Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Hark
AF Newbie

04 Malibu turn signal problem

My daughter has the newer body style 04 malibu 6 cyl with about 55000 miles. A couple of weeks ago she started having the problem with the left turn signal flashing wildly and not working. When we bought the car we got a 90 day warranty - so we were trying to work thru the dealership and they told us it was the hazard and gave us part 10359580 - took a week and unfortunately I could tell that this was a part for the older style Malibus, because I also have a 97 - and the part was for the 97, not the 04. So they reordered me part 15258590 - which again is the hazard switch - and I'm not sure if this is going to fix the problem. From what I can read on the forum, it appears that the hazard switch replacement for turn signals that's discussed seems to be with the older models. The dealership is no help - her 90 day warranty is up today, so they are just ordering cheap parts stringing me along I'm afraid. The first part that fit the older malibus had about 10 wire connections - so it made sense that it might be controlling the turn signal. This new part is just the small hazard lite icon and looks like it just plugs in with 3 prongs. My daughter is in training 3 hours away for the next couple of weeks, so I can't look at the car today, but we were trying to get this fixed while it was still under warranty.
Does anyone know in the newer style if the turn signal problem is actually in the turn signal switch on the column - or is the hazard switch still involved? I called another dealership and they didn't seem to know the answer either - Of course I understand a phone call isn't getting them any labor money - so they aren't going to volunteer much info. Help - I hate to have my daughter take the car to a dealership in a college town where she might get a huge bill - but she can't be driving around a large city with no turn signals.

Thanks
Hark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
slls
AF Regular

Re: 04 Malibu turn signal problem

Looked up my 04 Malibu diagnostic for the newer car. Right off is says check for operating hazards. Do you know if the hazards work, if no, try the switch assy you have.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
wpbharry
AF Regular

This is a very common problem in new-style '04 and '05 Malibus. The daytime running lights in those 2 model years (changed for '06) are in the amber parking lamps and they tend to burn out quickly. I forget all the details, but there should be a ton of documentation either in here or elsewhere on the Internet....fortunately (??) for me, I've had a minor front-end accident that required replacement of both headlamp assemblies, so my turn signal problem is gone, at least for now. I'm also seeing a lot of '04 Malibus on the road with very hazed-over headlamp assemblies. Not good.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
slls
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbharry
This is a very common problem in new-style '04 and '05 Malibus. The daytime running lights in those 2 model years (changed for '06) are in the amber parking lamps and they tend to burn out quickly. I forget all the details, but there should be a ton of documentation either in here or elsewhere on the Internet....fortunately (??) for me, I've had a minor front-end accident that required replacement of both headlamp assemblies, so my turn signal problem is gone, at least for now. I'm also seeing a lot of '04 Malibus on the road with very hazed-over headlamp assemblies. Not good.
Had a left bulb burn out at 10K, 30K now no problems since. Headlight lens are as clear as the day I bought it. It is garaged when not on the road, sees little sun.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Hark
AF Newbie

Okay - I should have mentioned that daughter's boyfriend replaced the turn signal bulb right off, and that didn't fix it, unless there is something wrong that is blowing the bulb immediately - which would be odd since it's only the left turn signal with the problem. Also the hazard switch seems to be working. Does anyone know where the posts are about the 04 & 05 turn signal problems? Everything I could find seemed to be discussing the older models, in fact the one post specifically mentioned the part that fits the older body style.

slls - The Malibu diagnostic - is that in the owner's manual? Again the owner's manual is 3 hours away in the car - so I'm kind of grasping at straws trying to diagnose a problem that I can't mess with at present.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
wpbharry
AF Regular

Not only does it blows the bulb, it also burns out the connector.

I might have originally seen all the posts about this over in Edmund's. That site had most of the early-on diagnostic info, since it was only recently that the '04 and newer Malis have been discussed on this site.....
Old 08-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
slls
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hark
Okay - I should have mentioned that daughter's boyfriend replaced the turn signal bulb right off, and that didn't fix it, unless there is something wrong that is blowing the bulb immediately - which would be odd since it's only the left turn signal with the problem. Also the hazard switch seems to be working. Does anyone know where the posts are about the 04 & 05 turn signal problems? Everything I could find seemed to be discussing the older models, in fact the one post specifically mentioned the part that fits the older body style.

slls - The Malibu diagnostic - is that in the owner's manual? Again the owner's manual is 3 hours away in the car - so I'm kind of grasping at straws trying to diagnose a problem that I can't mess with at present.

Thanks
No, not in the owners manual, I downloaded the entire Malibu SI when I was lucky enough to have a user name and password. New system now, each tech has his own.
Are you saying all 4 lights flash when the hazards are on, this is important.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
alblogg
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hark
My daughter has the newer body style 04 malibu 6 cyl with about 55000 miles. A couple of weeks ago she started having the problem with the left turn signal flashing wildly and not working. When we bought the car we got a 90 day warranty - so we were trying to work thru the dealership and they told us it was the hazard and gave us part 10359580 - took a week and unfortunately I could tell that this was a part for the older style Malibus, because I also have a 97 - and the part was for the 97, not the 04. So they reordered me part 15258590 - which again is the hazard switch - and I'm not sure if this is going to fix the problem. From what I can read on the forum, it appears that the hazard switch replacement for turn signals that's discussed seems to be with the older models. The dealership is no help - her 90 day warranty is up today, so they are just ordering cheap parts stringing me along I'm afraid. The first part that fit the older malibus had about 10 wire connections - so it made sense that it might be controlling the turn signal. This new part is just the small hazard lite icon and looks like it just plugs in with 3 prongs. My daughter is in training 3 hours away for the next couple of weeks, so I can't look at the car today, but we were trying to get this fixed while it was still under warranty.
Does anyone know in the newer style if the turn signal problem is actually in the turn signal switch on the column - or is the hazard switch still involved? I called another dealership and they didn't seem to know the answer either - Of course I understand a phone call isn't getting them any labor money - so they aren't going to volunteer much info. Help - I hate to have my daughter take the car to a dealership in a college town where she might get a huge bill - but she can't be driving around a large city with no turn signals.

Thanks
Not working and flashing wildly which I take to mean real fast sometimes is a bad ground. These days of plastic cars everything has to be grounded, find your frount and rear harnesses and follow them to where they find metal and ground also check the signal lite housing it self for bad wires and corossion, sockets too.

'99 Blazer LT Loaded, K&N Filter, Pioneer Super
Tuner,Viper
'98 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, 3.8
'88 K1500 Cheyenne, 5.0, stock, bought new
'86 Nissan 720 Trash Truck
'69 C/10 step side, 307, all original, second owner, in process of restore.

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrurt the person doing it.
Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Allen- Paintman
Wrenchtwister
Broompusher
alblogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Hark
AF Newbie

Okay I guess I will try to put on the new hazard switch, then check the wiring and connectors. Apparently the left turn signal works about every other time normally, then the next time starts flashing very fast and doesn't work- puzzling.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
jimmysinner
AF Newbie

never had problem like this with my 04 but my 01 use to do that and it was indeed the hazard switch/relay
jimmysinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 AM   #11
wpbharry
AF Regular

Well, talk about irony of ironies. Three days ago, I encountered the EXACT same problem with my '04 Maxx. Driver's side turn signal indicator flashes wildly. I checked and both bulbs (front and rear) work fine, but only the front bulb flashes (wildly). The rear bulb doesn't flash at all. I forgot to try the hazard switch check.

I'm now covered by GMPP (orig warranty has expired, but I have 2 more years of extended coverage).

Unfortunately, I'm going out of town tomorrow for 10 days and won't get a chance to take it in until around the 17th or 18th. I also am about ready for an oil change and new wiper blades, so...

I'll report back when my Chevy dealer gets a hold of it.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Johnny R
AF Regular

This mayt be irrelevant - my neighbour had a trailer hitch and wiring installed on his '04. When he hooked the wiring to the trailer, it shorted out the taillight circuit board. The dealer replaced the board, but the trailer lights don't work. Neighbour figures he best leave it all alone now.
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
Hark
AF Newbie

Update - daughter finally came home for a few hours and her dad couldn't get the turn signal to act up. I know she wasn't imagining it because when I went to visit her it was flashing wildly, then you turn off the car and restart and it may or may not work or go crazy again - so it's an intermittent thing. Since we already had the part and no time to check wiring, he put the hazard switch on and once she got back home - it started acting up again. Her dad says until it quits for good she's going to have to live with it unless she wants to go to a dealer there and PAY - it's hard to diagnose something when the car isn't here. If the other person who had the problem finds a solution - I'd sure like to know what it is.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #14
wpbharry
AF Regular

Have an appt. with the dealer for the 18th. There's some stuff in Edmund's about this - looks like it might be a bad hazard switch. Was a common problem with the '97-'03 generation, too.

The problem with waiting is that, at least on mine, I have NO left-rear turn signal at all. Not so safe....
Old 09-26-2007, 05:41 AM   #15
wpbharry
AF Regular

After being delayed a week, I finally got the car in yesterday, and it was a simple matter of replacing the driver's side rear turn signal bulb. I suppose this is a dual-filament bulb, because it lit fine at night as a running light, just didn't blink....the dealer said that they've seen quite a few of these go on certain late-build '04s and early-build '05s.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu