Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:50 AM   #1
ekmarsal
AF Newbie

'96 Contour electrical problem/please help!!!

Hi.This car is driving me absolutely crazy. I don't know what to do anymore.I like the car but it's just killing me.
I replaced the battery two weeks ago and the car was running just fine and today it's just dead.I checked the voltage on the battery and it says 0.9V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First thing I thought was the alternator, but just before I purchased this battery I went to AutoZone and they checked it.It showed 14.0V on the battery terminals when engine idling which is what it supposed to be when it's charging properly, they said.
Now I'm just frustrated as hell and confused.I don't know what to do next.Don't want to take it to the shop,they'll rip me off, I know that.I wish I could check and make sure it's not the alternator.
I'm afraid there's a serious electrical problem, where the plus terminal is shorting somewhere and it drains the battery slowly.If I start the car every day as I was doing it for the past two weeks it's ok, but it's been sitting there for three days and there I have it.
That's way I'm thinking maybe it's shorting somewhere.
Please if anyone has had a similar problem let me know I'd appreciate it as any help is more then welcomed.Thank you.
ekmarsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
shtrived
AF Newbie

Re: '96 Contour electrical problem/please help!!!

Seems like my problem

I have ford 96 contour and as Iwas sitting outside grocery store for my friend I realise my car wudnt start. Called AAA....by the time the guy was back my car started again. Doubted bad battery and got it changed, only to realise it died after some 100 miles. Think its an alternatort.....but am not sure, since i just replaced one 7 months ago. And if there is some problem with alternator i wud like to know what can kill the alternator so soon.

suggestions please

---Sid
shtrived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
SarahBHall
AF Newbie

Check the fuse in the 30 posision in the fuse box under the driver's side dash, or if you took any of the lights or burned out dash lights will stop the alt from charging. I just went through this for two weeks. The dash is easy to take apart just few screws check every dash light when you turn the key before you do that though. What ever you do don't leave any of the lights out of their sockets I left my airbag out because it kept blinking. Dumb move and $300.00 later. Try that Before taking it to the shop agian. Buy a Chilton's book best 20 bucks you will spend on that car.
SarahBHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
ThihiLady52
AF Newbie

my turn signals and hazard lights are only "buzzing"...not working. Bought a new flasher but cannot find location of flasher to replace.
Please advise as to how i can find the flasher
ThihiLady52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Jason43
AF Regular

Re: Re: '96 Contour electrical problem/please help!!!

Try changing the bulbs first.

1999 Ford Contour SVT
Jason43 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour