another one but there hard to find at a good price, or you just cant find them.
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
mother_russia
AF Enthusiast

pimprolla, i bought it for 90 plus shipping. i am going to try to not lose anything with the sale, so i will prolly sell it for like 105. however, this is not a good deal for you, i would suggest that you look at the couple that are on ebay now, they're very well priced. i will likely end up selling my amp to some kid at school who wont shop online.

by the way, i have bought a profile ap1000m in place of this amp. despite the fact that the profile rep told me i could try to use the ca600 with the jl, i would have to not run it much longer than an hour at a time and even that with a sub thats going to be kicking a lot is somewhat reckless. i figure i might as well just get a amp that will work for my situation. thanks for the help though.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #11
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD
they are only 6 ohms at the resonant frequency, for most other frequencies the impedance is much higher. Try hooking it up that way and see what it does, if the impedance is too low it will probably trip the protection citcuitry anyway.
I was gunna tell him that it would be fine after box rise but I looked it up and the actual Re is lower then 6 per coil.... prolly a lil too low for the profile.
2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's
13 cuft NET ported box tuned to 27hz
Autotek Mean Machine MX3000.1
Ascendant Audio Arco component set
Orion 275SX (Mids)
PPI Art Series A200 (tweets)
Poly Mids for rear fill to come soon.
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
mother_russia
AF Enthusiast

exactly, and the theory that i could squeek by with the ca600 would only work if the voice coils were ACTUALLY 6 ohms. they are less, so its really getting too far below the 4 ohm recommendation once its bridged. its just going to get too hot.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio