Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
dylanborns
AF Regular

Soft pedal after brake job and bleeding

2001 Escape V6 4x4 150,000
I was in a minor wreck a few days ago, which left no damage to my car, but due to hitting the brakes so hard, I blew a front passenger side rubber brake line. On the tow home, I lost all fluid in the MC so I knew all four wheels would need to be bled. I noticed the drivers side front line was also in bad shape, so the accident was actually a blessing.
I bought and installed front rubber lines, and have new ones coming for the rear as those are the same age as the fronts, and front calipers, (my caliper bleed screws were frozen in the caliper and started rounding off, so I bought new calipers). I installed the new brake lines and calipers and after taking it for a drive three times I found the pedal was soft, so I bled the brakes three times. I had no air coming from the lines, and I was even getting clean fluid to the back, so I don't know what I should try next. If I pump the pedal while driving, I get stronger braking, but thats after doing it 2-3 times.
The MC fluid level is full, I don't have a brake light or ABS light illuminated, and all pads and shoes are new within the last year, so I know the brakes are good. Should I keep bleeding these things or is there something I'm missing? Also on my old Jeep, if there's air in the lines, the brake light stays lit on the panel; is that not the case with an Escape?

Thanks
dylanborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Soft pedal after brake job and bleeding

Since you lost all fluid in the MC, sounds like you need to bleed the MC.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
dylanborns
AF Regular

Can you explain how to bleed the MC? I googled it and only found info on how to bleed a clutch MC.

Thanks
dylanborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Old 02-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
65comet
AF Enthusiast

There was a recall on 01 and 02 brake master cylinders. You might want to look to see if yours was part of that and if so, start out with the new one from Ford before messing around with the old one. If it wasn't one of the recalls, then those links from the search in aleekat's post should help you out.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid