Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
co2-dioxide
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to co2-dioxide Send a message via Yahoo to co2-dioxide
Exclamation 2000 Kia Sephia wont start all the time

I have a 2000 Kia Sephia LS and its been in the shop 2x trying to figure out why it won't start up. It starts up when it wants to. It has been taken to the shop and sat there for a couple of days and started right up for the mechanic, in fact, it starts up every time for him and takes 10 minutes or so for it to start up for me. They fixed the thermostat saying that the car wouldn't start cause it was thinking it was too hot. Could this be it? Or a short in the wiring / faulty ingnition switch / fuel pump?

The starter is fine.

Please advise
co2-dioxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
ECMr
AF Newbie

I have same problem and now i just found out that the fuel filter is leaking so going to replace that maybe the presure is being loast and has to build up in line to resart. will post results after replacement
ECMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
byoungs
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Kia Sephia wont start all the time

I need to find out what the timeing is for a 2000 kia sephia 16 valve
byoungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
anttimm
AF Newbie

I have the same problem! sometimes it starts right up and runs fine and radomly a few times a week, it won't start for 2-10 minutes and then it will start and run just fine. No check engine light on or anything!

I'm pissed and have no idea what to do. I've considered the camshaft pos. sensor but when I simply disconnect it the 2001 kia sephia still runs.

If anyone knows PLEASE PLEASE HELP

thanks!
anttimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
daveg812
AF Newbie

Same problem with mine.
When it's cold it usually starts ok. Not great, but ok.
When it's warmed up or hot the car will only crank a quarter of a revolution or so. Each time the key is turned the engine barely cranks. After many tries it MIGHT actually turn over like a normal car. We changed the starter motor with no difference in starting. Changed the battery twice. Even bought a portable power-pack/jump starter. Still doesn't crank properly. Usually jumper cables will do the trick... usually.

Wierd thing is after a few years of putting up with this and not being able to fix it, the timing belt snapped. Changed the timing belt with a junk yard belt just to see if there was any damage to the valves (heard that this car was zero clearance). Result: No damage to the engine AND ... it started right up! Every time the engine was stopped - cold/warm/or hot - it cranked like a champ and started right up. So I figured the old timing belt was stretched and throwing the timing into advanced mode.

Bought a new timing belt and replaced the junkyard one (which I immediately threw away) and guess what !! The problem is back to stay! Once again it's hard to crank when the engine is warm. I've changed every sensor I could related to timing: the crank position sensor, the cam position sensor, the thermo sending sensor. Nothing has worked.

Anybody out there have any ideas ????
daveg812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg812 View Post
Same problem with mine.
When it's cold it usually starts ok. Not great, but ok.
When it's warmed up or hot the car will only crank a quarter of a revolution or so. Each time the key is turned the engine barely cranks. After many tries it MIGHT actually turn over like a normal car. We changed the starter motor with no difference in starting. Changed the battery twice. Even bought a portable power-pack/jump starter. Still doesn't crank properly. Usually jumper cables will do the trick... usually.

Wierd thing is after a few years of putting up with this and not being able to fix it, the timing belt snapped. Changed the timing belt with a junk yard belt just to see if there was any damage to the valves (heard that this car was zero clearance). Result: No damage to the engine AND ... it started right up! Every time the engine was stopped - cold/warm/or hot - it cranked like a champ and started right up. So I figured the old timing belt was stretched and throwing the timing into advanced mode.

Bought a new timing belt and replaced the junkyard one (which I immediately threw away) and guess what !! The problem is back to stay! Once again it's hard to crank when the engine is warm. I've changed every sensor I could related to timing: the crank position sensor, the cam position sensor, the thermo sending sensor. Nothing has worked.

Anybody out there have any ideas ????
I would double check the number on the timing belt count the teeth. Did you rotate the engine after installing and and recheck the timing marks.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote